RE: [Scouter_T] Re: BALOO Training

  • Deborah A. Krieger
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
      With the new Webelos badge...Earning the Webelos badge requirement 3
      must be changed. Because the new Webelos badge is only to be worn on
      the Tan shirt we may see the Blue shirt go away...The new Webelos hat of
      course is not designed for the activity badges to be pinned to it as was
      the previous hat...

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
        According to the #2 person in the Cub Scout Division, the launch of
        "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders" has been pushed back to
        mid-to-late November. Just thought you'd like to know.
        YiS,
        Jim Ball
        Council Training Chairman
        Central Florida Council

        Keith Tilley wrote:

        >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
        >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
        >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
        >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
        >was supposed to be released.
        >
        >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
        >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
        >library.
        >
        >Keith Tilley
        >Cub Scout Training Chairman
        >Hudson Valley Council, NY

        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

      • Richard Damon
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
          First note that there is a new book due out soon (if its not already out)
          which may change the requirements (part of the character connection
          revision). But according to the latest Uniform guide (2002-2004) the
          restriction on which shirt which badges can be worn on has been removed. The
          oval badge does not say it can only be worn on the tan uniform, so it may be
          worn on the blue (although it is a good time to move the boy to tan if he
          isn't already).

          The guide does not have the new cap, but I agree that without the protection
          flap it should not be used for the pins (I never recommended it anyway as
          the boys lose the caps too easily).

          Richard Damon
          --
          rbrdamon@... (Home)
          rdamon@... (Work)
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2003
            Lloyd Solis wrote: "I was under the impression that any changes in webelos
            was 'minor' ."

            There are a lot of changes in the new Webelos book. The requirements for
            the Webelos rank, Arrow of Light, and almost every activity badge have been
            modified, and Character Connections is only one reason. The new "Outdoor
            Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" course also had to accommodate
            changes in camping policy, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and age-appropriate
            "who can do what" policies that have occurred last year.

            Keith Tilley
            Hudson Valley Council, NY
          • John D. Halter
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2003
              In the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide, they show the oval badge on the tan shirt
              and the diamond for the "blue or tan shirt". It doesn't mention it in the
              text, but the picture would lead me to believe that the oval badge is only
              intended for the tan shirt.

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              Cubmaster
              Pack 230 Apopka Florida
              www.pack230.com
              Assistant Scoutmaster
              Troop 936 Longwood Florida
              Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9, 2004
                My District runs IOLS and OWL (using the old Syllabus) together and the
                learners get dual credit for attending. Much of it is so similar that
                where it diverges we make a big point of the differences. We also do
                quite a bit on the Webelos Outdoor group of Badges. The point of
                combining was that many of the Dens do all their camping requirements
                with a BS Troop and it would be helpful for the SM/ASM to have a
                refresher course of Webelos age level activities. From experience I know
                how a camp out with a Troop turned off a number of Webelos to the extent
                they quit the next Den Meeting AND My husband...long long ago....had a
                bad experience on a Webelos/Troop camp and he never went tinto a Troop
                and held a grudge against Scouting until about 2000 when I got him to
                training and Wood Badge.
                YIS,
                KRis Swank
                Okee Tuklo District Training Chair