Re: [Scouter_T] Re: BALOO Training

  • Lloyd Solis
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
      Keith Tilley wrote:

      >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
      >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
      >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
      >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
      >was supposed to be released.
      >
      >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
      >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
      >library.
      >
      >Keith Tilley
      >Cub Scout Training Chairman
      >Hudson Valley Council, NY
      >
      >Hmmm,

      I was under the impression that any changes in webelos was 'minor' .
      It's going to be interesting to see the new handbook to see if there is
      more than character connection additions.

      Thanks,

      Lloyd

    • Deborah A. Krieger
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
        With the new Webelos badge...Earning the Webelos badge requirement 3
        must be changed. Because the new Webelos badge is only to be worn on
        the Tan shirt we may see the Blue shirt go away...The new Webelos hat of
        course is not designed for the activity badges to be pinned to it as was
        the previous hat...

        >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
        >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
        >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos
        program
        >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time
        it
        >was supposed to be released.
        >
        >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the
        Webelos
        >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
        >library.
        >
        >Keith Tilley
        >Cub Scout Training Chairman
        >Hudson Valley Council, NY
        >
        >Hmmm,

        I was under the impression that any changes in webelos was 'minor' .
        It's going to be interesting to see the new handbook to see if there is
        more than character connection additions.

        Thanks,

        Lloyd

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
          According to the #2 person in the Cub Scout Division, the launch of
          "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders" has been pushed back to
          mid-to-late November. Just thought you'd like to know.
          YiS,
          Jim Ball
          Council Training Chairman
          Central Florida Council

          Keith Tilley wrote:

          >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
          >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
          >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
          >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
          >was supposed to be released.
          >
          >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
          >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
          >library.
          >
          >Keith Tilley
          >Cub Scout Training Chairman
          >Hudson Valley Council, NY

          >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

        • Richard Damon
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
            First note that there is a new book due out soon (if its not already out)
            which may change the requirements (part of the character connection
            revision). But according to the latest Uniform guide (2002-2004) the
            restriction on which shirt which badges can be worn on has been removed. The
            oval badge does not say it can only be worn on the tan uniform, so it may be
            worn on the blue (although it is a good time to move the boy to tan if he
            isn't already).

            The guide does not have the new cap, but I agree that without the protection
            flap it should not be used for the pins (I never recommended it anyway as
            the boys lose the caps too easily).

            Richard Damon
            --
            rbrdamon@... (Home)
            rdamon@... (Work)
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2003
              Lloyd Solis wrote: "I was under the impression that any changes in webelos
              was 'minor' ."

              There are a lot of changes in the new Webelos book. The requirements for
              the Webelos rank, Arrow of Light, and almost every activity badge have been
              modified, and Character Connections is only one reason. The new "Outdoor
              Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" course also had to accommodate
              changes in camping policy, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and age-appropriate
              "who can do what" policies that have occurred last year.

              Keith Tilley
              Hudson Valley Council, NY
            • John D. Halter
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2003
                In the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide, they show the oval badge on the tan shirt
                and the diamond for the "blue or tan shirt". It doesn't mention it in the
                text, but the picture would lead me to believe that the oval badge is only
                intended for the tan shirt.

                Thank you,

                John Halter
                Cubmaster
                Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                www.pack230.com
                Assistant Scoutmaster
                Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
                ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2004
                  My District runs IOLS and OWL (using the old Syllabus) together and the
                  learners get dual credit for attending. Much of it is so similar that
                  where it diverges we make a big point of the differences. We also do
                  quite a bit on the Webelos Outdoor group of Badges. The point of
                  combining was that many of the Dens do all their camping requirements
                  with a BS Troop and it would be helpful for the SM/ASM to have a
                  refresher course of Webelos age level activities. From experience I know
                  how a camp out with a Troop turned off a number of Webelos to the extent
                  they quit the next Den Meeting AND My husband...long long ago....had a
                  bad experience on a Webelos/Troop camp and he never went tinto a Troop
                  and held a grudge against Scouting until about 2000 when I got him to
                  training and Wood Badge.
                  YIS,
                  KRis Swank
                  Okee Tuklo District Training Chair