Re: [Scouter_T] BALOO Training

  • Lloyd Solis
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2003
      Hank Voegtle wrote:

      >Tonight was the district program kick-off for 2003-4. In looking over the
      >training schedule, I did not see BALOO as a course. As the course director
      >for the district's first course in 2001, I was a little concerned about
      >this. When I asked about it, I was told that it would be integrated into
      >the Outdoor Webelos Course, a program that includes two nights of camping.
      >Showing up for one day is not an option. The one-day course "may" be
      >offered in the spring.
      >
      >Having been the course director for our district's first course, I was more
      >than shocked by the idea that BALOO, an introductory course that
      >emphasizes "soft" camping will offered in this format. I'm tempted to steer
      >my pack leaders to districts were there is a one day course or offering it
      >in my pack as a one day course. Does anyone have thoughts on the matter?
      >Does anyone think I ought to contact the Council Executive or Council
      >Training Chair? Am I being too much of a curmudgeon about this? Am I wrong
      >to think that BALOO is one course that really ought to be taught according
      >to the syllabus?
      >
      >Thanks in advance.
      >

      >Yours in Scouting,
      >
      >Hank Voegtle--Eagle Scout-Class of '68
      >I used to be a Fox (SR-Y2K-X2)
      >Cubmaster, Pack 890, Dallas, Texas

      From everything I've learned and heard, BALOO is a stand-alone course.
      It is NOT to be 'mixed' or incorporated into any other sessions. It
      does not include an overnight experience.

      Beyond that, I think that 'expanding the scout leader's training
      experiences is not a bad idea. We did a 'double course' over a year ago
      that was BALOO from 8-5 and then WLOT till the next day about noon.
      There were about half of the BALOO participants that stayed over. The
      problem was that the trainers were so exhausted after about 30 hours
      since a large number of the participants (female, no less) stayed up
      partying till after 3AM.

      You might want to ask a few more questions to see what's on their
      agenda. Perhaps their BALOO will be sandwiched between other sessions.

      Lloyd
    • John D. Halter
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2003
        Our district has conducted the BALOO/WOLT training this way for the last
        two years. Like yours, the BALOO participants were only there from 8-5,
        though after seeing how much fun the others were having, several have wanted
        to stay. The leaders in our district have appreciated the flexibility in
        the way we have offered the course. We don't limit our recruitment to just
        Webelos leaders, we encourage Wolf & Bear leaders & welcome parents and
        leaders from all ranks.
        Regarding the original post, I could not imagine requiring BALOO
        participants to stay overnight. Like others have said, I would talk with
        the person organizing the event and find out exactly what they have planned.

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        Cubmaster
        Pack 230 Apopka Florida
        www.pack230.com
        Assistant Scoutmaster
        Troop 936 Longwood Florida
        Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
          The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
          released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
          significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
          made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
          was supposed to be released.

          In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
          Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
          library.

          Keith Tilley
          Cub Scout Training Chairman
          Hudson Valley Council, NY
        • Lloyd Solis
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
            Keith Tilley wrote:

            >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
            >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
            >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
            >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
            >was supposed to be released.
            >
            >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
            >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
            >library.
            >
            >Keith Tilley
            >Cub Scout Training Chairman
            >Hudson Valley Council, NY
            >
            >Hmmm,

            I was under the impression that any changes in webelos was 'minor' .
            It's going to be interesting to see the new handbook to see if there is
            more than character connection additions.

            Thanks,

            Lloyd

          • Deborah A. Krieger
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
              With the new Webelos badge...Earning the Webelos badge requirement 3
              must be changed. Because the new Webelos badge is only to be worn on
              the Tan shirt we may see the Blue shirt go away...The new Webelos hat of
              course is not designed for the activity badges to be pinned to it as was
              the previous hat...

              >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
              >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
              >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos
              program
              >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time
              it
              >was supposed to be released.
              >
              >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the
              Webelos
              >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
              >library.
              >
              >Keith Tilley
              >Cub Scout Training Chairman
              >Hudson Valley Council, NY
              >
              >Hmmm,

              I was under the impression that any changes in webelos was 'minor' .
              It's going to be interesting to see the new handbook to see if there is
              more than character connection additions.

              Thanks,

              Lloyd

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
                According to the #2 person in the Cub Scout Division, the launch of
                "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders" has been pushed back to
                mid-to-late November. Just thought you'd like to know.
                YiS,
                Jim Ball
                Council Training Chairman
                Central Florida Council

                Keith Tilley wrote:

                >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
                >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
                >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
                >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
                >was supposed to be released.
                >
                >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
                >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
                >library.
                >
                >Keith Tilley
                >Cub Scout Training Chairman
                >Hudson Valley Council, NY

                >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

              • Richard Damon
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
                  First note that there is a new book due out soon (if its not already out)
                  which may change the requirements (part of the character connection
                  revision). But according to the latest Uniform guide (2002-2004) the
                  restriction on which shirt which badges can be worn on has been removed. The
                  oval badge does not say it can only be worn on the tan uniform, so it may be
                  worn on the blue (although it is a good time to move the boy to tan if he
                  isn't already).

                  The guide does not have the new cap, but I agree that without the protection
                  flap it should not be used for the pins (I never recommended it anyway as
                  the boys lose the caps too easily).

                  Richard Damon
                  --
                  rbrdamon@... (Home)
                  rdamon@... (Work)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 8, 2003
                    Lloyd Solis wrote: "I was under the impression that any changes in webelos
                    was 'minor' ."

                    There are a lot of changes in the new Webelos book. The requirements for
                    the Webelos rank, Arrow of Light, and almost every activity badge have been
                    modified, and Character Connections is only one reason. The new "Outdoor
                    Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" course also had to accommodate
                    changes in camping policy, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and age-appropriate
                    "who can do what" policies that have occurred last year.

                    Keith Tilley
                    Hudson Valley Council, NY
                  • John D. Halter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2003
                      In the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide, they show the oval badge on the tan shirt
                      and the diamond for the "blue or tan shirt". It doesn't mention it in the
                      text, but the picture would lead me to believe that the oval badge is only
                      intended for the tan shirt.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2004
                        My District runs IOLS and OWL (using the old Syllabus) together and the
                        learners get dual credit for attending. Much of it is so similar that
                        where it diverges we make a big point of the differences. We also do
                        quite a bit on the Webelos Outdoor group of Badges. The point of
                        combining was that many of the Dens do all their camping requirements
                        with a BS Troop and it would be helpful for the SM/ASM to have a
                        refresher course of Webelos age level activities. From experience I know
                        how a camp out with a Troop turned off a number of Webelos to the extent
                        they quit the next Den Meeting AND My husband...long long ago....had a
                        bad experience on a Webelos/Troop camp and he never went tinto a Troop
                        and held a grudge against Scouting until about 2000 when I got him to
                        training and Wood Badge.
                        YIS,
                        KRis Swank
                        Okee Tuklo District Training Chair