Re: [Scouter_T] Trainer Pool?

  • Lloyd Solis
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
      Scouter Chuck wrote:

      >I was speaking with the new Training Chair for our District last
      >night. He told me that he doesn't want the same people giving the
      >same training time after time -- that he wants a pool of trainers
      >to call upon, to give the different trainings.
      >
      >I have a few problems with this approach -- most of them practical
      >rather than personal.
      >
      >1. The requires a larger pool of trainers
      >2. The person who can moderate an excellent BS-BLT may not be able
      > to moderate (TDC)TTT or TCC well at all.
      >3. Some people don't like to moderate certain trainings.
      >4. Most of us don't like to be moved around that often.
      >5. Not very many trainers are suited to certain subjects -- like
      > YPT.
      >
      >I'm interested in hearing any discussion on this issue.
      >
      >YiS,

      Chuck Bramlet

      It must be nice to have a pool of trainers adequate to satisfy the needs
      of this District Training Chair.
      We have one or two such districts in our council. Most of us have a
      handful of 'old faithfuls' and the rare emergence of a new energetic
      person willing to become a part of the team.

      My #1 goal has always been quality over quantity. Our council SE has
      mandated four consecutive September NLE / LST Saturday sessions in each
      district. That's a practical impossibility for us. We just don't have
      that many dedicated and qualified people; they certainly aren't willing
      to give up four consecutive Saturdays in one month. This is year 3 of
      that mandate. So far my district has managed ONE quality session in
      each of the past two years. This year our new District Training Chair
      is trying for more, including two Sunday 1-5 sessions to accommodate
      those who work Saturdays. Problem is getting teams together and
      recruiting participants.
      I am a real stickler for staff development. I abhor trainers who feel
      they can 'wing-it' and depend on others to 'wing it' along with them.
      That's what we've had - with Basic, YPT, Fast Start, NLE, LST, and even
      BALOO. When they won't take the time to plan it right, I offer my
      regrets and don't participate.

      Lloyd