RE: [Scouter_T] Trainer Pool?

  • Brant Lippincott
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
      I would LOVE to have a larger pool of trainers. Any
      ideas on recruiting some more??

      I am the Cub training chair for our district. I feel
      the same way about trainers. I would love to have 3
      or 4 or 5 folks who could each each of the
      cub-specific courses. I'm OK on NLE, but if I had a
      pool of trainers, I could likely get two per course
      with no problem. Right now, it seems like pulling
      teeth. I would not have anyone teach a course he/she
      did not want to. However, if I did not have someone
      to cover a particular course (e.g. Webelos), I would
      like to be able to ask someone else (e.g. Cubmaster).
      It's not a job where you would be required to do
      something. It's not like I have 10 people knocking
      down my door to be a trainer.

      I agree that not everyone is suited to or wants to
      teach every course. However, it's good sometimes to
      get out of your comfort zone.

      Burnout is a factor... We try and keep jobs to 2 or
      at the nost 3 years. (At least the chairs.) After
      that, burnout sets in and you are not as good.
      Trainers are a little different, but if I had 5 people
      who could do, say Webelos, you would do it once/year
      OR maybe I could offer the course 3x instead of
      2x/year.

      Just MHO. YMMV.

      For the boys,
      Brant Lippincott
      Cub Training Chair
      Great Plains District - Circle 10
      Plano, TX
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
        --- Brant Lippincott <brant@...> wrote:
        > I would LOVE to have a larger pool of trainers. Any
        > ideas on recruiting some more??

        Brant,

        I stepped out from under my training hat about:
        2 years back for Cub Basics
        1.5 years back for BALOO
        1 year back for Cub RT
        but when I was actively involved, the best trainers we
        had in my immediate area each had something in common.
        Each began quite small, say a 10-15 minute segment of
        a course or 1/3 to 1/2 of the old leader breakout
        sessions, or even smaller, bringing and leading one
        skit, song or game to Roundtable.

        Those who had a lot of fun or got bit by the training
        bug and wanted to be more involved were able to do so,
        either by taking on a larger segment or helping more
        often. Those who enjoyed helping but needed to limit
        their involvement (job constraints, spousal
        constraints, time weith family, whatever) could be
        counted on to come back again for a single segment,
        some for only one 15 minute segment a year, but they
        did it well and with energy, and that's what was
        important.

        It was more work on me in recruiting and scheduling,
        but it was worth it. Our sessions were enjoyable, and
        several times I was able to hold myself to the
        pre-organization, intros and some pizazz items. And if
        someone's wee one went ill on the morn of training
        day, I was free to jump in instead of figure out how
        to fit in yet another session.

        'Start Small' though was how I originally slid under a
        trainer's hat myself so it was very natural to
        continue the tradition once I knew I was bit.

        Kevin outta Norman, America

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
          In a message dated 8/6/03 11:55:08 AM, antelope95@... writes:

          > He told me that he doesn't want the same people giving the
          > same training time after time -- that he wants a pool of trainers
          > to call upon, to give the different trainings.

          In our district, we are able to make this approach work. We have a large
          district. Geographically, we cover two whole counties, and a sliver of a third.
          There are approximately 95 units in the district of
          which 45-50 are packs, approx. 30 are troops and the remainder are crews. We
          have approximately 40-50 individuals on the district training team,
          responsible for NLE, Cub Scout and Boy Scout Position Specific courses, Den Chief
          training, YPT, BALOO, WLOT, and IOLS. Venturing training is done on a council level.
          Trainers are assigned to the Cub Scout or Boy Scout sections, primarily by
          unit affiliation (but not necessarily). In general, members of the Commissioner
          Corps are not recruited as trainers, although we have some. At our large mass
          sessions in Fall & Spring, we make a point of having a Venturing unit adult
          leader as a NLE presenter, in addition to Cub Scout and Boy Scout presenters (we
          like the idea that it reinforces the continuum of Scouting)

          We conduct NLE and YPT 7-8 times (each) during a September through June
          program year. We teach Troop Committee Challenge 3-4 times, SM/ASM twice, Cub Scout
          PST 7 times, IOLS/BALOO/WLOT on a single weekend once (we hope to make this
          twice, soon), and Den Chief training once. On occasion we also present a
          district level JLT. In addition, we will present NLE, YPT, or any position specific
          course (except SM/ASM) on a unit level with one month's notice. We end up
          doing 6-8 additional sessions of this type each year. We are also hoping to
          conduct some supplemental training this year on our mega training days. As you can
          see, providing this level of training with 10-15 individuals would be deadly
          for the trainers, if not logistically impossible.

          How do we make it work? We look out for individuals who show up at RT, and
          other events who are articulate and knowledgeable, and invite them to be
          trainers. If they say no, we ask again in a couple months. We emphasize that they are
          not making a commitment to every course date, but only one or two. We
          recognize them with certificates and public appreciation at roundtable and other
          events (district dinner). Every individual who trains for me gets a personal
          hand written thank you note after each session s/he teaches. We provide them with
          syllabuses far in advance, so they can prepare. They "apprentice" as second
          chair trainers with an experienced trainer. We conduct our own district level
          TDC. We have a couple "Presentation Gurus" who help with A/V, so the trainers
          don't have to worry about equipment.

          This year's training schedule was created last February and has been
          published for several months.
          However, the first question I will be asked when I walk into Roundtable in
          September will be - "When can I get my new leaders trained?". My answer will
          be: "Any time you want".

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          Pack Trainer
          P. 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District

        • Lloyd Solis
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
            Scouter Chuck wrote:

            >I was speaking with the new Training Chair for our District last
            >night. He told me that he doesn't want the same people giving the
            >same training time after time -- that he wants a pool of trainers
            >to call upon, to give the different trainings.
            >
            >I have a few problems with this approach -- most of them practical
            >rather than personal.
            >
            >1. The requires a larger pool of trainers
            >2. The person who can moderate an excellent BS-BLT may not be able
            > to moderate (TDC)TTT or TCC well at all.
            >3. Some people don't like to moderate certain trainings.
            >4. Most of us don't like to be moved around that often.
            >5. Not very many trainers are suited to certain subjects -- like
            > YPT.
            >
            >I'm interested in hearing any discussion on this issue.
            >
            >YiS,

            Chuck Bramlet

            It must be nice to have a pool of trainers adequate to satisfy the needs
            of this District Training Chair.
            We have one or two such districts in our council. Most of us have a
            handful of 'old faithfuls' and the rare emergence of a new energetic
            person willing to become a part of the team.

            My #1 goal has always been quality over quantity. Our council SE has
            mandated four consecutive September NLE / LST Saturday sessions in each
            district. That's a practical impossibility for us. We just don't have
            that many dedicated and qualified people; they certainly aren't willing
            to give up four consecutive Saturdays in one month. This is year 3 of
            that mandate. So far my district has managed ONE quality session in
            each of the past two years. This year our new District Training Chair
            is trying for more, including two Sunday 1-5 sessions to accommodate
            those who work Saturdays. Problem is getting teams together and
            recruiting participants.
            I am a real stickler for staff development. I abhor trainers who feel
            they can 'wing-it' and depend on others to 'wing it' along with them.
            That's what we've had - with Basic, YPT, Fast Start, NLE, LST, and even
            BALOO. When they won't take the time to plan it right, I offer my
            regrets and don't participate.

            Lloyd