Re: BALOO Training

  • Lady T
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6 6:59 AM
      Thank you, I too, am looking for the new syllabus for Outdoor Leader
      Skills for Webelos Den Leaders. Has it been released yet? Anyone
      have the stock number for ordering it?

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Brant Lippincott <brant@l...> wrote:
      > Hank & Others,
      >
      > Greetings all...
      >
      > We teach BALOO basically according to the syllabus.
      > We have found that we can consolidate a little bit and
      > run the course from about 8 to 2 or 2:30. We
      > integrate some of the teaching points with the doing,
      > so it flows really well and we get done a bit quicker.
      >
      > I have yet to see the sylabus for "Outdoor Leader
      > Skills for Webelos Den Leaders", so if anyone has a
      > soft copy, I would love to see it. I've encountered
      > resistance from our DE on teaching the OLD course. He
      > believes that it has been pulled and replaced with
      > IOLS. I have not been successful in getting the
      > Webelos leaders to go to that course (maybe 10 in the
      > last two years).
      >
      > For the Boys,
      > Brant Lippincott
      > Cub Training Chair
      > Great Plains District
      > Circle 10 Council
      > Plano, TX
    • David Gross
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6 7:00 AM
        > From: Hank Voegtle <pack890cm@...>
        > Subject: BALOO Training
        >
        > [BALOO] ... integrated into the Outdoor Webelos
        > Course, a program that includes two nights of
        > camping. Showing up for one day is not an option.

        Does your area have the
        oft-reported-but-never-seen-by-me new WLOT syllabus?
        The reason I ask is that the old one did not have two
        nights of camping (it had two formats, one night or
        none). Or did you mean that they are doing BALOO,
        WLOT, and IOLS (introduction to outdoor leadership
        skills) as a combined course. ILOS is typically done
        with two nights.

        I've run outdoor training weekends with all of these
        in parallel, thus making good use of resources like
        staff, materials, events, but we always treated them
        as separate courses with separate objectives.

        > Does anyone have thoughts on the matter?

        Yes. I think that they are dead wrong to do this.
        I've been the BALOO course instructor 3 times, and you
        are completely correct -- the idea is that the
        participant may have NO outdoor experience. A prime
        course objective is to get them set up to acquire the
        camping equipment, so having the camp is counter
        productive.

        > Does anyone think I ought to contact the Council
        > Executive or Council Training Chair?

        Hard to say, as I don't know your council. I'd be
        comfortable talking to my DE & district training
        chair, and then the council folks as needed. But the
        only response I'd expect here is: "gosh, can you
        direct the course" :-)

        > Am I being too much of a curmudgeon about this?

        No. I don't think you should be angry or grumpy about
        it. I suspect that these folks are trying to
        economize on resources (like staff), and don't realize
        how they are violating the point of the course. I
        think you can & should help them understand.

        > Am I wrong to think that BALOO is one course that
        > really ought to be taught according to the syllabus?

        Yes, you are wrong. ALL of the courses should be
        taught by the syllabus (see, I am the curmudeon :-).

        YiS,

        David

        =====
        David Gross
        SA-TG SR-556

        SM T-142, UC
        AOL, Eagle/3, OA/B, SB
        "I used to be a fox, .."

        Registered in, but not speaking for, the Greater Alabama Council

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6 9:04 AM
          Comment on the point I left below - I would say that BALOO is
          designed for basics and planning. It is not just for inexperienced
          campers, experienced campers with their eyes and ears opened
          will learn things that they never took into consideration. In
          all the BALOO's I've served on staff there are always comments from
          'experienced' campers that they learned a lot more than they thought
          they would. I usually pick up something from the participants each
          time through.

          Pete Mullaney

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6 12:44 PM
            Hank Voegtle wrote:

            >Tonight was the district program kick-off for 2003-4. In looking over the
            >training schedule, I did not see BALOO as a course. As the course director
            >for the district's first course in 2001, I was a little concerned about
            >this. When I asked about it, I was told that it would be integrated into
            >the Outdoor Webelos Course, a program that includes two nights of camping.
            >Showing up for one day is not an option. The one-day course "may" be
            >offered in the spring.
            >
            >Having been the course director for our district's first course, I was more
            >than shocked by the idea that BALOO, an introductory course that
            >emphasizes "soft" camping will offered in this format. I'm tempted to steer
            >my pack leaders to districts were there is a one day course or offering it
            >in my pack as a one day course. Does anyone have thoughts on the matter?
            >Does anyone think I ought to contact the Council Executive or Council
            >Training Chair? Am I being too much of a curmudgeon about this? Am I wrong
            >to think that BALOO is one course that really ought to be taught according
            >to the syllabus?
            >
            >Thanks in advance.
            >

            >Yours in Scouting,
            >
            >Hank Voegtle--Eagle Scout-Class of '68
            >I used to be a Fox (SR-Y2K-X2)
            >Cubmaster, Pack 890, Dallas, Texas

            From everything I've learned and heard, BALOO is a stand-alone course.
            It is NOT to be 'mixed' or incorporated into any other sessions. It
            does not include an overnight experience.

            Beyond that, I think that 'expanding the scout leader's training
            experiences is not a bad idea. We did a 'double course' over a year ago
            that was BALOO from 8-5 and then WLOT till the next day about noon.
            There were about half of the BALOO participants that stayed over. The
            problem was that the trainers were so exhausted after about 30 hours
            since a large number of the participants (female, no less) stayed up
            partying till after 3AM.

            You might want to ask a few more questions to see what's on their
            agenda. Perhaps their BALOO will be sandwiched between other sessions.

            Lloyd
          • John D. Halter
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6 1:54 PM
              Our district has conducted the BALOO/WOLT training this way for the last
              two years. Like yours, the BALOO participants were only there from 8-5,
              though after seeing how much fun the others were having, several have wanted
              to stay. The leaders in our district have appreciated the flexibility in
              the way we have offered the course. We don't limit our recruitment to just
              Webelos leaders, we encourage Wolf & Bear leaders & welcome parents and
              leaders from all ranks.
              Regarding the original post, I could not imagine requiring BALOO
              participants to stay overnight. Like others have said, I would talk with
              the person organizing the event and find out exactly what they have planned.

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              Cubmaster
              Pack 230 Apopka Florida
              www.pack230.com
              Assistant Scoutmaster
              Troop 936 Longwood Florida
              Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7 4:57 AM
                The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
                released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
                significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
                made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
                was supposed to be released.

                In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
                Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
                library.

                Keith Tilley
                Cub Scout Training Chairman
                Hudson Valley Council, NY
              • Lloyd Solis
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7 5:20 AM
                  Keith Tilley wrote:

                  >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
                  >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
                  >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
                  >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
                  >was supposed to be released.
                  >
                  >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
                  >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
                  >library.
                  >
                  >Keith Tilley
                  >Cub Scout Training Chairman
                  >Hudson Valley Council, NY
                  >
                  >Hmmm,

                  I was under the impression that any changes in webelos was 'minor' .
                  It's going to be interesting to see the new handbook to see if there is
                  more than character connection additions.

                  Thanks,

                  Lloyd

                • Deborah A. Krieger
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7 5:48 AM
                    With the new Webelos badge...Earning the Webelos badge requirement 3
                    must be changed. Because the new Webelos badge is only to be worn on
                    the Tan shirt we may see the Blue shirt go away...The new Webelos hat of
                    course is not designed for the activity badges to be pinned to it as was
                    the previous hat...

                    >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
                    >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
                    >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos
                    program
                    >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time
                    it
                    >was supposed to be released.
                    >
                    >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the
                    Webelos
                    >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
                    >library.
                    >
                    >Keith Tilley
                    >Cub Scout Training Chairman
                    >Hudson Valley Council, NY
                    >
                    >Hmmm,

                    I was under the impression that any changes in webelos was 'minor' .
                    It's going to be interesting to see the new handbook to see if there is
                    more than character connection additions.

                    Thanks,

                    Lloyd

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7 6:54 AM
                      According to the #2 person in the Cub Scout Division, the launch of
                      "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders" has been pushed back to
                      mid-to-late November. Just thought you'd like to know.
                      YiS,
                      Jim Ball
                      Council Training Chairman
                      Central Florida Council

                      Keith Tilley wrote:

                      >The "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" syllabus should be
                      >released in the next several weeks. As you've all noticed, it was
                      >significantly delayed, in large part because changes to the Webelos program
                      >made it obsolete between the time development was finished and the time it
                      >was supposed to be released.
                      >
                      >In the meantime, if you can't wait for the new one, keep using the Webelos
                      >Leader Outdoor Training syllabus from the old Cub Scout Basic Training
                      >library.
                      >
                      >Keith Tilley
                      >Cub Scout Training Chairman
                      >Hudson Valley Council, NY

                      >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

                    • Richard Damon
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7 9:14 PM
                        First note that there is a new book due out soon (if its not already out)
                        which may change the requirements (part of the character connection
                        revision). But according to the latest Uniform guide (2002-2004) the
                        restriction on which shirt which badges can be worn on has been removed. The
                        oval badge does not say it can only be worn on the tan uniform, so it may be
                        worn on the blue (although it is a good time to move the boy to tan if he
                        isn't already).

                        The guide does not have the new cap, but I agree that without the protection
                        flap it should not be used for the pins (I never recommended it anyway as
                        the boys lose the caps too easily).

                        Richard Damon
                        --
                        rbrdamon@... (Home)
                        rdamon@... (Work)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8 5:15 AM
                          Lloyd Solis wrote: "I was under the impression that any changes in webelos
                          was 'minor' ."

                          There are a lot of changes in the new Webelos book. The requirements for
                          the Webelos rank, Arrow of Light, and almost every activity badge have been
                          modified, and Character Connections is only one reason. The new "Outdoor
                          Leader Skills for Webelos Den Leaders" course also had to accommodate
                          changes in camping policy, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and age-appropriate
                          "who can do what" policies that have occurred last year.

                          Keith Tilley
                          Hudson Valley Council, NY
                        • John D. Halter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8 7:07 AM
                            In the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide, they show the oval badge on the tan shirt
                            and the diamond for the "blue or tan shirt". It doesn't mention it in the
                            text, but the picture would lead me to believe that the oval badge is only
                            intended for the tan shirt.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 9, 2004
                              My District runs IOLS and OWL (using the old Syllabus) together and the
                              learners get dual credit for attending. Much of it is so similar that
                              where it diverges we make a big point of the differences. We also do
                              quite a bit on the Webelos Outdoor group of Badges. The point of
                              combining was that many of the Dens do all their camping requirements
                              with a BS Troop and it would be helpful for the SM/ASM to have a
                              refresher course of Webelos age level activities. From experience I know
                              how a camp out with a Troop turned off a number of Webelos to the extent
                              they quit the next Den Meeting AND My husband...long long ago....had a
                              bad experience on a Webelos/Troop camp and he never went tinto a Troop
                              and held a grudge against Scouting until about 2000 when I got him to
                              training and Wood Badge.
                              YIS,
                              KRis Swank
                              Okee Tuklo District Training Chair