BALOO Training

  • Hank Voegtle
    Message 1 of 128 , Aug 5, 2003
      Tonight was the district program kick-off for 2003-4. In looking over the
      training schedule, I did not see BALOO as a course. As the course director
      for the district's first course in 2001, I was a littled concerned about
      this. When I asked about it, I was told that it would be integrated into
      the Outdoor Webelos Course, a program that includes two nights of camping.
      Showing up for one day is not an option. The one-day course "may" be
      offered in the spring.

      Having been the course director for our district's first course, I was more
      than shocked by the idea that BALOO, an introductory course that
      emphasizes "soft" camping will offered in this format. I'm tempted to steer
      my pack leaders to districts were there is a one day course or offering it
      in my pack as a one day course. Does anyone have thoughts on the matter?
      Does anyone think I ought to contact the Council Executive or Council
      Training Chair? Am I being too much of a curmudgeon about this? Am I wrong
      to think that BALOO is one course that really ought to be taught according
      to the syllabus?

      Thanks in advance.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Hank Voegtle--Eagle Scout-Class of '68
      I used to be a Fox (SR-Y2K-X2)
      Cubmaster, Pack 890, Dallas, Texas
    • scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Message 128 of 128 , Oct 1 12:06 AM
        ----- THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE -----

        GROUP DESCRIPTION
        Messages sent to this group should be DIRECTLY related to training. If
        you have a question or comment that isn't related to training it should
        be sent to one of the other lists (Scouts-L, Cub-Scout-Talk, etc.) that
        cater to the type of question you are asking. A list of e-mail groups
        can be found at:
        http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/Resources/E-Mail_Lists/

        If you see a question on this list that you don't feel is directly
        related to training, please DON'T reply to it on the list. If you
        choose to reply to it, send the reply directly to the author.

        If you see a thread that you don't feel is related to training and it
        doesn't die on it's own, please send a message to the group owner
        (wbrown@...) and I will review the thread and see if the thread
        should be terminated.

        GROUP FEATURES
        ---------------------
        FILES AREA - We have file folders for the various leader training
        events and other training related resources in the Files Area. Feel
        free to browse and use what is there and add to them when you have
        information you feel everyone can benefit from seeing or using.

        BOOKMARKS AREA - In the bookmarks section, we have links to many
        training resources. If you know of any additional sites related to
        training, please add it.

        DATABASE AREA - In the database section we have a database with
        syllabus information. If you have a syllabus that isn't there please
        add it. If you can think of a useful training database that we don't
        have you can create it.

        POLLS AREA - Please stop by and let us know what your position is in
        scouting or update it when it changes. Put your thinking cap on and
        start a new one anytime.

        CALENDAR AREA - Check for training dates or add your own.

        POSTING TO THIS GROUP

        MESSAGE DELIVERY OPTIONS
        ------------------------
        To receive message digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
        scouter_t-digest@yahoogroups.com

        To receive individual messages instead of digests, send email to:
        scouter_t-normal@yahoogroups.com

        To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the
        Web), send an email to:
        scouter_t-nomail@yahoogroups.com

        CONTACTING THE GROUP OWNER

        Yahoo! Groups Help:
        http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/

        Your Yahoo! Groups
        http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups/

        PROBLEMS GETTING INTO FILES / DATABASES / POLLS / ETC.
        the file name. If you are looking for a database try going to
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t/ clicking on "Database" and
        then the database name.

        2) You may have to associate your Yahoo ID with your e-mail address. To
        do this go to http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups/ and try logging in. If
        you don't see the Scouter_T group (or you don't have a Yahoo login ID)
        you will need to do the following:

        If you don't have a Yahoo account click on the "New Member? Click here
        to register for FREE!" link on the right side of the page.

        Once you have your id you will need to go to the "Account Wizard"
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/memwiz) to associate your e-mail address with
        your Yahoo account. The easiest way I've found to do this is to enter
        the E-Mail address you want to use in the box under "Don't have a
        password? Forgot your password?". Then click on Continue.

        You should now be at a second screen that will ask for a confirmation
        number. That number will have been automatically e-mailed to the
        e-mail address you entered on the previous page. Get your mail from
        that account and copy the code into the space provided and click on
        continue.

        You will now be asked to login. Follow the instructions and you should
        be logged into Yahoo with your e-mail address associated with your
        account and you should have full access to all web based areas of
        YahooGroups.

        Wendell Brown - wbrown@...