Pizzazz!

  • llk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
      Does anyone have any ideas for an ongoing skit?

      We are going to have a TDC in a month and one of the ideas from the
      Staff was to have an running skit, one that has a similar theme
      throught the conference. We'll have songs and maybe a few other
      things as well, but, it might be nice idea to have a ongoing skit...

      Any ideas?

      Laura Kilby
      Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
      Quivira Council, Kansas
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
        Just a thought - why not write yourself a 'racing' (not racy ;-)
        skit? You could have commentary throughout the training about
        who was in the lead, running out of gas, etc. Maybe some bad
        joke (racing oriented) run-ons? Bad one ahead -> Q:"Why do all the
        race car drivers eat beans before the race?" A: "So they don't run
        out of gas."

        With that I saw adieu,
        Pete Mullaney

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
          There once was a lawyer...
          Who had a big case...

          There are a series of "run on" type mini-skits that evolve around a
          lawyer and his case. Sometimes called the "Briefcase", you can find it
          at: http://www.macscouter.com/Skits/
          along with other "Short Skits, Walk-ons, and One-liners". The MacScouter
          site is a great resource for skits and songs and other such pizzazz
          items. Bon Appetite!

          YiS,
          Jim

          llk wrote:

          >Does anyone have any ideas for an ongoing skit?
          >
          >We are going to have a TDC in a month and one of the ideas from the
          >Staff was to have an running skit, one that has a similar theme
          >throught the conference. We'll have songs and maybe a few other
          >things as well, but, it might be nice idea to have a ongoing skit...
          >

          >Any ideas?
          >
          >Laura Kilby
          >Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
          >Quivira Council, Kansas

          >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

        • Faun Guarino
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2003
            Laura
            I was responsible for Pizzazz (both the end-of-day presentation and the
            through-the-day "stuff.")

            I supplied candy (Smarties, Caught Doing Good lollipops, chocolate
            racing cars) for the presenters to distribute.

            I got a joke book and found every joke that pertained to training and
            racing...then I tried to match them to the topic being presented. I got
            engineer's hats through Rhode Island Novelty and a train whistle. I also
            have a child's railroad crossing sign. Armed with these props, my
            partner and I delivered a run-on at the end of most sessions. For example:

            END OF SESSION 1: HOW AND WHY WE TRAIN LEADERS

            Faun: Hey Laine, what is the difference between a locomotive engineer
            and a teacher?
            Laine: I dont know Faun, what IS the difference between a locomotive
            engineer and a teacher?
            Faun: One minds the train, the other trains the mind!

            END OF SESSION 2: HOW ADULTS LEARN

            Laine: Hey Faun, why did the absentminded professor put glue on his head?
            Faun: Gee Laine, I dont know. Why DID he do that?
            Laine: Because he thought it would help things stick in his mind!

            We also got them up and outside to do the choo choo charlie song (also
            the Trainer's Tribute), following a little wooden train I pulled (a
            holdover from my cub training sessions - altho' I wasn't able to buy the
            mini-boxes of Good 'n Plenty in March. It's only available at Halloween
            time.)

            I also made posters of sayings (words of wisdom - e.g., Training Delayed
            is Program Denied OR EXAMPLE IS NOT
            THE MAIN THING IN INFLUENCING OTHERS...ITS THE ONLY THING) using the
            recommended colors (see the posters presentation).

            But my favorite was the ads I created and hung up around the room with
            the words of wisdom. For example, I cut out the shape of a large Tylenol
            bottle, copying colors and typeface, writing: Extra Strength
            TRAIN-EM-ALL: stress reducer, program enhancer. Take as needed. Another
            ad used the Target logo (red and white bullseye), and read TARGET
            untrained leaders. I did about a half dozen ads.

            I also made neckerchiefs out of racecar printed fabric -- when I ran out
            I substituted black and white checkered fabric. I also made racecar
            neckerchief slides (from the old pinewood derby molds). Staff chipped in
            and bought their own so it didn't come out of the budget.

            Have fun with it - I did. As much as I panicked when I first got the
            assignment, I absolutely loved it, and so did the participants.

            Good luck with your course!

            Faun Guarino
            Long Island, NY