Re: [Scouter_T] Communications Training -- For Scouts

  • R Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
      Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

      > So, other than leaving the matter to chance, how could you "sneak"
      > communications training for Boy Scouts into a Troop program? Some
      > possibilities:
      >
      > -- If you have a Closing Circle or other "fellowship" opportunity at
      > meetings, ask each Scout to say a little something (small to medium Troops).
      > -- Regular skits, songs, jokes, demonstrations, or other entertainment;
      > individually, in buddy pairs, and as Patrols.
      > -- Offer the Communications Merit Badge at Troop meetings once or twice a
      > year, with the Troop serving as the audience for speeches and presentations.
      > -- Each Scout has a position of responsibility within his Patrol and gives a
      > report to the Patrol at each meeting.
      > -- Individual "coaching" for the SPL and PLs by the SM and ASMs, as
      > opportunities present themselves.
      >
      > Other ideas?

      How about:

      "Big Deal" campfires on campouts - complete with MC, Song leader, Cheer Leader,
      skits, stories etc.

      MC at Courts of Honor

      Patrol Leader Introduce Patrol members to Boards of Review - SPL introduce PL's,
      ASPL's, QM, Scribe etc.

      Skills Instruction sessions

      Openings and Closings that are a bit more elaborate, or that have a cameo
      presentation.

      Trip reports to the Troop Committee and/or at Courts of Honor

      Encourage the Troop to volunteer an OA election team

      YiS

      Roy Fisher
    • NeilLup@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2003
        In a message dated 6/10/03 9:38:50 PM, ghotier@... writes:

        > > So, other than leaving the matter to chance, how could you "sneak"
        > > communications training for Boy Scouts into a Troop program?

        I could see on a Troop campout a communications relay. Each patrol is
        going to be given a message. Each patrol member has to pass it to another
        patrol member (perhaps over some distance) using a different method of
        communication. They have one hour (or whatever) to prepare for the relay, they off
        they go as a patrol competition. Prizes for speed and accuracy.

        Best wishes,

        Neil Lupton

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2003
          Neil Lupton wrote...

          > I could see on a Troop campout a communications relay. Each patrol is
          > going to be given a message. Each patrol member has to pass it to another
          > patrol member (perhaps over some distance) using a different method of
          > communication.

          There is also the gametime approach. There used to be a game
          called "gossip". The teams, however many you want, are each
          lined up. The leader is given a written item that he can only
          tell about. He tells the person next to him in line, and they
          tell the next, etc.

          The winner is the team that passes the info most accurately,
          and in the shortest time. Accuracy beats speed.

          It's a real eye opener to see what comes out the end sometimes.
          A little like the gossip scene in "Fiddler on the Roof", that
          came up with a number of outlandish rumors about Tevya and Golde.

          YiS,

          Chuck