Re: Communications Training (spinoff of Announcements Song)

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
      I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
      problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
      never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
      floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
      problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
      SPLs.

      (It's nice when you have a success story)

      Bill
    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
        Debbie,

        Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
        skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
        Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
        every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
        people.

        In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
        our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
        be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
        prepare.

        An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
        <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
        Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
        better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

        If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
        communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
        on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
        a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
        communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
        you.

        Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
        communications and leadership skills as well :o)

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken