Re: Communications Training (spinoff of Announcements Song)

  • Michael Brown
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
      > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
      speakers.

      Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
      involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
      as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
      who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
      them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

      For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
      to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
      Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

      Michael Brown
      SW Florida Council
    • Bill Nelson
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
        I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
        problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
        never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
        floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
        problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
        SPLs.

        (It's nice when you have a success story)

        Bill
      • Ken Todd
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
          Debbie,

          Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
          skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
          Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
          every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
          people.

          In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
          our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
          be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
          prepare.

          An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
          <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
          Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
          better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

          If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
          communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
          on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
          a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
          communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
          you.

          Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
          communications and leadership skills as well :o)

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken

          http://calendar.yahoo.com