RE: whiny politically correct...

  • dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2003
      George asked:

      "Geez, is anybody else sick of the whiny politically
      "correct c... that has infiltrated Scouting?"

      *Personal opinion mode=ON*

      No, I'm not. Particularly as trainers, I feel we have
      a need to be sensitive to the feelings of others. It
      goes with that point of the Scout law that deals with
      "KIND."

      Letting a meeting agenda be hijacked by high-spirited
      folks singing the Announcemts song, "Back to Gilwell,"
      or any other fun, but intrusive action IS rude.

      For all fun things there is a place. The staff at our
      summer camp has a great deal of fun with the
      Announcements song each day at the end of lunch.
      Encouraging the campers to sing, throwing in lots of
      verses and really getting the dining hall rocking. It
      is great.

      While working as a staffer at Jamboree, each evening
      at dinner announcements of vital importance were made
      each night at supper. The young fellow who drew the
      duty was the camp "go-fer"--easy to make fun of and
      not particularly respected by the gizzled staffers in
      our subcamp. He was harrased nightly by boisterous
      Scouters who seemed more interested in maintaining a
      goofy "tradition" than listening to what he had to
      say. One evening when the crowd was particularly
      rowdy, he simply could not get control of the
      situation to make his announcements. After waiting
      quietly for a few moments he joined in with the
      verses, and when the crowd ran out he started singing
      verses I'd never heard. The crowd kept up for a bit
      but were soon outclassed and fell silent. He then
      sang a couple of more all by himself. He stopped,
      swept the tent with a level gaze, calmly made his
      announcements, thanked us, and left. For the rest of
      the Jamboree he had no problem getting our attention
      and doing his job.

      Every Scouter there that evening learned the point
      this extended thread has been bouncing around.
      Respect. It is a quality that is earned, but also one
      that should be freely given. Putting others in a
      situation of discomfort, beyond beig rude, is
      disrespectful. I interpret nothing in the Scout Oath
      or Law that tolerates disrespect.

      As role models to young people and trainers of
      Scouters, I feel it is particularly important for us
      to be Kind and Courteous to others. Even if it falls
      to us to be "politically correct." Even if it isn't
      quite as much fun. Even if it is a pain in the neck
      sometimes.

      *Personal opinion mode=OFF*

      Yours in the spirit of Scouting,

      Dan O'Canna, Lexington, KY

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Chris Jacobi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2003
        Dan.
        thanks for a good posting.
        Not only did you stop the redneck whining about "politically" correct but
        1) you showed how something really can act as harassment
        2) one good way to stop it (the one in the story AND the one in the e-mail)
        Chris
      • Laura Kilby
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2003
          Hi Y'all!

          Has anyone ever heard of, or participated in a "Me and My Shadow" type of
          training? My understand is that it's a weekend that combines Outdoor
          Leadership skills and District type JLT training.

          Anyway, just curious about it.

          Thanks,
          Laura Kilby
          Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
          Quivira Council, Kansas
        • David Seibold
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
            This sounds interesting... can you give us any further details of your
            program?

            David Seibold
            Chartered Organization Representative
            Joint Roundtable Commissioner