Re: [Scouter_T] Communications Training (spinoff of Announcements Song)

  • Margaret Eacker
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 5 1:19 PM
      A lot of that is covered in TDC.
      Everyone is a "trainer" in one way or another.
      I had hoped when TTT was changed that they would change the name so as
      to be more inviting to a broader group - oh well I guess it is up to
      all of us to recommend that everyone attend and if you can talk you
      council onto it invite the SPL's and troop instructors.

      YiS

      Margaret Eacker
      Double Buffalo

      On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

      > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside
      > from
      > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
      > leaders
      > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
      > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
      > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
      > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being
      > leader?
      >
      > Dan Kurtenbach
      > Fairfax, VA

      <image.tiff>

      >   scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com

    • Laura Kilby
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 5 3:27 PM
        We will be doing a district level TDC, specifically because we do want to
        include as many as possible, especially the older youth.

        Laura
        Santa Fe Trail, District Training Chair
        Quivira Council, Kansas
      • Debbie Beer
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 9 11:38 AM
          I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public speakers.
          I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in another
          troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
          presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for crew
          advancement, he was unable to speak. After talking to the scout and the
          parents, I found out that the troop that this boy came from did not prepare
          him for public speaking. They did not do skits, songs, or troop
          presentations. His boards of review were a set of questions that were
          basically set by the scoutmaster. This scout is a senior patrol leader and
          a life scout. It makes you wonder about the quality of the leadership that
          let him get this far without being able to prepare for a simple board of
          review, or a simple demonstration in front of his own troop.

          I feel so sorry for this scout when he tries to go for a job interview or
          any other type of engagement that would require him to speak in front of
          others. I feel that feel that all this nonsense we do in scouting like
          songs, skits, announcements really does help the scouts and the leaders
          become better public speakers. It really does have a purpose and should not
          end when a boy or a leader advances from cubscouting to the next level.

          > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
          > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
          leaders
          > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
          > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
          > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
          > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
          > leader?
          >
          > Dan Kurtenbach
          > Fairfax, VA

        • Bill Nelson
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 9 12:39 PM
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
            > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
            speakers.
            > I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in
            another
            > troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
            > presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for
            crew
            > advancement, he was unable to speak.

            Crew awards, in Venturing, require teaching.

            But I agree with you the public speaking is something that we should
            stress with the Scouts. That was one reason for the Communications
            merit badge.

            Bill
          • Michael Brown
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 9 2:22 PM
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
              > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
              speakers.

              Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
              involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
              as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
              who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
              them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

              For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
              to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
              Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

              Michael Brown
              SW Florida Council
            • Bill Nelson
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 9 7:00 PM
                I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
                problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
                never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
                floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
                problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
                SPLs.

                (It's nice when you have a success story)

                Bill
              • Ken Todd
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 10 12:29 PM
                  Debbie,

                  Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
                  skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
                  Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
                  every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
                  people.

                  In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
                  our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
                  be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
                  prepare.

                  An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
                  <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
                  Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
                  better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

                  If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
                  communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
                  on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
                  a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
                  communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
                  you.

                  Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
                  communications and leadership skills as well :o)

                  Yours in Scouting,
                  Ken

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com