Re: [Scouter_T] Communications Training (spinoff of Announcements Song)

  • Margaret Eacker
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
      A lot of that is covered in TDC.
      Everyone is a "trainer" in one way or another.
      I had hoped when TTT was changed that they would change the name so as
      to be more inviting to a broader group - oh well I guess it is up to
      all of us to recommend that everyone attend and if you can talk you
      council onto it invite the SPL's and troop instructors.

      YiS

      Margaret Eacker
      Double Buffalo

      On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

      > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside
      > from
      > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
      > leaders
      > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
      > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
      > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
      > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being
      > leader?
      >
      > Dan Kurtenbach
      > Fairfax, VA

      <image.tiff>

      >   scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com

    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
        Rick,
        How far do we go? Will you remove #58 Mountain Dew from your
        'onedarknight' page?
        The following two lines are in the song: "My cousin Mort, He's sawed off
        and short,
        He measures just four foot two,". Do you think this could be embarrassing
        to a
        vertically challenged boy, even if only one person turns around and stares
        at him when
        this verse is sung? I know your intent is not to offend anyone with these
        lines but it could
        happen. I'd be much more concerned if you included songs with the intention
        to offend
        certain people.

        Pete Mullaney

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
          We will be doing a district level TDC, specifically because we do want to
          include as many as possible, especially the older youth.

          Laura
          Santa Fe Trail, District Training Chair
          Quivira Council, Kansas
        • Debbie Beer
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
            I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public speakers.
            I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in another
            troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
            presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for crew
            advancement, he was unable to speak. After talking to the scout and the
            parents, I found out that the troop that this boy came from did not prepare
            him for public speaking. They did not do skits, songs, or troop
            presentations. His boards of review were a set of questions that were
            basically set by the scoutmaster. This scout is a senior patrol leader and
            a life scout. It makes you wonder about the quality of the leadership that
            let him get this far without being able to prepare for a simple board of
            review, or a simple demonstration in front of his own troop.

            I feel so sorry for this scout when he tries to go for a job interview or
            any other type of engagement that would require him to speak in front of
            others. I feel that feel that all this nonsense we do in scouting like
            songs, skits, announcements really does help the scouts and the leaders
            become better public speakers. It really does have a purpose and should not
            end when a boy or a leader advances from cubscouting to the next level.

            > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
            > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
            leaders
            > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
            > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
            > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
            > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
            > leader?
            >
            > Dan Kurtenbach
            > Fairfax, VA

          • Bill Nelson
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
              > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
              speakers.
              > I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in
              another
              > troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
              > presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for
              crew
              > advancement, he was unable to speak.

              Crew awards, in Venturing, require teaching.

              But I agree with you the public speaking is something that we should
              stress with the Scouts. That was one reason for the Communications
              merit badge.

              Bill
            • Michael Brown
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                speakers.

                Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
                involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
                as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
                who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
                them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

                For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
                to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
                Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

                Michael Brown
                SW Florida Council
              • Bill Nelson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                  I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
                  problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
                  never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
                  floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
                  problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
                  SPLs.

                  (It's nice when you have a success story)

                  Bill
                • Ken Todd
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
                    Debbie,

                    Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
                    skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
                    Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
                    every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
                    people.

                    In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
                    our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
                    be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
                    prepare.

                    An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
                    <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
                    Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
                    better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

                    If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
                    communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
                    on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
                    a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
                    communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
                    you.

                    Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
                    communications and leadership skills as well :o)

                    Yours in Scouting,
                    Ken

                    http://calendar.yahoo.com