Re: [Scouter_T] Communications Training (spinoff of Announcements Song)

  • Margaret Eacker
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
      A lot of that is covered in TDC.
      Everyone is a "trainer" in one way or another.
      I had hoped when TTT was changed that they would change the name so as
      to be more inviting to a broader group - oh well I guess it is up to
      all of us to recommend that everyone attend and if you can talk you
      council onto it invite the SPL's and troop instructors.

      YiS

      Margaret Eacker
      Double Buffalo

      On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

      > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside
      > from
      > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
      > leaders
      > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
      > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
      > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
      > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being
      > leader?
      >
      > Dan Kurtenbach
      > Fairfax, VA

      <image.tiff>

      >   scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com

    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
        Brenda,
        In my short 11 years of experience with CS RT's I'll tell you that
        I never saw anyone got bored by an announcement song, however I have
        seen many people get bored with announcers who drone on and on.
        One of the versions goes: "Make the announcements short and sweet"
        which is something that any announcer should pay attention to. Give
        the facts (not a biography), have a flyer, and answer short questions
        - do longer discussions 'off-line'. If your announcers do this I doubt
        the people will get bored, even if they have just sung "announcements
        are boring".
        If someone broke into the song in the middle of an announcement I
        would consider that to be rude. The few times I've used it have always
        been as a prelude to announcements.

        Pete M.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
          Rick,
          How far do we go? Will you remove #58 Mountain Dew from your
          'onedarknight' page?
          The following two lines are in the song: "My cousin Mort, He's sawed off
          and short,
          He measures just four foot two,". Do you think this could be embarrassing
          to a
          vertically challenged boy, even if only one person turns around and stares
          at him when
          this verse is sung? I know your intent is not to offend anyone with these
          lines but it could
          happen. I'd be much more concerned if you included songs with the intention
          to offend
          certain people.

          Pete Mullaney

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
            We will be doing a district level TDC, specifically because we do want to
            include as many as possible, especially the older youth.

            Laura
            Santa Fe Trail, District Training Chair
            Quivira Council, Kansas
          • Debbie Beer
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
              I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public speakers.
              I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in another
              troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
              presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for crew
              advancement, he was unable to speak. After talking to the scout and the
              parents, I found out that the troop that this boy came from did not prepare
              him for public speaking. They did not do skits, songs, or troop
              presentations. His boards of review were a set of questions that were
              basically set by the scoutmaster. This scout is a senior patrol leader and
              a life scout. It makes you wonder about the quality of the leadership that
              let him get this far without being able to prepare for a simple board of
              review, or a simple demonstration in front of his own troop.

              I feel so sorry for this scout when he tries to go for a job interview or
              any other type of engagement that would require him to speak in front of
              others. I feel that feel that all this nonsense we do in scouting like
              songs, skits, announcements really does help the scouts and the leaders
              become better public speakers. It really does have a purpose and should not
              end when a boy or a leader advances from cubscouting to the next level.

              > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
              > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
              leaders
              > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
              > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
              > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
              > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
              > leader?
              >
              > Dan Kurtenbach
              > Fairfax, VA

            • Bill Nelson
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                speakers.
                > I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in
                another
                > troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                > presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for
                crew
                > advancement, he was unable to speak.

                Crew awards, in Venturing, require teaching.

                But I agree with you the public speaking is something that we should
                stress with the Scouts. That was one reason for the Communications
                merit badge.

                Bill
              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                  > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                  speakers.

                  Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
                  involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
                  as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
                  who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
                  them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

                  For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
                  to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
                  Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

                  Michael Brown
                  SW Florida Council
                • Bill Nelson
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                    I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
                    problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
                    never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
                    floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
                    problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
                    SPLs.

                    (It's nice when you have a success story)

                    Bill
                  • Ken Todd
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
                      Debbie,

                      Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
                      skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
                      Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
                      every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
                      people.

                      In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
                      our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
                      be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
                      prepare.

                      An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
                      <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
                      Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
                      better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

                      If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
                      communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
                      on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
                      a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
                      communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
                      you.

                      Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
                      communications and leadership skills as well :o)

                      Yours in Scouting,
                      Ken

                      http://calendar.yahoo.com