Communications Training (spinoff of Announcements Song)

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 5 9:55 AM
      Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
      the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give leaders
      any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
      non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
      comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
      counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
      leader?

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
    • Margaret Eacker
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 5 1:19 PM
        A lot of that is covered in TDC.
        Everyone is a "trainer" in one way or another.
        I had hoped when TTT was changed that they would change the name so as
        to be more inviting to a broader group - oh well I guess it is up to
        all of us to recommend that everyone attend and if you can talk you
        council onto it invite the SPL's and troop instructors.

        YiS

        Margaret Eacker
        Double Buffalo

        On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

        > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside
        > from
        > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
        > leaders
        > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
        > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
        > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
        > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being
        > leader?
        >
        > Dan Kurtenbach
        > Fairfax, VA

        <image.tiff>

        >   scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com

      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 5 1:45 PM
          Brenda,
          In my short 11 years of experience with CS RT's I'll tell you that
          I never saw anyone got bored by an announcement song, however I have
          seen many people get bored with announcers who drone on and on.
          One of the versions goes: "Make the announcements short and sweet"
          which is something that any announcer should pay attention to. Give
          the facts (not a biography), have a flyer, and answer short questions
          - do longer discussions 'off-line'. If your announcers do this I doubt
          the people will get bored, even if they have just sung "announcements
          are boring".
          If someone broke into the song in the middle of an announcement I
          would consider that to be rude. The few times I've used it have always
          been as a prelude to announcements.

          Pete M.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5 2:24 PM
            Rick,
            How far do we go? Will you remove #58 Mountain Dew from your
            'onedarknight' page?
            The following two lines are in the song: "My cousin Mort, He's sawed off
            and short,
            He measures just four foot two,". Do you think this could be embarrassing
            to a
            vertically challenged boy, even if only one person turns around and stares
            at him when
            this verse is sung? I know your intent is not to offend anyone with these
            lines but it could
            happen. I'd be much more concerned if you included songs with the intention
            to offend
            certain people.

            Pete Mullaney

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 5 3:27 PM
              We will be doing a district level TDC, specifically because we do want to
              include as many as possible, especially the older youth.

              Laura
              Santa Fe Trail, District Training Chair
              Quivira Council, Kansas
            • Debbie Beer
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 9 11:38 AM
                I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public speakers.
                I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in another
                troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for crew
                advancement, he was unable to speak. After talking to the scout and the
                parents, I found out that the troop that this boy came from did not prepare
                him for public speaking. They did not do skits, songs, or troop
                presentations. His boards of review were a set of questions that were
                basically set by the scoutmaster. This scout is a senior patrol leader and
                a life scout. It makes you wonder about the quality of the leadership that
                let him get this far without being able to prepare for a simple board of
                review, or a simple demonstration in front of his own troop.

                I feel so sorry for this scout when he tries to go for a job interview or
                any other type of engagement that would require him to speak in front of
                others. I feel that feel that all this nonsense we do in scouting like
                songs, skits, announcements really does help the scouts and the leaders
                become better public speakers. It really does have a purpose and should not
                end when a boy or a leader advances from cubscouting to the next level.

                > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
                > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
                leaders
                > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
                > leader?
                >
                > Dan Kurtenbach
                > Fairfax, VA

              • Bill Nelson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 9 12:39 PM
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                  > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                  speakers.
                  > I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in
                  another
                  > troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                  > presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for
                  crew
                  > advancement, he was unable to speak.

                  Crew awards, in Venturing, require teaching.

                  But I agree with you the public speaking is something that we should
                  stress with the Scouts. That was one reason for the Communications
                  merit badge.

                  Bill
                • Michael Brown
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 9 2:22 PM
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                    > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                    speakers.

                    Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
                    involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
                    as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
                    who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
                    them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

                    For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
                    to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
                    Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

                    Michael Brown
                    SW Florida Council
                  • Bill Nelson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 9 7:00 PM
                      I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
                      problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
                      never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
                      floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
                      problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
                      SPLs.

                      (It's nice when you have a success story)

                      Bill
                    • Ken Todd
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 10 12:29 PM
                        Debbie,

                        Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
                        skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
                        Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
                        every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
                        people.

                        In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
                        our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
                        be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
                        prepare.

                        An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
                        <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
                        Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
                        better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

                        If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
                        communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
                        on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
                        a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
                        communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
                        you.

                        Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
                        communications and leadership skills as well :o)

                        Yours in Scouting,
                        Ken

                        http://calendar.yahoo.com