Re: hazing and Announcement song

  • Horowitze1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      Greetings Fellow Scouters! This is an interesting thread and though I am both
      a huge Bill Nelson and Dan Kurtenbach fan, I must take sides with Dan on this
      one.
      In this age of changing values that deem what was not right 25 years ago is
      OK now, it's always been refreshing to me that Scouting has been a 'safe haven'
      from ridiculous assertions of 'political correctness'.
      Part of our job as leaders is to do our best to be proper role models and
      mentors of the youth we serve. Our ability to convey to the youth what is and
      what is not acceptable behavior is important, and what many of us call 'good
      clean fun', really is nothing more than 'good clean fun'.
      Try as I may, in no way do I see the Announcement Song as anything other than
      'good clean fun', and I would have trouble (and I am speaking strictly for
      myself) letting the boys and adult leaders know that this is a form a hazing.

      Where do we go from here? Do we take away the JC Penney skit? (Geez, for that
      matter, I can think of a lot of skits that would have to go.)

      In all social situations there are certain 'degrees' of what is acceptable
      and what is not, and I think most Scouters have a good feel for this
      'thermometer.'
      Pretty soon, we'll have no degrees left, and it'll be real cold out there!

      Thank you for your time, and if you'll excuse me, I'm on my way to Roundtable
      as I have a couple of quick announcements to make.
      YIS.
      Ed Horowitz
      Unit Commissioner
      Membership Chairman