Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Announcements Song

  • John D. Halter
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
      I was thinking about this earlier tonight. I was reminded of a song that is
      sometimes sung when a person shows up late for something. The group sings
      "Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness, birds in
      the wilderness, Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, waiting for {Late
      person} to come". Does anyone else do this?
      BTW...I'm usually the "late person", so I've heard it sung to me a bunch.
      :- )

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Cubmaster
      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      www.pack230.com
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 3, 2003
        Can we consider this topic closed? There are lots of verses to this
        song which can be found by doing a search on the words Announcements +"way to
        die", including one that I found on The Mac Scouter,
        http://www.macscouter.com/usscouts/songs/announce.html

        Dave

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
      • Wendell Brown
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 4, 2003
          On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:08:02 -0400, Dave Loomis wrote:

          > Can we consider this topic closed? There are lots of verses to this
          >song which can be found by doing a search on the words Announcements +"way to
          >die", including one that I found on The Mac Scouter,
          > http://www.macscouter.com/usscouts/songs/announce.html

          Yeah Dave. I think we need to close this topic. It really isn't
          related to training.

          Wendell Brown
          Moderator Scouter_T
        • Debbie Beer
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
            I will have to say I totally agree with this statement.

            As a public speaker you have to learn to deal with all kinds of
            interruptions and impromptu situations. I can understand that someone who
            is very shy might have a problem with the interruption. I would also expect
            an experienced scouter to take that person by the hand and lead them right
            back up on stage and help them finish what they started. The experience
            would be a great confidence builder for all involved at that point.

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
              I have scouts that love to sing the little tea pot song. They get a kick
              out of having fun in the spirit of scouting. Remember if they do not want
              to sing the song we do not force them to sing the song.

              I have had the tea pot song work in two different ways. When they were very
              young they tried harder to keep track of what they brought to camp.
              However, when they got older they planted belongings so that they could get
              up and sing the tea pot song.

              I have also had kids volunteer to stand up with the singer and end up
              including the whole group in the song. They think of it as a tradition. In
              fact they feel like something is missing if they go through a whole camp out
              with out singing the song. I guess hazing is in how you present the
              program. The response I have had with the kids is definitely not a hazing,
              but a fellowship with my scouts.

              Just my two cents worth.
              > > putting this in the category of "hazing," just as I would have
              > difficulty
              > > calling it hazing to sing "Happy Birthday" to someone, surprise
              > someone with
              > > the District Award of Merit, or sing the Announcement Song in a
              > spirit of
              > > good Scouting fun. I think hazing requires an *intent* to harm or
              > > embarrass.
              >
              > Or have them sing 'I'm a little tea pot' if they loose something
              > at summer camp? Nope, your participating in a type of hazing
              > with the announcement song. you are making fun of the
              > person giving the announcement. you are hazing AND heckling them
              >
              > bill

            • Dan Kurtenbach
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
                the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give leaders
                any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
                leader?

                Dan Kurtenbach
                Fairfax, VA
              • Margaret Eacker
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                  A lot of that is covered in TDC.
                  Everyone is a "trainer" in one way or another.
                  I had hoped when TTT was changed that they would change the name so as
                  to be more inviting to a broader group - oh well I guess it is up to
                  all of us to recommend that everyone attend and if you can talk you
                  council onto it invite the SPL's and troop instructors.

                  YiS

                  Margaret Eacker
                  Double Buffalo

                  On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

                  > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside
                  > from
                  > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
                  > leaders
                  > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                  > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                  > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                  > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being
                  > leader?
                  >
                  > Dan Kurtenbach
                  > Fairfax, VA

                  <image.tiff>

                  >   scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com

                • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Brenda,
                    In my short 11 years of experience with CS RT's I'll tell you that
                    I never saw anyone got bored by an announcement song, however I have
                    seen many people get bored with announcers who drone on and on.
                    One of the versions goes: "Make the announcements short and sweet"
                    which is something that any announcer should pay attention to. Give
                    the facts (not a biography), have a flyer, and answer short questions
                    - do longer discussions 'off-line'. If your announcers do this I doubt
                    the people will get bored, even if they have just sung "announcements
                    are boring".
                    If someone broke into the song in the middle of an announcement I
                    would consider that to be rude. The few times I've used it have always
                    been as a prelude to announcements.

                    Pete M.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                      Rick,
                      How far do we go? Will you remove #58 Mountain Dew from your
                      'onedarknight' page?
                      The following two lines are in the song: "My cousin Mort, He's sawed off
                      and short,
                      He measures just four foot two,". Do you think this could be embarrassing
                      to a
                      vertically challenged boy, even if only one person turns around and stares
                      at him when
                      this verse is sung? I know your intent is not to offend anyone with these
                      lines but it could
                      happen. I'd be much more concerned if you included songs with the intention
                      to offend
                      certain people.

                      Pete Mullaney

                      I am starting to become concerned. It appears that now intent is more
                      important than actions. while to some degree, intent has to be considered,
                      someone who has never been taught that something is rude is still being rude
                      if they participate in the offending activity - weather they realize it or
                      not.

                      <snip>
                      Rick

                    • Laura Kilby
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                        We will be doing a district level TDC, specifically because we do want to
                        include as many as possible, especially the older youth.

                        Laura
                        Santa Fe Trail, District Training Chair
                        Quivira Council, Kansas
                      • Debbie Beer
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                          I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public speakers.
                          I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in another
                          troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                          presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for crew
                          advancement, he was unable to speak. After talking to the scout and the
                          parents, I found out that the troop that this boy came from did not prepare
                          him for public speaking. They did not do skits, songs, or troop
                          presentations. His boards of review were a set of questions that were
                          basically set by the scoutmaster. This scout is a senior patrol leader and
                          a life scout. It makes you wonder about the quality of the leadership that
                          let him get this far without being able to prepare for a simple board of
                          review, or a simple demonstration in front of his own troop.

                          I feel so sorry for this scout when he tries to go for a job interview or
                          any other type of engagement that would require him to speak in front of
                          others. I feel that feel that all this nonsense we do in scouting like
                          songs, skits, announcements really does help the scouts and the leaders
                          become better public speakers. It really does have a purpose and should not
                          end when a boy or a leader advances from cubscouting to the next level.

                          > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
                          > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
                          leaders
                          > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                          > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                          > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                          > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
                          > leader?
                          >
                          > Dan Kurtenbach
                          > Fairfax, VA

                        • Bill Nelson
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                            > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                            speakers.
                            > I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in
                            another
                            > troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                            > presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for
                            crew
                            > advancement, he was unable to speak.

                            Crew awards, in Venturing, require teaching.

                            But I agree with you the public speaking is something that we should
                            stress with the Scouts. That was one reason for the Communications
                            merit badge.

                            Bill
                          • Michael Brown
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                              > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                              speakers.

                              Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
                              involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
                              as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
                              who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
                              them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

                              For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
                              to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
                              Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

                              Michael Brown
                              SW Florida Council
                            • Bill Nelson
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                                I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
                                problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
                                never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
                                floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
                                problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
                                SPLs.

                                (It's nice when you have a success story)

                                Bill
                              • Ken Todd
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
                                  Debbie,

                                  Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
                                  skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
                                  Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
                                  every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
                                  people.

                                  In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
                                  our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
                                  be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
                                  prepare.

                                  An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
                                  <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
                                  Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
                                  better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

                                  If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
                                  communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
                                  on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
                                  a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
                                  communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
                                  you.

                                  Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
                                  communications and leadership skills as well :o)

                                  Yours in Scouting,
                                  Ken

                                  http://calendar.yahoo.com