Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Announcements Song

  • Kevin Pate
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
      > Or have them sing 'I'm a little tea pot'

      And now, live on stage, the teapot counter-measure
      song
      drum roll please

      I'm a little tea pot,
      short and stout
      Here is my handle,
      Here is my handle
      (pause, look quizical, then give a heavy sigh)
      Oh mannnnnnn, I'm a sugar bowl
      (exit stage right as you shake head slowly
      & sadly, with shoulders slumped)

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Dan Kurtenbach
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
        Brenda wrote, "Whether or not the Announcements Song is hazing or not, it's
        certainly rude. Is that what we want to teach our boys?"

        Again, with respect, I don't think you can lay down a blanket rule that the
        Announcements Song is always rude. And I would suggest again that something
        is rude only if there is some *intent* to be rude. Indeed, if in a Pack
        meeting or other gathering where the song is *always* sung and is always
        expected, it might be rude *not* to welcome a speaker with it.

        Situations where the Announcements Song is sung, like Pack Meetings and
        Roundtables, are intended to be vortices of fun, and that is part of the
        reason people come. While people do come to such gatherings to get
        "important information," there is no reason why announcements have to stomp
        all over the general mood of good humor. Many announcements, even if
        important, ARE boring. They don't apply to many people in the room, or they
        go on too long, or they are being made at the wrong time or in the wrong
        meeting. That is why we try to keep them short and to the point and have
        them at an appropriate time.

        And that leads to one reason why the Announcements Song is a good and useful
        tool. A good meeting has a rhythm -- peaks and valleys of excitement and
        calm, fun and seriousness, with good transitions in between. Cheers,
        run-ons, jokes, and songs are very useful in transitioning between parts of
        a meeting. The Announcements Song is good because it is not only fun, but
        the lyrics themselves relate to the next segment of the meeting and signal
        the audience that, at the end of the song, it will be time to be calm for a
        few minutes. It is much more effective than trying to bring the fun to a
        dead stop all at once.

        Dan Kurtenbach
        Fairfax, VA
      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
          Dan wrote: <snip> And I would suggest again that something is rude only
          if there is some *intent* to be rude. <snip>

          Dan,

          I'd have to disagree with that. Consider the case where several adults
          stand in the back of a Scout meeting having a loud conversation. They
          continue talking, despite the fact that every person in the room has the
          Scout Sign up and are waiting for them to realize that everyone is
          waiting for them. They have no intent to be rude, yet they are.

          Consider the situation at a ball game where people don't remove their
          hat for the National Anthem. While some would consider it simply
          disrespectful, my son and daughters (14, 13 and 5) will waste no time in
          identifying (after the anthem, of course) every single person who didn't
          remove their cap. My son has even gone so far as to approach individuals
          in this case and remind them (politely, of course) that it is customary
          to remove one's cap for the Anthem in order to show respect for our
          flag, our nation, and our veterans.

          I don't think you can make the case that rudeness requires intent.
          Often, people who are being rude are oblivious to their actions.

          YiS,
          Sean
        • Dan Kurtenbach
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
            Thanks, Sean. Actually, your examples are exactly what I am talking about
            -- they *aren't* examples of rudeness. "Rudeness," like "hazing," is not a
            morally neutral word; there is something bad about rudeness. Therefore when
            we conclude that someone was "rude," we are in some small way calling his
            virtue into question -- that is, his *intent.* Your examples show
            inattention or ignorance or obliviousness, but not rudeness.

            The problem is that people affected by things that other people
            unintentionally do (or don't do) sometimes draw a conclusion based on how
            they feel, not on what actually happened. And then we end up characterizing
            what happened by an incorrect conclusion rather than by the actual facts,
            and that conclusion often deals with the relative virtue of the "offender."
            Inattention becomes rudeness. And in many cases people do that because they
            feel exactly the same way as they do when someone *intentionally* does
            something to them. What happened is, "he didn't pay attention to what I was
            saying"; the feeling is, "I'm hurt that he didn't listen"; the conclusion
            is, "he was rude." What happened is, "I have a very hard time speaking in
            front of people and the song threw me"; the feeling is, "I was very
            embarrassed and stressed"; the conclusion is, "that song is hurtful." What
            happened is, "he didn't take off his cap for the National Anthem"; the
            feeling is, "every good American shows proper respect for the Flag"; the
            conclusion is, "he is disrespectful and unpatriotic."

            Hope that explains my thinking on this.

            Dan Kurtenbach
            Fairfax, VA
          • KAREN & RICK RAMBO
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
              I am starting to become concerned. It appears that now intent is more important than actions. while to some degree, intent has to be considered, someone who has never been taught that something is rude is still being rude if they participate in the offending activity - weather they realize it or not.

              We used to have the scout that lost something sing 'squirrelly, squirrelly, shake your bushy tail' to get it back, but when we considered the embarrassment factor, we stopped , same with turning the boy upside down to receive their bobcat badge, and - yes, the announcement song. what do the three of these things have in common? when the ADULTS who are supposed to be ROLE MODELS changed the rules, it was the BOYS who were the most upset. it is only natural for BOYS to enjoy anything that might be embarrassing to someone else, but it is the ADULT's job to help them learn the difference.

              Rick
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • John D. Halter
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                I was thinking about this earlier tonight. I was reminded of a song that is
                sometimes sung when a person shows up late for something. The group sings
                "Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness, birds in
                the wilderness, Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, waiting for {Late
                person} to come". Does anyone else do this?
                BTW...I'm usually the "late person", so I've heard it sung to me a bunch.
                :- )

                Thank you,

                John Halter
                Cubmaster
                Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                www.pack230.com
                Assistant Scoutmaster
                Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
                ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
                > I am starting to become concerned. It appears that now intent is more
                important than actions. while to some degree, intent has to be considered,
                someone who has never been taught that something is rude is still being rude
                if they participate in the offending activity - weather they realize it or
                not.

                > We used to have the scout that lost something sing 'squirrelly,
                squirrelly, shake your bushy tail' to get it back, but when we considered
                the embarrassment factor, we stopped , same with turning the boy upside down
                to receive their bobcat badge, and - yes, the announcement song. what do the
                three of these things have in common? when the ADULTS who are supposed to be
                ROLE MODELS changed the rules, it was the BOYS who were the most upset. it
                is only natural for BOYS to enjoy anything that might be embarrassing to
                someone else, but it is the ADULT's job to help them learn the difference.

                > Rick

              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Can we consider this topic closed? There are lots of verses to this
                  song which can be found by doing a search on the words Announcements +"way to
                  die", including one that I found on The Mac Scouter,
                  http://www.macscouter.com/usscouts/songs/announce.html

                  Dave

                  245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                • Wendell Brown
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 4, 2003
                    On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:08:02 -0400, Dave Loomis wrote:

                    > Can we consider this topic closed? There are lots of verses to this
                    >song which can be found by doing a search on the words Announcements +"way to
                    >die", including one that I found on The Mac Scouter,
                    > http://www.macscouter.com/usscouts/songs/announce.html

                    Yeah Dave. I think we need to close this topic. It really isn't
                    related to training.

                    Wendell Brown
                    Moderator Scouter_T
                  • Debbie Beer
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                      I will have to say I totally agree with this statement.

                      As a public speaker you have to learn to deal with all kinds of
                      interruptions and impromptu situations. I can understand that someone who
                      is very shy might have a problem with the interruption. I would also expect
                      an experienced scouter to take that person by the hand and lead them right
                      back up on stage and help them finish what they started. The experience
                      would be a great confidence builder for all involved at that point.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                        I have scouts that love to sing the little tea pot song. They get a kick
                        out of having fun in the spirit of scouting. Remember if they do not want
                        to sing the song we do not force them to sing the song.

                        I have had the tea pot song work in two different ways. When they were very
                        young they tried harder to keep track of what they brought to camp.
                        However, when they got older they planted belongings so that they could get
                        up and sing the tea pot song.

                        I have also had kids volunteer to stand up with the singer and end up
                        including the whole group in the song. They think of it as a tradition. In
                        fact they feel like something is missing if they go through a whole camp out
                        with out singing the song. I guess hazing is in how you present the
                        program. The response I have had with the kids is definitely not a hazing,
                        but a fellowship with my scouts.

                        Just my two cents worth.
                        > > putting this in the category of "hazing," just as I would have
                        > difficulty
                        > > calling it hazing to sing "Happy Birthday" to someone, surprise
                        > someone with
                        > > the District Award of Merit, or sing the Announcement Song in a
                        > spirit of
                        > > good Scouting fun. I think hazing requires an *intent* to harm or
                        > > embarrass.
                        >
                        > Or have them sing 'I'm a little tea pot' if they loose something
                        > at summer camp? Nope, your participating in a type of hazing
                        > with the announcement song. you are making fun of the
                        > person giving the announcement. you are hazing AND heckling them
                        >
                        > bill

                      • Dan Kurtenbach
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                          Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
                          the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give leaders
                          any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                          non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                          comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                          counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
                          leader?

                          Dan Kurtenbach
                          Fairfax, VA
                        • Margaret Eacker
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                            A lot of that is covered in TDC.
                            Everyone is a "trainer" in one way or another.
                            I had hoped when TTT was changed that they would change the name so as
                            to be more inviting to a broader group - oh well I guess it is up to
                            all of us to recommend that everyone attend and if you can talk you
                            council onto it invite the SPL's and troop instructors.

                            YiS

                            Margaret Eacker
                            Double Buffalo

                            On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Dan Kurtenbach wrote:

                            > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside
                            > from
                            > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
                            > leaders
                            > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                            > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                            > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                            > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being
                            > leader?
                            >
                            > Dan Kurtenbach
                            > Fairfax, VA

                            <image.tiff>

                            >   scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com

                          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                              Brenda,
                              In my short 11 years of experience with CS RT's I'll tell you that
                              I never saw anyone got bored by an announcement song, however I have
                              seen many people get bored with announcers who drone on and on.
                              One of the versions goes: "Make the announcements short and sweet"
                              which is something that any announcer should pay attention to. Give
                              the facts (not a biography), have a flyer, and answer short questions
                              - do longer discussions 'off-line'. If your announcers do this I doubt
                              the people will get bored, even if they have just sung "announcements
                              are boring".
                              If someone broke into the song in the middle of an announcement I
                              would consider that to be rude. The few times I've used it have always
                              been as a prelude to announcements.

                              Pete M.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                                Rick,
                                How far do we go? Will you remove #58 Mountain Dew from your
                                'onedarknight' page?
                                The following two lines are in the song: "My cousin Mort, He's sawed off
                                and short,
                                He measures just four foot two,". Do you think this could be embarrassing
                                to a
                                vertically challenged boy, even if only one person turns around and stares
                                at him when
                                this verse is sung? I know your intent is not to offend anyone with these
                                lines but it could
                                happen. I'd be much more concerned if you included songs with the intention
                                to offend
                                certain people.

                                Pete Mullaney

                                I am starting to become concerned. It appears that now intent is more
                                important than actions. while to some degree, intent has to be considered,
                                someone who has never been taught that something is rude is still being rude
                                if they participate in the offending activity - weather they realize it or
                                not.

                                <snip>
                                Rick

                              • Laura Kilby
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 5, 2003
                                  We will be doing a district level TDC, specifically because we do want to
                                  include as many as possible, especially the older youth.

                                  Laura
                                  Santa Fe Trail, District Training Chair
                                  Quivira Council, Kansas
                                • Debbie Beer
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                                    I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public speakers.
                                    I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in another
                                    troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                                    presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for crew
                                    advancement, he was unable to speak. After talking to the scout and the
                                    parents, I found out that the troop that this boy came from did not prepare
                                    him for public speaking. They did not do skits, songs, or troop
                                    presentations. His boards of review were a set of questions that were
                                    basically set by the scoutmaster. This scout is a senior patrol leader and
                                    a life scout. It makes you wonder about the quality of the leadership that
                                    let him get this far without being able to prepare for a simple board of
                                    review, or a simple demonstration in front of his own troop.

                                    I feel so sorry for this scout when he tries to go for a job interview or
                                    any other type of engagement that would require him to speak in front of
                                    others. I feel that feel that all this nonsense we do in scouting like
                                    songs, skits, announcements really does help the scouts and the leaders
                                    become better public speakers. It really does have a purpose and should not
                                    end when a boy or a leader advances from cubscouting to the next level.

                                    > Debbie has hit on an issue that really *is* training related -- aside from
                                    > the substance of Scouting, to what extent do we (or should we) give
                                    leaders
                                    > any training on speaking to groups (kids, adults, mixed, Scouting,
                                    > non-Scouting, mixed), non-verbal communication (how to make a Scout
                                    > comfortable in a Scoutmaster conference, for example), how to conduct a
                                    > counseling session, and other "background" skills that come with being a
                                    > leader?
                                    >
                                    > Dan Kurtenbach
                                    > Fairfax, VA

                                  • Bill Nelson
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                                      > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                                      speakers.
                                      > I had one boy come to our Venture Crew after spending many years in
                                      another
                                      > troop in his community. The first time this scout had to make a
                                      > presentation and the first time he had to do a board of review for
                                      crew
                                      > advancement, he was unable to speak.

                                      Crew awards, in Venturing, require teaching.

                                      But I agree with you the public speaking is something that we should
                                      stress with the Scouts. That was one reason for the Communications
                                      merit badge.

                                      Bill
                                    • Michael Brown
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Beer" <beer@c...> wrote:
                                        > I really do think that we need to prepare our scouts to be public
                                        speakers.

                                        Being a very shy person, I've always credited the fact that I was
                                        involved in Boy Scouts as a youth and had to get in front of my troop
                                        as a PL and later SPL, as well as an English teacher in high school
                                        who felt the best way to learn to give speeches was to do a lot of
                                        them with my ability to get up in front of a group and speak.

                                        For most people, they have to go thru Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters
                                        to get the same benefits I got as a youth... (and I've gone thru
                                        Dale Carnegie and have joined Toastmasters).

                                        Michael Brown
                                        SW Florida Council
                                      • Bill Nelson
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                                          I had a boy join my troop who had a very serious public speaking
                                          problem. Not only did he studder, but he also had the habit of
                                          never lifting his head to talk to someone (constantly talking to the
                                          floor instead of the person). He ended up overcoming his speaking
                                          problems, mostly, and becoming, after a few years, one of our better
                                          SPLs.

                                          (It's nice when you have a success story)

                                          Bill
                                        • Ken Todd
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
                                            Debbie,

                                            Public speaking is one of the most feared, and often most important
                                            skill that people need in business and other organizations, like
                                            Scouting. I strongly agree that we need to encourage our youth to take
                                            every opportunity to become comfortable speaking in front of other
                                            people.

                                            In our Troop, we rotate the responsibility of Master of Ceremonies at
                                            our quarterly Court of Honor to give different youth the opportunity to
                                            be up front of the crowd. We also provide them support as they
                                            prepare.

                                            An organization that I also belong to is Toastmasters
                                            <http://www.toastmasters.org/>. They have a program called the Youth
                                            Leadership Program designed to help high school aged youth become
                                            better speakers, and be more comfortable running meetings.

                                            If you have a group of youth that would like to improve their
                                            communications skills, or a group of Boy Scouts interested in working
                                            on public Speaking and Communications Merit badges, I recommend Finding
                                            a Toastmasters Club near you. They are an excellent resource for
                                            communications training. Check out the website to find a club near
                                            you.

                                            Of course, they are always looking for adults to join and work on their
                                            communications and leadership skills as well :o)

                                            Yours in Scouting,
                                            Ken