Sleeping arrangements

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2003
      > Folks, This is not for Family Camping! Family Camping is where
      >
      > the entire family camps together in whatever configuration they
      >
      > wish (one tent, tent for youth & tent for adults, etc.), specifically
      >
      > for Tiger, Wolves, and Bears!

      I'll second that. The purpose of BALOO is to encourage families to camp
      together in a Scouting context; we can all see the benefit in that in terms
      of recruitment and retention. I have never heard anything to suggest that a
      family with a big tent can't have all its members camp in it together, Mom,
      Dad, and kids of both genders. It is true that if a family brings along
      someone else's kid, then that kid must be in a separate tent (presumably with
      his age-mate Cub friend or her age-mate Brownie or suchlike).

      Let's not get TOOOOO crazy about the separation of genders (this from a mom,
      dedicated YP trainer, parent of near-adults who used to be little kids, and
      leader!) There's a time and a place for everything. Think about it: What is
      the reason for these rules? It's to prevent youth sexual abuse, is YP (and
      with older teens, to prevent inappropriate sexual activity at camp ;-)). )
      You're going to have a parent with a Cub, a Cub's friend, a 3 year old
      brother, and female toddler have three tents? I don't think so. The parent
      and the small siblings are in one, the Cub and his buddy in another. Try to
      remember what's important here.

      YiS
      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA