BALOO Reply from Bill Steele

  • Wendell Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2003
      This message just came through on the cub-l list and thought others
      might be interested....

      >To: Multiple recipients of list cub-l <cub-l@...>
      >Subject: RE: [Cub-L]: BALOO & Cub Scout Camping
      >Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:43:16 -0500
      >From: "Bill Steele" <BSteele@...>

      Dear Lloyd,

      I read a couple of Cub leader internet digests and try not to
      participate due to not having enough time to do so. That said, what I
      read in your posting has me concerned. BALOO has to do with pack
      overnight camping, and nothing, I repeat, nothing, to do with Webelos
      den camping.

      Bill Steele
      Associate Director
      Cub Scout Division

      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2003
        YEE-HA!!!! I don't know if I spelled that right, but it certainly gives the
        authoritative answer I needed.

        Teresa in Alabama

        This message just came through on the cub-l list and thought others
        might be interested....

        >To: Multiple recipients of list cub-l <cub-l@...>
        >Subject: RE: [Cub-L]: BALOO & Cub Scout Camping
        >Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:43:16 -0500
        >From: "Bill Steele" <BSteele@...>

        Dear Lloyd,

        I read a couple of Cub leader internet digests and try not to
        participate due to not having enough time to do so. That said, what I
        read in your posting has me concerned. BALOO has to do with pack
        overnight camping, and nothing, I repeat, nothing, to do with Webelos
        den camping.

        Bill Steele
        Associate Director
        Cub Scout Division

        All of the HulaBALOO about whether BALOO was or was not required for
        Webelos Den Camping had me ask our Council's Director of Support
        Services to make a call to BSA National Offices.

        This morning I received a reply and am pasting it below.

        "The National Office policy requires BALOO training for all
        den/pack outings Cub Scout or Webelos to have at least one adult
        trained in BALOO to be on the trip. Webelos Leader outdoor training is
        not a substitute for this requirement. They are encouraged to attend
        the WLOT, but you must still have the BALOO trained adult."

        No, I can't quote chapter and verse. No, I have not received a letter
        signed by the Director of the Cub Scout Division.

        Our council is adopting the policy of requiring BALOO for all cub scout
        overnighters.

        If at some point the new WLOT / OWL / or whatever other name they
        attach to it authorizes Webelos Den Camping exclusive of BALOO, I'm
        sure our council will adopt it.

        YiS

        Lloyd
        SELA Council

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050661
        62:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=317
        0658>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=814651768>

        <http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Lloyd Solis
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2003
          I don't need any higher authority than Bill Steele.
          He has verified that BALOO training is not needed for Webelos Dens to camp (as
          a BSA requirement).
          Local councils may, at their option, require BALOO for Webelos Den camping.
          My apologies to the list for 'muddying the waters' here. I emphasize Bill
          Steele's words boldly below.
          YiS
          Lloyd