RE: [Scouter_T] Sleeping Arrangements

  • Richard Damon
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2003
      Unfortunately, if this rule only applied to co-ed crews then during
      family camping there is nothing keeping his 15 year old sister (who is
      not a scout) from sleeping with another boys 16 year old brother (who is
      not a scout) (unless the parent enforced their own rules, and some might
      not). Notice the use of the word "participant" and not "scout" or
      "member", to broaden the scope of the rule to include everyone
      participating in the event. I will agree that there probably SHOULD be
      an exception to allow a family to all tent together at family camp, the
      rules unfortunately do not currently have one.

      Richard Damon
      --
      rbrdamon@... (Home)
      rdamon@... (Work)

      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2003
        Family camping is different as noted in previous e-mails. Bothers and
        Sisters may sleep in the same tent with their parents and/or guardians.
        Having brother and sister in the same tent without parents or guardians is
        discouraged.

        A little common sense goes a long way in these matters.
        > I would think that the rule mentioned below (#6) is referring to a
        co-ed
        > crew, not to brothers and sisters. All other references to "participants"
        > seem to indicate a registered scout. Common sense would seem to dictate
        > that since the Cub Scout program is supposed to promote family
        > participation, why would I require 8 yr old Jimmy to sleep in a separate
        > tent from his 6 yr old sister Sally. If anything, that would prohibit
        most
        > families from being able to camp.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > John Halter
        > Cubmaster
        > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
        > www.pack230.com
        > Assistant Scoutmaster
        > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
        > Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
        > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

      • Tim
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2003
          Thank you all for your replies. It helps, although, as in many cases,
          the BSA National Standards are on the foggy side. I wish they would
          come out and state it clearly "NO, siblings of different sexes do not
          camp together." OR "Yes, it is OK for siblings of different sexes to
          camp together." Hopefully, they will update that standard soon.

          Tim

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <aquaboy2001@n...> wrote:
          > Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
          > together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
          > (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
          > married, but what about mixed siblings. Many perhaps sleep in the same
          > room at home. Do they need to be split up on a camping trip?
          >
          > The question came up in a recent Baloo training. The only answer we
          > could give at the time was to split them up according to the standard
          > of not putting male/female together.
          >
          > Anyone have experience with this or know any policy?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Tim
        • Lloyd Solis
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2003
            Richard Damon wrote:

            > 6. Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
            > facility.
            >
            > 7. When staying in tents, no youth will stay in the tent of an adult
            > other than his or her parent or guardian.
            >
            > Point 6 is clear that youth of opposite sex do not sleep together, so
            > even if siblings share a room at home, they should not do so while on
            > scout camping.
            >
            > Richard Damon

            I think that #6 relates to 'registered scouts', specifically male and female venturers.
            I don't think they are implying cub scout brothers and their sisters.
            But then, I've made a couple of mistakes already this week in my postings.
            I'm certainly not going to tell my families that they cannot have their boy children and
            girl children together with mom and dad in their own tent.

            YiS

            Lloyd