RE: [Scouter_T] Sleeping Arrangements

  • Richard Damon
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2003
      From the Guide to Safe Scouting

      I - Youth Protection and Adult Leadership

      Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings
      4. Male and female leaders require separate sleeping facilities. Married
      couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are
      available.

      5. Single-room or dormitory-type accommodations for Scouting units:
      Adults and youth of the same gender may occupy dormitory or single-room
      accommodations, provided there is a minimum of two adults and four
      youth. Both adults are required to be youth-protection trained. Adults
      must establish separation barriers or privacy zones such as temporary
      blanket or sheet walls in order to keep their sleeping area and dressing
      area separated from the youth.

      6. Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
      facility.

      7. When staying in tents, no youth will stay in the tent of an adult
      other than his or her parent or guardian.

      Point 6 is clear that youth of opposite sex do not sleep together, so
      even if siblings share a room at home, they should not do so while on
      scout camping.

      Richard Damon
      --
      rbrdamon@... (Home)
      rdamon@... (Work)

      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2003
        Depends on what the pack calls a "camping trip". If they're sleeping in tents with their family, then no. If the whole group is sleeping in "domirtory type accomodations" the GTSS says that temporary separation such as blanket or sheet walls must be established to maintain the privacy of the adults & youth.

        Jamie Dunn
        Pack Trainer
        P. 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        3 Rivers District
      • Richard Damon
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2003
          The Guide to safe scouting says no (as I previously quoted), but I will
          agree that this rule is often not enforced at family camp for siblings.
          My council will even put multiple mixed families inside a large cabin
          together, which is even more off policy.

          Richard Damon
          --
          rbrdamon@... (Home)
          rdamon@... (Work)
          Pack Trainer, Pack 306, Arlington, MA
          Member of Committee (Secretary, Training Coordinator), Troop 302
          Boston Minuteman Council
          I used to be a fox (NE-I-209)

          I can't 'quote' you anything, but a family can use one tent.
          If this is not correct, my council is in big trouble, since
          at our council sponsored 'Cub Scout Family Camping' entire
          families use a single tent.

          Pete M.
          "There is nothing so uncommon, as common sense."
          My dad and probably many others.

          > ----------

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2003
            According to the Guide to Safe Scouting, youth protection guidelines apply
            to both family camping and pack overnighters. I train in BALOO that males
            and females, even within the same family, need to be in separate tents with
            adults of appropriate gender present on the campout.

            Quotes from Guide to Safe Scouting:

            "Family camping: an outdoor camping experience, other than resident camping,
            that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program elements in
            overnight settings with two or more family members, including at least one
            BSA member of that family. Parents are responsible for the supervision of
            their children, and Youth Protection guidelines apply."

            "Pack Overnighters ... are pack-organized overnight events involving more
            than one family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout
            activities and conducted at council-approved locations .... If nonmembers
            (siblings) participate, the event must be structured accordingly to
            accommodate them. BSA health and safety and youth protection guidelines
            apply."

            Larry Ohs
            Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Lead Trainer
            Salt Valley District Training Committee
            Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
            2004 Powder Horn Course Director
            "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

            Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
            together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
            (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
            married, but what about mixed siblings. Do they need to be split up on a
            camping trip?
          • Deb Morrow
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2003
              Folks, This is not for Family Camping! Family Camping is where
              the entire family camps together in whatever configuration they
              wish (one tent, tent for youth & tent for adults, etc.), specifically
              for Tiger, Wolves, and Bears!

              Deb Morrow
              corzines@...

            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                >Folks, This is not for Family Camping! Family Camping is where
                >the entire family camps together in whatever configuration they
                >wish (one tent, tent for youth & tent for adults, etc.), specifically
                >for Tiger, Wolves, and Bears!

                Which "family camping" are we talking about?

                This is one of those LOVELY situations in scouting where we potentially
                have more than one event with a VERY similar name (or description) and
                potentially different requirements..... "Recreational Family Camping",
                "Council Organized Family Camp" and "Pack Overnighters" all involve
                families camping and 2 of the 3 have "Family Camp" in the name but they
                are all different.

                "Recreational Family Camping" is exactly that... your family going
                camping by YOURSELVES with some scout program mixed in. When you camp
                with JUST your family (no other scouts camping with you), the BSA rules
                really don't apply. Of course much of the G2SS is just good common
                sense so it shouldn't be discarded either. ;)

                > http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss03.html#a

                "Council Organized Family Camping" is a horse of a different color.
                This is a BSA (council or district) sponsored and staffed event for
                more than one pack. The G2SS seems to "pass the buck" on safety
                concerns for this type of camp: "Council-organized family camps must be
                conducted in accordance with established standards as given in National
                Standards for Council Family Camping, No. 13-408."

                And then we have to throw in "Pack Overnighters" (which is the primary
                focus of BALOO). Note that of the three types of camping mentioned
                only "Pack Overnighters" has the "BSA health and safety and youth
                protection guidelines apply" listed as a G2SS item.
              • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                  Deb -- it depends on the structure of your camping activity and who is camping, not whether you call it family camping or not.

                  Various scenarios:

                  1. A group of families, who happen to include Cub Scouts, go camping together at a state park. No organized Scouting activity or connection, although the Scouts may work on advancements with their parents. Youth protection guidelines don't apply; families can sleep together.

                  2. A group of families, with Cub Scouts in them, camp together at the Council family camp while big brother is there at Boy Scout resident camp. This is included in G2SS as "recreational family camping" -- "Scouting families camp as a family unit outside of an organized program. It is a nonstructured camping experience, but is conducted within a Scouting framework on local council-owned or -managed property." Do youth protection guidelines apply? Probably not. Families sleep together in my limited experience.

                  3. Families from more than one Cub Scout pack camp at a Council-organized overnight event, such as Fun With Son/Dad and Lad/Mom and Me. Youth protection guidelines (and National Standards for Council Family Camping) apply.

                  4. A group of families from one pack go camping at a council-approved state park as a monthly pack activity. Cub Scout activities are conducted by pack and den leaders. Youth protection guidelines apply to this Pack Overnighter. BALOO-trained leader must be in charge and a local tour permit is required.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                    Deb,
                    It may not be the way YOU want to define family camping, but the way the
                    BSA defines family camping is:

                    Family camping: an outdoor camping experience, other than resident
                    camping, that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program
                    elements in overnight settings with two or more family members,
                    including at least one BSA member of that family. Parents are
                    responsible for the supervision of their children, and Youth Protection
                    guidelines apply.

                    And Youth Protection guidelines state:

                    Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
                    facility.

                    So male and female siblings may not sleep in the same sleeping facility,
                    which includes tents.

                    It may be true that this rule should be revised, and it is true that
                    this rule is commonly ignored, but it is the current rule.

                    Richard Damon

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                      I would think that the rule mentioned below (#6) is referring to a co-ed
                      crew, not to brothers and sisters. All other references to "participants"
                      seem to indicate a registered scout. Common sense would seem to dictate
                      that since the Cub Scout program is supposed to promote family
                      participation, why would I require 8 yr old Jimmy to sleep in a separate
                      tent from his 6 yr old sister Sally. If anything, that would prohibit most
                      families from being able to camp.

                      Thank you,

                      John Halter
                      Cubmaster
                      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                      www.pack230.com
                      Assistant Scoutmaster
                      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                      Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
                      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                        Unfortunately, if this rule only applied to co-ed crews then during
                        family camping there is nothing keeping his 15 year old sister (who is
                        not a scout) from sleeping with another boys 16 year old brother (who is
                        not a scout) (unless the parent enforced their own rules, and some might
                        not). Notice the use of the word "participant" and not "scout" or
                        "member", to broaden the scope of the rule to include everyone
                        participating in the event. I will agree that there probably SHOULD be
                        an exception to allow a family to all tent together at family camp, the
                        rules unfortunately do not currently have one.

                        Richard Damon

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                          Family camping is different as noted in previous e-mails. Bothers and
                          Sisters may sleep in the same tent with their parents and/or guardians.
                          Having brother and sister in the same tent without parents or guardians is
                          discouraged.

                          A little common sense goes a long way in these matters.
                          > I would think that the rule mentioned below (#6) is referring to a
                          co-ed
                          > crew, not to brothers and sisters. All other references to "participants"
                          > seem to indicate a registered scout. Common sense would seem to dictate
                          > that since the Cub Scout program is supposed to promote family
                          > participation, why would I require 8 yr old Jimmy to sleep in a separate
                          > tent from his 6 yr old sister Sally. If anything, that would prohibit
                          most
                          > families from being able to camp.
                          >
                          > Thank you,
                          >
                          > John Halter
                          > Cubmaster
                          > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                          > www.pack230.com
                          > Assistant Scoutmaster
                          > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                          > Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
                          > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

                        • Tim
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                            Thank you all for your replies. It helps, although, as in many cases,
                            the BSA National Standards are on the foggy side. I wish they would
                            come out and state it clearly "NO, siblings of different sexes do not
                            camp together." OR "Yes, it is OK for siblings of different sexes to
                            camp together." Hopefully, they will update that standard soon.

                            Tim

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <aquaboy2001@n...> wrote:
                            > Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
                            > together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
                            > (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
                            > married, but what about mixed siblings. Many perhaps sleep in the same
                            > room at home. Do they need to be split up on a camping trip?
                            >
                            > The question came up in a recent Baloo training. The only answer we
                            > could give at the time was to split them up according to the standard
                            > of not putting male/female together.
                            >
                            > Anyone have experience with this or know any policy?
                            >
                            > Thank you.
                            >
                            > Tim
                          • Lloyd Solis
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                              Richard Damon wrote:

                              > 6. Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
                              > facility.
                              >
                              > 7. When staying in tents, no youth will stay in the tent of an adult
                              > other than his or her parent or guardian.
                              >
                              > Point 6 is clear that youth of opposite sex do not sleep together, so
                              > even if siblings share a room at home, they should not do so while on
                              > scout camping.
                              >
                              > Richard Damon

                              I think that #6 relates to 'registered scouts', specifically male and female venturers.
                              I don't think they are implying cub scout brothers and their sisters.
                              But then, I've made a couple of mistakes already this week in my postings.
                              I'm certainly not going to tell my families that they cannot have their boy children and
                              girl children together with mom and dad in their own tent.

                              YiS

                              Lloyd