Sleeping Arrangements

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2003
      Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
      together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
      (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
      married, but what about mixed siblings. Many perhaps sleep in the same
      room at home. Do they need to be split up on a camping trip?

      The question came up in a recent Baloo training. The only answer we
      could give at the time was to split them up according to the standard
      of not putting male/female together.

      Anyone have experience with this or know any policy?

      Thank you.

      Tim
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2003
        I can't 'quote' you anything, but a family can use one tent.
        If this is not correct, my council is in big trouble, since
        at our council sponsored 'Cub Scout Family Camping' entire
        families use a single tent.

        Pete M.
        "There is nothing so uncommon, as common sense."
        My dad and probably many others.

        > ----------

      • Richard Damon
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2003
          From the Guide to Safe Scouting

          I - Youth Protection and Adult Leadership

          Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings
          4. Male and female leaders require separate sleeping facilities. Married
          couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are
          available.

          5. Single-room or dormitory-type accommodations for Scouting units:
          Adults and youth of the same gender may occupy dormitory or single-room
          accommodations, provided there is a minimum of two adults and four
          youth. Both adults are required to be youth-protection trained. Adults
          must establish separation barriers or privacy zones such as temporary
          blanket or sheet walls in order to keep their sleeping area and dressing
          area separated from the youth.

          6. Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
          facility.

          7. When staying in tents, no youth will stay in the tent of an adult
          other than his or her parent or guardian.

          Point 6 is clear that youth of opposite sex do not sleep together, so
          even if siblings share a room at home, they should not do so while on
          scout camping.

          Richard Damon
          --
          rbrdamon@... (Home)
          rdamon@... (Work)

          Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
          together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
          (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
          married, but what about mixed siblings. Many perhaps sleep in the same
          room at home. Do they need to be split up on a camping trip?

          The question came up in a recent Baloo training. The only answer we
          could give at the time was to split them up according to the standard
          of not putting male/female together.

          Anyone have experience with this or know any policy?

          Thank you.

          Tim

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2003
            Depends on what the pack calls a "camping trip". If they're sleeping in tents with their family, then no. If the whole group is sleeping in "domirtory type accomodations" the GTSS says that temporary separation such as blanket or sheet walls must be established to maintain the privacy of the adults & youth.

            Jamie Dunn
            Pack Trainer
            P. 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Chair
            3 Rivers District
          • Richard Damon
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2003
              The Guide to safe scouting says no (as I previously quoted), but I will
              agree that this rule is often not enforced at family camp for siblings.
              My council will even put multiple mixed families inside a large cabin
              together, which is even more off policy.

              Richard Damon
              --
              rbrdamon@... (Home)
              rdamon@... (Work)
              Pack Trainer, Pack 306, Arlington, MA
              Member of Committee (Secretary, Training Coordinator), Troop 302
              Boston Minuteman Council
              I used to be a fox (NE-I-209)

              I can't 'quote' you anything, but a family can use one tent.
              If this is not correct, my council is in big trouble, since
              at our council sponsored 'Cub Scout Family Camping' entire
              families use a single tent.

              Pete M.
              "There is nothing so uncommon, as common sense."
              My dad and probably many others.

              > ----------

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                According to the Guide to Safe Scouting, youth protection guidelines apply
                to both family camping and pack overnighters. I train in BALOO that males
                and females, even within the same family, need to be in separate tents with
                adults of appropriate gender present on the campout.

                Quotes from Guide to Safe Scouting:

                "Family camping: an outdoor camping experience, other than resident camping,
                that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program elements in
                overnight settings with two or more family members, including at least one
                BSA member of that family. Parents are responsible for the supervision of
                their children, and Youth Protection guidelines apply."

                "Pack Overnighters ... are pack-organized overnight events involving more
                than one family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout
                activities and conducted at council-approved locations .... If nonmembers
                (siblings) participate, the event must be structured accordingly to
                accommodate them. BSA health and safety and youth protection guidelines
                apply."

                Larry Ohs
                Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Lead Trainer
                Salt Valley District Training Committee
                Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
                2004 Powder Horn Course Director
                "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
                together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
                (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
                married, but what about mixed siblings. Do they need to be split up on a
                camping trip?
              • Deb Morrow
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                  Folks, This is not for Family Camping! Family Camping is where
                  the entire family camps together in whatever configuration they
                  wish (one tent, tent for youth & tent for adults, etc.), specifically
                  for Tiger, Wolves, and Bears!

                  Deb Morrow
                  corzines@...

                • Wendell Brown
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                    >Folks, This is not for Family Camping! Family Camping is where
                    >the entire family camps together in whatever configuration they
                    >wish (one tent, tent for youth & tent for adults, etc.), specifically
                    >for Tiger, Wolves, and Bears!

                    Which "family camping" are we talking about?

                    This is one of those LOVELY situations in scouting where we potentially
                    have more than one event with a VERY similar name (or description) and
                    potentially different requirements..... "Recreational Family Camping",
                    "Council Organized Family Camp" and "Pack Overnighters" all involve
                    families camping and 2 of the 3 have "Family Camp" in the name but they
                    are all different.

                    "Recreational Family Camping" is exactly that... your family going
                    camping by YOURSELVES with some scout program mixed in. When you camp
                    with JUST your family (no other scouts camping with you), the BSA rules
                    really don't apply. Of course much of the G2SS is just good common
                    sense so it shouldn't be discarded either. ;)

                    > http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss03.html#a

                    "Council Organized Family Camping" is a horse of a different color.
                    This is a BSA (council or district) sponsored and staffed event for
                    more than one pack. The G2SS seems to "pass the buck" on safety
                    concerns for this type of camp: "Council-organized family camps must be
                    conducted in accordance with established standards as given in National
                    Standards for Council Family Camping, No. 13-408."

                    And then we have to throw in "Pack Overnighters" (which is the primary
                    focus of BALOO). Note that of the three types of camping mentioned
                    only "Pack Overnighters" has the "BSA health and safety and youth
                    protection guidelines apply" listed as a G2SS item.
                  • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                      Deb -- it depends on the structure of your camping activity and who is camping, not whether you call it family camping or not.

                      Various scenarios:

                      1. A group of families, who happen to include Cub Scouts, go camping together at a state park. No organized Scouting activity or connection, although the Scouts may work on advancements with their parents. Youth protection guidelines don't apply; families can sleep together.

                      2. A group of families, with Cub Scouts in them, camp together at the Council family camp while big brother is there at Boy Scout resident camp. This is included in G2SS as "recreational family camping" -- "Scouting families camp as a family unit outside of an organized program. It is a nonstructured camping experience, but is conducted within a Scouting framework on local council-owned or -managed property." Do youth protection guidelines apply? Probably not. Families sleep together in my limited experience.

                      3. Families from more than one Cub Scout pack camp at a Council-organized overnight event, such as Fun With Son/Dad and Lad/Mom and Me. Youth protection guidelines (and National Standards for Council Family Camping) apply.

                      4. A group of families from one pack go camping at a council-approved state park as a monthly pack activity. Cub Scout activities are conducted by pack and den leaders. Youth protection guidelines apply to this Pack Overnighter. BALOO-trained leader must be in charge and a local tour permit is required.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                        Deb,
                        It may not be the way YOU want to define family camping, but the way the
                        BSA defines family camping is:

                        Family camping: an outdoor camping experience, other than resident
                        camping, that involves Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing program
                        elements in overnight settings with two or more family members,
                        including at least one BSA member of that family. Parents are
                        responsible for the supervision of their children, and Youth Protection
                        guidelines apply.

                        And Youth Protection guidelines state:

                        Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
                        facility.

                        So male and female siblings may not sleep in the same sleeping facility,
                        which includes tents.

                        It may be true that this rule should be revised, and it is true that
                        this rule is commonly ignored, but it is the current rule.

                        Richard Damon

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                          I would think that the rule mentioned below (#6) is referring to a co-ed
                          crew, not to brothers and sisters. All other references to "participants"
                          seem to indicate a registered scout. Common sense would seem to dictate
                          that since the Cub Scout program is supposed to promote family
                          participation, why would I require 8 yr old Jimmy to sleep in a separate
                          tent from his 6 yr old sister Sally. If anything, that would prohibit most
                          families from being able to camp.

                          Thank you,

                          John Halter
                          Cubmaster
                          Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                          www.pack230.com
                          Assistant Scoutmaster
                          Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                          Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
                          ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                            Unfortunately, if this rule only applied to co-ed crews then during
                            family camping there is nothing keeping his 15 year old sister (who is
                            not a scout) from sleeping with another boys 16 year old brother (who is
                            not a scout) (unless the parent enforced their own rules, and some might
                            not). Notice the use of the word "participant" and not "scout" or
                            "member", to broaden the scope of the rule to include everyone
                            participating in the event. I will agree that there probably SHOULD be
                            an exception to allow a family to all tent together at family camp, the
                            rules unfortunately do not currently have one.

                            Richard Damon

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                              Family camping is different as noted in previous e-mails. Bothers and
                              Sisters may sleep in the same tent with their parents and/or guardians.
                              Having brother and sister in the same tent without parents or guardians is
                              discouraged.

                              A little common sense goes a long way in these matters.
                              > I would think that the rule mentioned below (#6) is referring to a
                              co-ed
                              > crew, not to brothers and sisters. All other references to "participants"
                              > seem to indicate a registered scout. Common sense would seem to dictate
                              > that since the Cub Scout program is supposed to promote family
                              > participation, why would I require 8 yr old Jimmy to sleep in a separate
                              > tent from his 6 yr old sister Sally. If anything, that would prohibit
                              most
                              > families from being able to camp.
                              >
                              > Thank you,
                              >
                              > John Halter
                              > Cubmaster
                              > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                              > www.pack230.com
                              > Assistant Scoutmaster
                              > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                              > Wekiwa District Round Table Staff
                              > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

                            • Tim
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                                Thank you all for your replies. It helps, although, as in many cases,
                                the BSA National Standards are on the foggy side. I wish they would
                                come out and state it clearly "NO, siblings of different sexes do not
                                camp together." OR "Yes, it is OK for siblings of different sexes to
                                camp together." Hopefully, they will update that standard soon.

                                Tim

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <aquaboy2001@n...> wrote:
                                > Regarding Cub Scout family camping: When families are camping
                                > together, we have made it clear that adults don't sleep with children
                                > (except their own), male/female adults do not sleep together unless
                                > married, but what about mixed siblings. Many perhaps sleep in the same
                                > room at home. Do they need to be split up on a camping trip?
                                >
                                > The question came up in a recent Baloo training. The only answer we
                                > could give at the time was to split them up according to the standard
                                > of not putting male/female together.
                                >
                                > Anyone have experience with this or know any policy?
                                >
                                > Thank you.
                                >
                                > Tim
                              • Lloyd Solis
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 6, 2003
                                  Richard Damon wrote:

                                  > 6. Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping
                                  > facility.
                                  >
                                  > 7. When staying in tents, no youth will stay in the tent of an adult
                                  > other than his or her parent or guardian.
                                  >
                                  > Point 6 is clear that youth of opposite sex do not sleep together, so
                                  > even if siblings share a room at home, they should not do so while on
                                  > scout camping.
                                  >
                                  > Richard Damon

                                  I think that #6 relates to 'registered scouts', specifically male and female venturers.
                                  I don't think they are implying cub scout brothers and their sisters.
                                  But then, I've made a couple of mistakes already this week in my postings.
                                  I'm certainly not going to tell my families that they cannot have their boy children and
                                  girl children together with mom and dad in their own tent.

                                  YiS

                                  Lloyd