Certified Trainer

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      Mid-America Council, Omaha, has developed a program for certification of
      trainers and once the requirements are met, the trainer is entitled to wear
      a special CSP with Certified Trainer across the bottom.

      Do any other Councils out there have a similar program. If so, could you
      share the details of your program with me.

      Thanks,

      Judy Yeager
      NT District Training Chair
      HOAC
    • Deb Morrow
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        July,

        What are the requirements for this certification? GSLAC doesn't
        have anything like what you're talking about, but it certainly is an
        interesting idea!

        Deb Morrow
        corzines@...

      • Terilianne@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          Baden Powell Council here in central New York has a similar program. The
          qualifications are as follows:
          1. Attend and complete TDC (Trainer's Development Conference)
          2. Take part in a district or council wide Training Event
          3. Lead a district or council wide Training Event.

          Many of our Trainers are pulled from widely diverse areas and so are great
          resources to our new leaders as well as the Council Training Committee.

          We also try to pair our new "Trainers" with someone who has had experience
          training in various settings and sort of shepherd them through so that they
          get some feed back and support.

          Many other councils are doing the same in our area also.

          Teri Stoel

          Pack Trainer, Cub Scout Pack 43
          District Trainer, Hiawatha District
          Day Camp Staff
          Roundtable Staff, Hiawatha District

        • James Gallo
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2003
            Judy, in the Greater New York Councils, which encompasses the five boroughs
            of New York City, we educate our Trainers using the standard "BSA 500"
            trainer development conference. Upon completion, attendees receive a
            certificate which qualifies them to be on training staff / teams throughout
            the city. We have no special patch for them, although some of our "Seasoned"
            volunteer trainers have made custom patches for the team members. I and some
            others have an official "BSA Training Staff" patch, worn on the left sleeve
            in the badge of office position.

            James Gallo
            Leadership Development
            Brooklyn Council, GNYC
          • JNDunnMN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2003
              My council (Viking) does not have a program like this but our neighboring council - the Indianhead Council does. Their program runs like this:

              Training:
              Attend NLE & position specific training
              Attend the TDC
              Attend a TDC Continuing Education module (Don't know what this is, obviously some sort of supplemental training)

              Trainer Status:
              The year following TDC present two formal training sessions.
              Each year thereafter, attend or present a Continuing Education Module OR present a TDC session.
              Present a minimum of two training sessions annual to maintain "TRAINER" status

              Trainer Recognition:
              Certificate presented upon completion of TDC
              Indianhead Scouting "TRAINER" name tag presented one year following completion of TDC and Trainer Status

              My reference is the flyer for this year's TDC, held in March
              http://www.indianhead.org/training/advanced/pdf/TDC%20March%202003.pdf

              In addition, one of their trainers who attend Viking's TDC indicated that they must repeat the TDC every three years (don't know if that's true).

              -------
              I like the idea that one has to "apprentice" as a trainer, and continue one's training. As a recognition, I think I'd prefer the special CSP, rather than the name tag, but that's a minor thing.

              YiS,
              Jamie Dunn
              Pack Trainer
              P. 512