Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 588

  • stevenengr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24, 2003
      Okay, okay . . . I give up! Could someone write out the chorus of the
      "purposes - working on the railroad" song phonetically to match the tune?
      For the life of me, I can't seem to match the tune with the words. (smile).

      Thanx,
      Steven Phillips
      Great Rivers Council
      District Training Staff

    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2003
        I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

        Pete Mullaney

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 25, 2003
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, stevenengr@a... wrote:
          > Okay, okay . . . I give up! Could someone write out the chorus of the
          > "purposes - working on the railroad" song phonetically to match the
          tune?
          > For the life of me, I can't seem to match the tune with the words.
          (smile).

          > Thanx,
          > Steven Phillips

          Hmmm...this is the only way I can think of to do this. Hope it helps.
          The words to the original song are in parentheses below the "purposes"
          song, line-by-line:

          Dave P.
          Klahaya District
          Mt. Baker Council, WA

          I've been learning all the purposes
          (I've been working on the railroad)
          Goals of the Cub Scout Plan
          (All the live-long day)
          I've been learning all the purposes
          (I've been working on the railroad)
          To help a boy become a man
          (Just to pass the time away)
          Help them to build strong character
          (Can't you hear the whistle blowing)
          To aid them in doing their best
          (Rise up so early in the morn)
          Then we follow that example
          (Can't you hear the captain shouting)
          To help them learn the rest
          (Dinah blow your horn)

          Spiritual growth, citizenship, sportsmanship
          (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
          Family understanding, getting along with others
          (Someone's in the kitchen I know -oh -oh -oh)
          Personal achievement, helpfulness, exciting things to do
          (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
          And preparing them to be Boy Scouts
          (Strummin on the old ban-jo)
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 25, 2003
            Yeah, I want to hear anybody sing the part I left below -
            and sound good.
            ;-)

            Pete Mullaney
            "The Song Guy" for my CSRT

            > ----------
            > From: Dave Pilkey
            >
            > Spiritual growth, citizenship, sportsmanship
            > (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
            > Family understanding, getting along with others
            > (Someone's in the kitchen I know -oh -oh -oh)
            > Personal achievement, helpfulness, exciting things to do
            > (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
            > And preparing them to be Boy Scouts
            > (Strummin on the old ban-jo)

          • Dave Pilkey
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 25, 2003
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
              <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:
              > Yeah, I want to hear anybody sing the part I left below -
              > and sound good.
              > ;-)
              >
              > Pete Mullaney
              > "The Song Guy" for my CSRT
              >
              > > ----------
              > > From: Dave Pilkey
              > >
              > > Spiritual growth, citizenship, sportsmanship
              > > (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
              > > Family understanding, getting along with others
              > > (Someone's in the kitchen I know -oh -oh -oh)
              > > Personal achievement, helpfulness, exciting things to do
              > > (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
              > > And preparing them to be Boy Scouts
              > > (Strummin on the old ban-jo)

              Don't worry, Pete...Scouting is just like anywhere else: if you've
              been picked as "The Song Guy" for gatherings, you must sound *at
              least* as good as anyone else in the room, regardless of how many
              syllables you try to squeeze into a quarter note!

              Dave P.
              another one of those "song guys" {:-O la-la
            • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 25, 2003
                I don’t know, I tried it out here in front of the ol’ computer and it fits
                very well! 8^)

                Rick Rambo
                (yet another one of those song guys)

                > Yeah, I want to hear anybody sing the part I left below -
                > and sound good.
                > ;-)
                >
                > Pete Mullaney
                > "The Song Guy" for my CSRT
                >
                > > ----------
                > > From: Dave Pilkey
                > >
                > > Spiritual growth, citizenship, sportsmanship
                > > (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
                > > Family understanding, getting along with others
                > > (Someone's in the kitchen I know -oh -oh -oh)
                > > Personal achievement, helpfulness, exciting things to do
                > > (Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah)
                > > And preparing them to be Boy Scouts
                > > (Strummin on the old ban-jo)

                Don't worry, Pete...Scouting is just like anywhere else: if you've
                been picked as "The Song Guy" for gatherings, you must sound *at
                least* as good as anyone else in the room, regardless of how many
                syllables you try to squeeze into a quarter note!

                Dave P.
                another one of those "song guys" {:-O la-la

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4507215.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=17050661
                62:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1051309328%3eM=24
                7865.3003379.4507215.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/A=1482387/R=1=10513
                09328%3eM=247865.%20>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Carla
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 25, 2003
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard E \(Rick\) Rambo"
                  <krrambo@m...> wrote:
                  > I don't know, I tried it out here in front of the ol' computer and
                  it fits
                  > very well! 8^)
                  >
                  > Rick Rambo
                  > (yet another one of those song guys)

                  I concur with Rick. It does work, you may have to make eighth notes
                  out of a couple of quarter notes, but it does work (then you can't
                  get the tune and the words out of your head...ummm, but that's sorta
                  the point...)

                  Carla Bigelow
                  (A singing buffalo gal...)
                • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
                    I've been on CSRT staff since at least 1996.
                    One of my tasks is to put together our 'song sheet'.
                    If I can't at least pretend to sing it, it may
                    make it to the sheet, but it won't be sung at
                    the RT! ;-)

                    Pete