Re: NE Region Akela Calls

  • Keith Tilley
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21 8:46 AM
      Hi Ken - I was on the Steering Committee for the 2000 Akela Calls. To be
      fair to Bob Legg, the Region had already decided not to conduct another
      Akela Calls before the 2000 event started. We spent the whole weekend
      working on poor Bob, ganging up on him, depriving him of sleep, until he
      agreed to go back and take another look.

      The primary difficulty, I think, is that a Region has extremely limited
      resources. I think the best approach would be for a Council, or a cluster
      of Councils, to take a well-run Pow Wow or University and help it grow to
      the size of a Regional event. If I remember correctly, the last Akela Calls
      had just over 1000 participants and staff. By comparison, my Council's
      University of Scouting drew 400 this year, and we only actively promote to
      less than a dozen Councils. Our Pow Wow, which was resurrected from
      imminent death only a few years ago, came close to 300 last November with
      much more limited promotion, and it continues to grow.

      Now, not that I have any personal interest here ;) but do you suppose we
      could create a promotion network to help one or both of these events grow?
      We're actively trying to involve other Councils in higher-level positions,
      and I don't think we'd have a problem expanding bigger and faster than we'd
      planned!

      Keith Tilley
      Council Cub Scout Training Chairman
      Hudson Valley Council, NY
    • CubBobwhite
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21 10:09 AM
        Over on the Cub-Scout-Talk list, Sean Scott has already started a campaign
        to have an Akela Calls type of gathering in the Las Vegas area.
        -----
        Leslie
        http://www.powwow-online.net
        www.smartgroups.com/groups/cubscoutroundtable
        Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

        > Hi Ken - I was on the Steering Committee for the 2000 Akela Calls. To be
        > fair to Bob Legg, the Region had already decided not to conduct another
        > Akela Calls before the 2000 event started. We spent the whole weekend
        > working on poor Bob, ganging up on him, depriving him of sleep, until he
        > agreed to go back and take another look.
        >
        > The primary difficulty, I think, is that a Region has extremely limited
        > resources. I think the best approach would be for a Council, or a cluster
        > of Councils, to take a well-run Pow Wow or University and help it grow to
        > the size of a Regional event. If I remember correctly, the last Akela
        Calls
        > had just over 1000 participants and staff. By comparison, my Council's
        > University of Scouting drew 400 this year, and we only actively promote to
        > less than a dozen Councils. Our Pow Wow, which was resurrected from
        > imminent death only a few years ago, came close to 300 last November with
        > much more limited promotion, and it continues to grow.
        >
        > Now, not that I have any personal interest here ;) but do you suppose we
        > could create a promotion network to help one or both of these events grow?
        > We're actively trying to involve other Councils in higher-level positions,
        > and I don't think we'd have a problem expanding bigger and faster than
        we'd
        > planned!
        >
        > Keith Tilley
        > Council Cub Scout Training Chairman
        > Hudson Valley Council, NY
      • Lady T
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21 10:12 PM
          What's this?? A regional PowWow???? I'm awestruck!!! Never heard
          of such a thing!!! But can you imagine thousands of cub scouters
          getting together in one place???!! I'm in Southern region, and I'm
          thinking like Texas State Fair Grounds in Dallas? Or Reunion Arena
          in Dallas?? That would be soooo utterly AWESOME!!! Wow! Talk
          about big dreams!

          If I had travelling funds, I would definitely go check out Sean's
          over in Vegas! That would be koool!!

          LadyT

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, CubBobwhite <cubbobwhite@c...>

        • Nell Colbert
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22 6:33 AM
            Central Florida Council's University of Scouting every October hosts
            1000+ leaders each year (I think we hit about 1200 last year) and is not
            promoted outside of our Council. We have the traditional "Colleges"
            within the University - Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturing - along with
            a "General Studies" college that features courses for district and
            council level volunteers like Commissioners Basic Training, District
            Committee Training, CR training. etc. We also have a "Junior College"
            with classes for Boy Scouts like the Den Chief Training Conference and
            specific leadership and outdoor skills. The University is held at one of
            our local high schools so there is plenty of room - each college usually
            features 25 or so different courses.

            While this is not a "regional" Pow Wow, anyone interested is welcome to
            attend. Registration can be done on line and the course guide should be
            available on-line by mid-August at the council's website: www.cfcbsa.org

            Looking forward to seeing everyone in October.

            Nell Colbert
            Communications Chair
            Little Econ District
            Central Florida Council
            Orlando, FL

            wrote:
            > Over on the Cub-Scout-Talk list, Sean Scott has already started a
            campaign
            > to have an Akela Calls type of gathering in the Las Vegas area.
            > -----
            > Leslie
            > http://www.powwow-online.net
            > www.smartgroups.com/groups/cubscoutroundtable
            > Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2994396.4323964.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            066162:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.2994396.4323964.2848452/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=686016922>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Kathie Heidenfelder
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24 8:11 AM
              Regions have run such sessions for decades. I attended my first in

              · Attended East Central Region Akela Calls at Albion College, Albion,
              Michigan, as Council Training Chairman of Northeast Illinois Council - 1983.
              There approximately 5000 volunteers scouters at the event from all over the
              country.

              It is indeed a wonderful experience. In fact, it was at this event that I
              met personally Green Bar Bill!

              Kathie