Re: [Scouter_T] NE Region Akela Calls

  • CubBobwhite
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2003
      I was in attendance at the 2000 Akela Calls held in the Northeast Region and
      it was wonderful. I also had the opportunity to attend Akela Calls and
      Akela Comes to You (East Central Region) and Akela Calls Again (Central
      Region). These were equally wonderful. If you hear of any of these type of
      opportunities within any region, please pass on the information to members
      of this list as well as attending it yourself.
      -----
      Leslie
      http://www.powwow-online.net
      www.smartgroups.com/groups/cubscoutroundtable
      TC Den Leader - Pack 101

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2003
        Hi Ken - I was on the Steering Committee for the 2000 Akela Calls. To be
        fair to Bob Legg, the Region had already decided not to conduct another
        Akela Calls before the 2000 event started. We spent the whole weekend
        working on poor Bob, ganging up on him, depriving him of sleep, until he
        agreed to go back and take another look.

        The primary difficulty, I think, is that a Region has extremely limited
        resources. I think the best approach would be for a Council, or a cluster
        of Councils, to take a well-run Pow Wow or University and help it grow to
        the size of a Regional event. If I remember correctly, the last Akela Calls
        had just over 1000 participants and staff. By comparison, my Council's
        University of Scouting drew 400 this year, and we only actively promote to
        less than a dozen Councils. Our Pow Wow, which was resurrected from
        imminent death only a few years ago, came close to 300 last November with
        much more limited promotion, and it continues to grow.

        Now, not that I have any personal interest here ;) but do you suppose we
        could create a promotion network to help one or both of these events grow?
        We're actively trying to involve other Councils in higher-level positions,
        and I don't think we'd have a problem expanding bigger and faster than we'd
        planned!

        Keith Tilley
        Council Cub Scout Training Chairman
        Hudson Valley Council, NY
      • CubBobwhite
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2003
          Over on the Cub-Scout-Talk list, Sean Scott has already started a campaign
          to have an Akela Calls type of gathering in the Las Vegas area.
          -----
          Leslie
          http://www.powwow-online.net
          www.smartgroups.com/groups/cubscoutroundtable
          Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

          > Hi Ken - I was on the Steering Committee for the 2000 Akela Calls. To be
          > fair to Bob Legg, the Region had already decided not to conduct another
          > Akela Calls before the 2000 event started. We spent the whole weekend
          > working on poor Bob, ganging up on him, depriving him of sleep, until he
          > agreed to go back and take another look.
          >
          > The primary difficulty, I think, is that a Region has extremely limited
          > resources. I think the best approach would be for a Council, or a cluster
          > of Councils, to take a well-run Pow Wow or University and help it grow to
          > the size of a Regional event. If I remember correctly, the last Akela
          Calls
          > had just over 1000 participants and staff. By comparison, my Council's
          > University of Scouting drew 400 this year, and we only actively promote to
          > less than a dozen Councils. Our Pow Wow, which was resurrected from
          > imminent death only a few years ago, came close to 300 last November with
          > much more limited promotion, and it continues to grow.
          >
          > Now, not that I have any personal interest here ;) but do you suppose we
          > could create a promotion network to help one or both of these events grow?
          > We're actively trying to involve other Councils in higher-level positions,
          > and I don't think we'd have a problem expanding bigger and faster than
          we'd
          > planned!
          >
          > Keith Tilley
          > Council Cub Scout Training Chairman
          > Hudson Valley Council, NY
        • Lady T
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2003
            What's this?? A regional PowWow???? I'm awestruck!!! Never heard
            of such a thing!!! But can you imagine thousands of cub scouters
            getting together in one place???!! I'm in Southern region, and I'm
            thinking like Texas State Fair Grounds in Dallas? Or Reunion Arena
            in Dallas?? That would be soooo utterly AWESOME!!! Wow! Talk
            about big dreams!

            If I had travelling funds, I would definitely go check out Sean's
            over in Vegas! That would be koool!!

            LadyT

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, CubBobwhite <cubbobwhite@c...>

          • Nell Colbert
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2003
              Central Florida Council's University of Scouting every October hosts
              1000+ leaders each year (I think we hit about 1200 last year) and is not
              promoted outside of our Council. We have the traditional "Colleges"
              within the University - Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturing - along with
              a "General Studies" college that features courses for district and
              council level volunteers like Commissioners Basic Training, District
              Committee Training, CR training. etc. We also have a "Junior College"
              with classes for Boy Scouts like the Den Chief Training Conference and
              specific leadership and outdoor skills. The University is held at one of
              our local high schools so there is plenty of room - each college usually
              features 25 or so different courses.

              While this is not a "regional" Pow Wow, anyone interested is welcome to
              attend. Registration can be done on line and the course guide should be
              available on-line by mid-August at the council's website: www.cfcbsa.org

              Looking forward to seeing everyone in October.

              Nell Colbert
              Communications Chair
              Little Econ District
              Central Florida Council
              Orlando, FL

              wrote:
              > Over on the Cub-Scout-Talk list, Sean Scott has already started a
              campaign
              > to have an Akela Calls type of gathering in the Las Vegas area.
              > -----
              > Leslie
              > http://www.powwow-online.net
              > www.smartgroups.com/groups/cubscoutroundtable
              > Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.2994396.4323964.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              066162:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.2994396.4323964.2848452/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=686016922>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Kathie Heidenfelder
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2003
                Regions have run such sessions for decades. I attended my first in

                · Attended East Central Region Akela Calls at Albion College, Albion,
                Michigan, as Council Training Chairman of Northeast Illinois Council - 1983.
                There approximately 5000 volunteers scouters at the event from all over the
                country.

                It is indeed a wonderful experience. In fact, it was at this event that I
                met personally Green Bar Bill!

                Kathie