RE: Safe Swim Defense & Safety Afloat training

  • Christine Bandy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      My name is Christine Bandy. I have been lurking a while and this is my first
      posting since I am new to my council's training staff. I am also a BSA
      ceritied Aquatics Director/Instructor. For SSD & SA it is recommeded that
      the person doing the training is a BSA Aquatics Instructor, but in case
      there is not one available in your area then they have made the training
      syllabus easy to follow. SSD & SA each have a video presentaion that
      touches upon each point if the training. And I highly recommend that you
      use the videos if you are not a certified aquatics instructor. The SSD video
      is No. AV09-V025 and someone else posted the course outline no. but my book
      has this No. 34370 (try both, they could have recently changed numbers). SA
      training outline is No. 34159 (once again, try both mine could be outdated)
      and I can't find the video number.
      I hope this helps some. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

      Christine Bandy

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Christine Bandy
      Pack 14 Wolf Den Leader
      Cub Scout Training Staff
      Tuscarora Council,Torhunta District
      BSA Aquatics Director

      > "David D. Vaughan" wrote:
      >
      > > Is there a National syllabus for these trainings? If so do any of you
      have an electronic copy you can send me? I need this as soon as possible.

      > > David Vaughan
      > > Council Training Chair
      > > Southern Sierra Council
      > > W4-57-86
      > > DVAUGHAN@...
      > > Still a Buffalo....
      > >
      > > There's only one thing wrong with Boy Scouts...
      > > there aren't enough of 'em.
      > > -Will Rogers
    • Lloyd Solis
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        Christine Bandy wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > My name is Christine Bandy. I have been lurking a while and this is my first
        > posting since I am new to my council's training staff. I am also a BSA
        > ceritied Aquatics Director/Instructor. For SSD & SA it is recommeded that
        > the person doing the training is a BSA Aquatics Instructor, but in case
        > there is not one available in your area then they have made the training
        > syllabus easy to follow. SSD & SA each have a video presentaion that
        > touches upon each point if the training. And I highly recommend that you
        > use the videos if you are not a certified aquatics instructor. The SSD video
        > is No. AV09-V025 and someone else posted the course outline no. but my book
        > has this No. 34370 (try both, they could have recently changed numbers). SA
        > training outline is No. 34159 (once again, try both mine could be outdated)
        > and I can't find the video number.
        > I hope this helps some. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
        >
        > Christine Bandy

        I cannot find anywhere in my 'mass' of SSD / SA literature that it is
        recommended that
        the person doing the training is a BSA Aquatics Instructor as you state above.
        What I do see are statements that "anyone authorized by the council can present
        the courses".

        Nevertheless, I think that a presenter who is current in BSA Aquatics
        Certification would be the preferred choices to instruct the course.

        Lloyd

      • ceobandy <ceobandy@earthlink.net>
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          That's Okay... like I said, I am new to most of this and my trainers
          told us that was what was recommeded. Coming out of camp school my
          summer camp director had me (and my co-director) present the class.
          I guess it just depends on your council...

          Oh well... Good luck with your session.

          Christine