Staff fees for training

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2003
      In our council/district we don't normally charge staff for training fees.
      If we are in a remote location and have lunch brought in, we do ask staff to
      chip in for the lunch; otherwise, staff is free to either bring lunch, go
      out for lunch, or eat what the participants are eating.

      In most cases the Staff has purchased a lot of their own material (they
      would be using it with their troop/pack anyway). We do provide copies of the
      syllabus. The Course Director also provides copies of all of the handouts so
      the staff is not responsible for that fee.

      We have had "training weekends" where the staff all gets together. Our
      council does charge us for the use of the cabins at Scout Camp, so we all
      chip in a few dollars to cover the costs of cabins, food and any materials.

      I am a trainer for Cub College. I normally attend other sessions when I am
      not training. In that situation, I pay the same fee as the rest of the
      participants.

      On other note, we try to keep our fees reasonable, too. At a recent
      District Committee Training course, our Council Executive mentioned that
      many people perceive the "low fee" course as "low information" and therefore
      "low importance." He said that at his last council (in MN, I believe), they
      charged $20 per course (even basic training). The scouters saw the fee and
      associated the higher fee with a more important training and saw higher turn
      outs when the fees for the course increased.

      Ida