RE: [Scouter_T] RE: Laura / combining courses - splitting the syllabus ?

  • Laura Kilby
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
      Thanks James,

      I am attempting to find out why this course was managed as it is. Some of
      the feedback has been that the BSS is very dry and lacks hands on. I believe
      it has been taught the traditional way. The previous training chair prepared
      a detailed schedule that integrates both and she's explaining where some of
      the "extra time came from." I'll know more later this week, but, it does
      seem as if things are getting covered. I do want a quality program, and one
      that people leave better than they were and happy they attended.

      No, I haven't been to TDC because I "inherited" this job after the council
      had already conducted ours. I do have the syllabus for it, however. I have a
      few trainers who are attending to teach just one or two parts, but cannot
      attend the whole weekend. They are the experts in their fields and I'm
      grateful to have them. To the other trainers that will attend the entire
      weekend, I will give them the entire syllabus as you suggested.

      I have planned a Staff Development as well. Due to the "regular" trainers
      for our area being on Woodbadge staff, I've had to recruit trainers from my
      own area of influence which isn't great yet because I'm fairly new to
      meeting people in the District and Council. I was recruited for this
      position because I've managed training programs for corporations for years,
      and I've trained many trainers over the past years as well. Fortunately I
      have a large troop I am a part of and the adult leadership is fantastic.
      They have taught me many things about outdoor skills and I share leadership
      training ideas with them. (I never thought I'd find myself camping in
      freezing weather! and staying warm!)

      I appreciate your insight and I'm grateful for it! Thank you,
      Laura Kilby
      Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
      Quivira Council, Kansas

      > Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the
      > Patrol Method
      > session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is
      > leadership and
      > ITOLS is the outdoors.
      >
      > Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their
      > Portion". They
      > will work much better, both individually and as a team, when
      > they know the
      > entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the
      > whole thing.
      > Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did
      > attend TDC didn't
      > you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
      > doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a
      > back-up or primary
      > person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good
      > thing before the
      > course, as a practice run and for team building.
      >
      > I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate
      > those courses
      > into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to
      > squeeze in the
      > Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!
      >
      > James Gallo
      > Leadership Development
      > Brooklyn Council
      > Greater New York Councils

    • Wendell Brown
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 21, 2003
        Kevin, I took your "not a moderator" comment to heart and decided to
        grant your unspoken wish. Poof... your a moderator.

        I would like everyone to welcome Scouter-T's newest moderator - Kevin
        outa Norman.

        PS.... Kevin, if you choose not to accept this offer please let me know
        and I'll back it out. :)

        Wendell Brown - Scouting The Net
        http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
      • R Fisher
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 22, 2003
          Hi Kevin Outa Norman, Congrats on your promotion.

          Roy Fisher