RE: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection Online Training

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
      LOL - thank you, Rick, this is what I get for being on my dial-up modem at
      home this week. The graphics don't always make it on the page before my
      impatience kicks in.

      Teresa

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
        For those who are interested, I just completed the
        online version of YPT on Wednesday 2/05, about 1:20
        a.m. CDT. The Verify and Submit page at the end of
        the online course appeared to work just fine, so
        perhaps the folks down Irving way stayed late on
        Tuesday to correct whatever glitch was earlier
        noticed.

        I entered the YPT online module through my local
        council site: http:/www.lastfrontiercouncil.org
        there's a link on the main index that will take you to
        the YPT specific page on the site. Read or scroll
        down that page to get to the link to the module.

        Happy reading and clicking to all. As it's late late
        or early early, depending on one's perspective, night
        night too.

        Kevin outta Norman, America

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Ken Todd
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
          Teresa,

          You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
          Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
          link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
          it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
          results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.

          There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
          week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
          until BSA resolved the reporting problem.

          I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
          test results were submitted to my Council.

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken
          Ken, I looked and could not find a link to the YPT online training.
          Some excellent YPT information, yes, but not the online training. Has
          the link been temporarily removed, or were my search efforts merely not
          clever enough?

          Thanks!
          Teresa Hall

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Lloyd Solis
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
            Ken Todd wrote:

            > Teresa,
            >
            > You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
            > Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
            > link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
            > it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
            > results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.
            >
            > There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
            > week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
            > until BSA resolved the reporting problem.
            >
            > I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
            > test results were submitted to my Council.
            >
            > Yours in Scouting,
            > Ken

            I took the test there (and at the Last Frontier Council site) earlier this
            wee.
            I just tried to enter through NCAC and am advised that they have "Temporarily
            Removed" the training due to a 'national problem' with "Verify and Submit".
            2PMCST 2-7-03
            Lloyd
          • Ken Todd
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
              Thsi was an error on the National Site that has been fixed, if you are
              coming in from a Council Web Site. Check it out.

              Yours in scouting,
              Ken
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                I wanted to share that we had a marvelous training session on Saturday. I
                feel the syllabus for Troop Committee Challege is excellent. I need to get
                another puzzle and card set though. I did make my own version, lol, long
                story about how I did that! I did not have an overhead projector, nor access
                to a system to use a computer projection system. SO, what I did was make BIG
                printouts of the various topics cut them to look like cartoon conversation
                balloons. Then I'd paste them on posterboard when I was ready for them. That
                worked great! I'm going to laminate the pieces now, and put together
                something like a flannel board to I can just stick them up there, and not
                use tape.

                OK, next event I'm putting together for the first time is.... Boy Scout
                Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend. Does anyone else do
                that? Do you have a list of supplies you ask the participants to bring?

                I'm really looking forward to this training weekend. I love training adults
                and I have assembled a top-notch training staff. It's not the normal
                training crew which makes it even better! Not to say the normal crew isn't
                great, they are preparing for Woodbadge training the next weekend. It's
                always best to have lots of trainers anyway. IMHO.

                YiS,
                Laura Kilby
                Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                Quivira Council, Kansas
              • Kevin Pate
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                  I've not taught the new versions of basic training,
                  but some friends have. As to the IOLS portion, you
                  might look at:
                  www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/train/IOLS/IOLS-F03.htm

                  The registration packet, with participant
                  questionairre, is available through links at the
                  bottom of the referenced page in your choice of these
                  formats: DOS TXT Adobe PDF MS WORD DOC

                  Hope that helps

                  Kevin outta Norman, America

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Judy Yeager
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                    Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the first time
                    is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend.

                    How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course and OLS
                    is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?

                    Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!

                    Judy Yeager
                    NT District Training Chair
                    HOAC
                  • llk <kilbyl@cox.net>
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
                      Judy,

                      I realize I don't have a great answer to your question, I just know
                      that is how the other Districts have determined to do this training.
                      They said something about duplication of information. I'm checking
                      this out now. I know there is a certain amount of repetition from
                      training to training, for example each of the courses I've been
                      involved in develops the Aims of Scouting and the Methods of
                      Scouting, but I believe people should hear those over and over. :)

                      My new question is, has anyone scanned in the syllabus for the BSS or
                      IOLS? I'm making copies for my trainers, but it would so much easier
                      if I could just email them their portion of the syllabus.

                      Thanks,
                      Laura Kilby
                      District Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                      Quivira Council, Kansas

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@s...> wrote:
                      > Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the
                      first time
                      > is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE
                      weekend.

                      > How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course
                      and OLS
                      > is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?
                      >
                      > Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!
                      >
                      > Judy Yeager
                      > NT District Training Chair
                      > HOAC
                    • James Gallo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                        Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the Patrol Method
                        session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is leadership and
                        ITOLS is the outdoors.

                        Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their Portion". They
                        will work much better, both individually and as a team, when they know the
                        entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the whole thing.
                        Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did attend TDC didn't
                        you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                        doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a back-up or primary
                        person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good thing before the
                        course, as a practice run and for team building.

                        I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate those courses
                        into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to squeeze in the
                        Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!

                        James Gallo
                        Leadership Development
                        Brooklyn Council
                        Greater New York Councils
                      • Laura Kilby
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                          Thanks James,

                          I am attempting to find out why this course was managed as it is. Some of
                          the feedback has been that the BSS is very dry and lacks hands on. I believe
                          it has been taught the traditional way. The previous training chair prepared
                          a detailed schedule that integrates both and she's explaining where some of
                          the "extra time came from." I'll know more later this week, but, it does
                          seem as if things are getting covered. I do want a quality program, and one
                          that people leave better than they were and happy they attended.

                          No, I haven't been to TDC because I "inherited" this job after the council
                          had already conducted ours. I do have the syllabus for it, however. I have a
                          few trainers who are attending to teach just one or two parts, but cannot
                          attend the whole weekend. They are the experts in their fields and I'm
                          grateful to have them. To the other trainers that will attend the entire
                          weekend, I will give them the entire syllabus as you suggested.

                          I have planned a Staff Development as well. Due to the "regular" trainers
                          for our area being on Woodbadge staff, I've had to recruit trainers from my
                          own area of influence which isn't great yet because I'm fairly new to
                          meeting people in the District and Council. I was recruited for this
                          position because I've managed training programs for corporations for years,
                          and I've trained many trainers over the past years as well. Fortunately I
                          have a large troop I am a part of and the adult leadership is fantastic.
                          They have taught me many things about outdoor skills and I share leadership
                          training ideas with them. (I never thought I'd find myself camping in
                          freezing weather! and staying warm!)

                          I appreciate your insight and I'm grateful for it! Thank you,
                          Laura Kilby
                          Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
                          Quivira Council, Kansas

                          > Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the
                          > Patrol Method
                          > session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is
                          > leadership and
                          > ITOLS is the outdoors.
                          >
                          > Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their
                          > Portion". They
                          > will work much better, both individually and as a team, when
                          > they know the
                          > entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the
                          > whole thing.
                          > Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did
                          > attend TDC didn't
                          > you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                          > doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a
                          > back-up or primary
                          > person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good
                          > thing before the
                          > course, as a practice run and for team building.
                          >
                          > I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate
                          > those courses
                          > into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to
                          > squeeze in the
                          > Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!
                          >
                          > James Gallo
                          > Leadership Development
                          > Brooklyn Council
                          > Greater New York Councils

                        • Wendell Brown
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 21, 2003
                            Kevin, I took your "not a moderator" comment to heart and decided to
                            grant your unspoken wish. Poof... your a moderator.

                            I would like everyone to welcome Scouter-T's newest moderator - Kevin
                            outa Norman.

                            PS.... Kevin, if you choose not to accept this offer please let me know
                            and I'll back it out. :)

                            Wendell Brown - Scouting The Net
                            http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                          • R Fisher
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 22, 2003
                              Hi Kevin Outa Norman, Congrats on your promotion.

                              Roy Fisher