RE: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection Online Training

  • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
      I found that the link was right there on the front page, but the training is
      not there, the following message appeared:
      Online Youth Protection Training
      Required training in the comfort of your own home!
      Thank you for wishing to take the new online Youth Protection Training.
      Although this training module became available online February 1, 2003 as
      scheduled, there is a national problem with one of the final stages of the
      training - the "Verify and Submit" page. This stage must be completed in
      order to receive training credit for taking the course.
      To help prevent less than stellar experiences, this training link has been
      temporarily removed from the NCAC Web site until the problem is resolved.
      It is hoped this problem will be quickly fixed at which time the training
      link will be replaced.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
        LOL - thank you, Rick, this is what I get for being on my dial-up modem at
        home this week. The graphics don't always make it on the page before my
        impatience kicks in.

        Teresa

        The "Youth Protection Guidelines for Leaders and Parents" web site is
        up and running. You may visit my council's Web Site to visit the YP
        Training <www.boyscouts-ncac.org>.

        <http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Kevin Pate
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
          For those who are interested, I just completed the
          online version of YPT on Wednesday 2/05, about 1:20
          a.m. CDT. The Verify and Submit page at the end of
          the online course appeared to work just fine, so
          perhaps the folks down Irving way stayed late on
          Tuesday to correct whatever glitch was earlier
          noticed.

          I entered the YPT online module through my local
          council site: http:/www.lastfrontiercouncil.org
          there's a link on the main index that will take you to
          the YPT specific page on the site. Read or scroll
          down that page to get to the link to the module.

          Happy reading and clicking to all. As it's late late
          or early early, depending on one's perspective, night
          night too.

          Kevin outta Norman, America

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Ken Todd
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
            Teresa,

            You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
            Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
            link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
            it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
            results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.

            There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
            week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
            until BSA resolved the reporting problem.

            I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
            test results were submitted to my Council.

            Yours in Scouting,
            Ken
            Ken, I looked and could not find a link to the YPT online training.
            Some excellent YPT information, yes, but not the online training. Has
            the link been temporarily removed, or were my search efforts merely not
            clever enough?

            Thanks!
            Teresa Hall

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Lloyd Solis
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
              Ken Todd wrote:

              > Teresa,
              >
              > You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
              > Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
              > link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
              > it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
              > results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.
              >
              > There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
              > week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
              > until BSA resolved the reporting problem.
              >
              > I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
              > test results were submitted to my Council.
              >
              > Yours in Scouting,
              > Ken

              I took the test there (and at the Last Frontier Council site) earlier this
              wee.
              I just tried to enter through NCAC and am advised that they have "Temporarily
              Removed" the training due to a 'national problem' with "Verify and Submit".
              2PMCST 2-7-03
              Lloyd
            • Ken Todd
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
                Thsi was an error on the National Site that has been fixed, if you are
                coming in from a Council Web Site. Check it out.

                Yours in scouting,
                Ken
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                  I wanted to share that we had a marvelous training session on Saturday. I
                  feel the syllabus for Troop Committee Challege is excellent. I need to get
                  another puzzle and card set though. I did make my own version, lol, long
                  story about how I did that! I did not have an overhead projector, nor access
                  to a system to use a computer projection system. SO, what I did was make BIG
                  printouts of the various topics cut them to look like cartoon conversation
                  balloons. Then I'd paste them on posterboard when I was ready for them. That
                  worked great! I'm going to laminate the pieces now, and put together
                  something like a flannel board to I can just stick them up there, and not
                  use tape.

                  OK, next event I'm putting together for the first time is.... Boy Scout
                  Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend. Does anyone else do
                  that? Do you have a list of supplies you ask the participants to bring?

                  I'm really looking forward to this training weekend. I love training adults
                  and I have assembled a top-notch training staff. It's not the normal
                  training crew which makes it even better! Not to say the normal crew isn't
                  great, they are preparing for Woodbadge training the next weekend. It's
                  always best to have lots of trainers anyway. IMHO.

                  YiS,
                  Laura Kilby
                  Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                  Quivira Council, Kansas
                • Kevin Pate
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                    I've not taught the new versions of basic training,
                    but some friends have. As to the IOLS portion, you
                    might look at:
                    www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/train/IOLS/IOLS-F03.htm

                    The registration packet, with participant
                    questionairre, is available through links at the
                    bottom of the referenced page in your choice of these
                    formats: DOS TXT Adobe PDF MS WORD DOC

                    Hope that helps

                    Kevin outta Norman, America

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                      Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the first time
                      is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend.

                      How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course and OLS
                      is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?

                      Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!

                      Judy Yeager
                      NT District Training Chair
                      HOAC
                    • llk <kilbyl@cox.net>
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
                        Judy,

                        I realize I don't have a great answer to your question, I just know
                        that is how the other Districts have determined to do this training.
                        They said something about duplication of information. I'm checking
                        this out now. I know there is a certain amount of repetition from
                        training to training, for example each of the courses I've been
                        involved in develops the Aims of Scouting and the Methods of
                        Scouting, but I believe people should hear those over and over. :)

                        My new question is, has anyone scanned in the syllabus for the BSS or
                        IOLS? I'm making copies for my trainers, but it would so much easier
                        if I could just email them their portion of the syllabus.

                        Thanks,
                        Laura Kilby
                        District Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                        Quivira Council, Kansas

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@s...> wrote:
                        > Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the
                        first time
                        > is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE
                        weekend.

                        > How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course
                        and OLS
                        > is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?
                        >
                        > Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!
                        >
                        > Judy Yeager
                        > NT District Training Chair
                        > HOAC
                      • James Gallo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                          Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the Patrol Method
                          session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is leadership and
                          ITOLS is the outdoors.

                          Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their Portion". They
                          will work much better, both individually and as a team, when they know the
                          entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the whole thing.
                          Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did attend TDC didn't
                          you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                          doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a back-up or primary
                          person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good thing before the
                          course, as a practice run and for team building.

                          I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate those courses
                          into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to squeeze in the
                          Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!

                          James Gallo
                          Leadership Development
                          Brooklyn Council
                          Greater New York Councils
                        • Laura Kilby
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                            Thanks James,

                            I am attempting to find out why this course was managed as it is. Some of
                            the feedback has been that the BSS is very dry and lacks hands on. I believe
                            it has been taught the traditional way. The previous training chair prepared
                            a detailed schedule that integrates both and she's explaining where some of
                            the "extra time came from." I'll know more later this week, but, it does
                            seem as if things are getting covered. I do want a quality program, and one
                            that people leave better than they were and happy they attended.

                            No, I haven't been to TDC because I "inherited" this job after the council
                            had already conducted ours. I do have the syllabus for it, however. I have a
                            few trainers who are attending to teach just one or two parts, but cannot
                            attend the whole weekend. They are the experts in their fields and I'm
                            grateful to have them. To the other trainers that will attend the entire
                            weekend, I will give them the entire syllabus as you suggested.

                            I have planned a Staff Development as well. Due to the "regular" trainers
                            for our area being on Woodbadge staff, I've had to recruit trainers from my
                            own area of influence which isn't great yet because I'm fairly new to
                            meeting people in the District and Council. I was recruited for this
                            position because I've managed training programs for corporations for years,
                            and I've trained many trainers over the past years as well. Fortunately I
                            have a large troop I am a part of and the adult leadership is fantastic.
                            They have taught me many things about outdoor skills and I share leadership
                            training ideas with them. (I never thought I'd find myself camping in
                            freezing weather! and staying warm!)

                            I appreciate your insight and I'm grateful for it! Thank you,
                            Laura Kilby
                            Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
                            Quivira Council, Kansas

                            > Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the
                            > Patrol Method
                            > session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is
                            > leadership and
                            > ITOLS is the outdoors.
                            >
                            > Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their
                            > Portion". They
                            > will work much better, both individually and as a team, when
                            > they know the
                            > entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the
                            > whole thing.
                            > Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did
                            > attend TDC didn't
                            > you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                            > doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a
                            > back-up or primary
                            > person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good
                            > thing before the
                            > course, as a practice run and for team building.
                            >
                            > I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate
                            > those courses
                            > into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to
                            > squeeze in the
                            > Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!
                            >
                            > James Gallo
                            > Leadership Development
                            > Brooklyn Council
                            > Greater New York Councils

                          • Wendell Brown
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 21, 2003
                              Kevin, I took your "not a moderator" comment to heart and decided to
                              grant your unspoken wish. Poof... your a moderator.

                              I would like everyone to welcome Scouter-T's newest moderator - Kevin
                              outa Norman.

                              PS.... Kevin, if you choose not to accept this offer please let me know
                              and I'll back it out. :)

                              Wendell Brown - Scouting The Net
                              http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                            • R Fisher
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 22, 2003
                                Hi Kevin Outa Norman, Congrats on your promotion.

                                Roy Fisher