RE: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection Online Training

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
      Ken, I looked and could not find a link to the YPT online training. Some
      excellent YPT information, yes, but not the online training. Has the link
      been temporarily removed, or were my search efforts merely not clever
      enough?

      Thanks!
      Teresa Hall
      Pack 321 CC, Bluff Park UMC
      Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
      Greater AL Council

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
        I found that the link was right there on the front page, but the training is
        not there, the following message appeared:
        Online Youth Protection Training
        Required training in the comfort of your own home!
        Thank you for wishing to take the new online Youth Protection Training.
        Although this training module became available online February 1, 2003 as
        scheduled, there is a national problem with one of the final stages of the
        training - the "Verify and Submit" page. This stage must be completed in
        order to receive training credit for taking the course.
        To help prevent less than stellar experiences, this training link has been
        temporarily removed from the NCAC Web site until the problem is resolved.
        It is hoped this problem will be quickly fixed at which time the training
        link will be replaced.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
          LOL - thank you, Rick, this is what I get for being on my dial-up modem at
          home this week. The graphics don't always make it on the page before my
          impatience kicks in.

          Teresa

          The "Youth Protection Guidelines for Leaders and Parents" web site is
          up and running. You may visit my council's Web Site to visit the YP
          Training <www.boyscouts-ncac.org>.

          <http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Kevin Pate
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
            For those who are interested, I just completed the
            online version of YPT on Wednesday 2/05, about 1:20
            a.m. CDT. The Verify and Submit page at the end of
            the online course appeared to work just fine, so
            perhaps the folks down Irving way stayed late on
            Tuesday to correct whatever glitch was earlier
            noticed.

            I entered the YPT online module through my local
            council site: http:/www.lastfrontiercouncil.org
            there's a link on the main index that will take you to
            the YPT specific page on the site. Read or scroll
            down that page to get to the link to the module.

            Happy reading and clicking to all. As it's late late
            or early early, depending on one's perspective, night
            night too.

            Kevin outta Norman, America

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Ken Todd
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
              Teresa,

              You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
              Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
              link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
              it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
              results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.

              There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
              week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
              until BSA resolved the reporting problem.

              I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
              test results were submitted to my Council.

              Yours in Scouting,
              Ken

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
                Ken Todd wrote:

                > Teresa,
                >
                > You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
                > Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
                > link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
                > it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
                > results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.
                >
                > There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
                > week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
                > until BSA resolved the reporting problem.
                >
                > I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
                > test results were submitted to my Council.
                >
                > Yours in Scouting,
                > Ken

                I took the test there (and at the Last Frontier Council site) earlier this
                wee.
                I just tried to enter through NCAC and am advised that they have "Temporarily
                Removed" the training due to a 'national problem' with "Verify and Submit".
                2PMCST 2-7-03
                Lloyd
              • Ken Todd
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
                  Thsi was an error on the National Site that has been fixed, if you are
                  coming in from a Council Web Site. Check it out.

                  Yours in scouting,
                  Ken
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                    I wanted to share that we had a marvelous training session on Saturday. I
                    feel the syllabus for Troop Committee Challege is excellent. I need to get
                    another puzzle and card set though. I did make my own version, lol, long
                    story about how I did that! I did not have an overhead projector, nor access
                    to a system to use a computer projection system. SO, what I did was make BIG
                    printouts of the various topics cut them to look like cartoon conversation
                    balloons. Then I'd paste them on posterboard when I was ready for them. That
                    worked great! I'm going to laminate the pieces now, and put together
                    something like a flannel board to I can just stick them up there, and not
                    use tape.

                    OK, next event I'm putting together for the first time is.... Boy Scout
                    Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend. Does anyone else do
                    that? Do you have a list of supplies you ask the participants to bring?

                    I'm really looking forward to this training weekend. I love training adults
                    and I have assembled a top-notch training staff. It's not the normal
                    training crew which makes it even better! Not to say the normal crew isn't
                    great, they are preparing for Woodbadge training the next weekend. It's
                    always best to have lots of trainers anyway. IMHO.

                    YiS,
                    Laura Kilby
                    Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                    Quivira Council, Kansas
                  • Kevin Pate
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                      I've not taught the new versions of basic training,
                      but some friends have. As to the IOLS portion, you
                      might look at:
                      www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/train/IOLS/IOLS-F03.htm

                      The registration packet, with participant
                      questionairre, is available through links at the
                      bottom of the referenced page in your choice of these
                      formats: DOS TXT Adobe PDF MS WORD DOC

                      Hope that helps

                      Kevin outta Norman, America

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • Judy Yeager
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                        Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the first time
                        is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend.

                        How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course and OLS
                        is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?

                        Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!

                        Judy Yeager
                        NT District Training Chair
                        HOAC
                      • llk <kilbyl@cox.net>
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
                          Judy,

                          I realize I don't have a great answer to your question, I just know
                          that is how the other Districts have determined to do this training.
                          They said something about duplication of information. I'm checking
                          this out now. I know there is a certain amount of repetition from
                          training to training, for example each of the courses I've been
                          involved in develops the Aims of Scouting and the Methods of
                          Scouting, but I believe people should hear those over and over. :)

                          My new question is, has anyone scanned in the syllabus for the BSS or
                          IOLS? I'm making copies for my trainers, but it would so much easier
                          if I could just email them their portion of the syllabus.

                          Thanks,
                          Laura Kilby
                          District Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                          Quivira Council, Kansas

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@s...> wrote:
                          > Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the
                          first time
                          > is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE
                          weekend.

                          > How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course
                          and OLS
                          > is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?
                          >
                          > Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!
                          >
                          > Judy Yeager
                          > NT District Training Chair
                          > HOAC
                        • James Gallo
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                            Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the Patrol Method
                            session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is leadership and
                            ITOLS is the outdoors.

                            Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their Portion". They
                            will work much better, both individually and as a team, when they know the
                            entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the whole thing.
                            Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did attend TDC didn't
                            you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                            doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a back-up or primary
                            person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good thing before the
                            course, as a practice run and for team building.

                            I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate those courses
                            into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to squeeze in the
                            Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!

                            James Gallo
                            Leadership Development
                            Brooklyn Council
                            Greater New York Councils
                          • Laura Kilby
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                              Thanks James,

                              I am attempting to find out why this course was managed as it is. Some of
                              the feedback has been that the BSS is very dry and lacks hands on. I believe
                              it has been taught the traditional way. The previous training chair prepared
                              a detailed schedule that integrates both and she's explaining where some of
                              the "extra time came from." I'll know more later this week, but, it does
                              seem as if things are getting covered. I do want a quality program, and one
                              that people leave better than they were and happy they attended.

                              No, I haven't been to TDC because I "inherited" this job after the council
                              had already conducted ours. I do have the syllabus for it, however. I have a
                              few trainers who are attending to teach just one or two parts, but cannot
                              attend the whole weekend. They are the experts in their fields and I'm
                              grateful to have them. To the other trainers that will attend the entire
                              weekend, I will give them the entire syllabus as you suggested.

                              I have planned a Staff Development as well. Due to the "regular" trainers
                              for our area being on Woodbadge staff, I've had to recruit trainers from my
                              own area of influence which isn't great yet because I'm fairly new to
                              meeting people in the District and Council. I was recruited for this
                              position because I've managed training programs for corporations for years,
                              and I've trained many trainers over the past years as well. Fortunately I
                              have a large troop I am a part of and the adult leadership is fantastic.
                              They have taught me many things about outdoor skills and I share leadership
                              training ideas with them. (I never thought I'd find myself camping in
                              freezing weather! and staying warm!)

                              I appreciate your insight and I'm grateful for it! Thank you,
                              Laura Kilby
                              Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
                              Quivira Council, Kansas

                              > Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the
                              > Patrol Method
                              > session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is
                              > leadership and
                              > ITOLS is the outdoors.
                              >
                              > Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their
                              > Portion". They
                              > will work much better, both individually and as a team, when
                              > they know the
                              > entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the
                              > whole thing.
                              > Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did
                              > attend TDC didn't
                              > you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                              > doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a
                              > back-up or primary
                              > person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good
                              > thing before the
                              > course, as a practice run and for team building.
                              >
                              > I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate
                              > those courses
                              > into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to
                              > squeeze in the
                              > Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!
                              >
                              > James Gallo
                              > Leadership Development
                              > Brooklyn Council
                              > Greater New York Councils

                            • Wendell Brown
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 21, 2003
                                Kevin, I took your "not a moderator" comment to heart and decided to
                                grant your unspoken wish. Poof... your a moderator.

                                I would like everyone to welcome Scouter-T's newest moderator - Kevin
                                outa Norman.

                                PS.... Kevin, if you choose not to accept this offer please let me know
                                and I'll back it out. :)

                                Wendell Brown - Scouting The Net
                                http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                              • R Fisher
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 22, 2003
                                  Hi Kevin Outa Norman, Congrats on your promotion.

                                  Roy Fisher