Re: Eagle Policy

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
      I only know what happens in the troop with whom I'm associated ... your
      mileage may vary.

      In our troop:

      BEFORE THE EAGLE BOARD of REVIEW:
      Each Eagle Candidate (read: Life Scout) should have an advisor to help them
      along the way with any paperwork questions.

      Generally speaking it is someone who is familiar with the process of
      becoming an Eagle, but who is not closely associated with the particular
      scout [read: not a parent, or scoutmaster ... but instead, a committee
      member, or a Scouter-friend from outside the unit].

      You (Eagle Counselor) do not just hand the Eagle packet to the Scout and
      send them on their way. You first review the packet with the Scout to be
      sure he understands what is required of him. You are then available to the
      Scout should he have any questions. You do not do the work for him, you are
      an observer and an advisor should he need it.

      AFTER THE EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEW:
      1) The TROOP does the court of honor with the involvement of the committee,
      just like all of the courts of honor.

      2) The FAMILY handles the reception if there is to be one.

      Therefore, anything associated with reservations for the ECOH, is the
      TROOP/TROOP COMMITTEE responsibility. Subsequently, anything with the
      RECEPTION is the FAMILY'S responsibility. If the reception is to be held at
      the same location as the ceremony, the family and the committee/troop
      coordinate.

      Again, this is what happens in my troop ... your troop may do things
      differently ... this is what we find works for us. Your mileage may vary.

      Ida