Re: TDC

  • Jak Stallings
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 4, 2003
      How often: normally 1/year in August, but I'm doing a
      second one in a couple of weeks to catch a few people who
      have a need.

      How many: depends on your facility and resources. We've
      had 50 or so without problems. The one in a couple of
      weeks will have less than 10. With smaller groups you
      might not have multiple round robin sessions going at the
      same time. The BSA 500 is also less effective with a small
      group.

      Time allowed (instruction): It is tight, but we stay on
      schedule.

      Time allowed (BSA 500): The 60 seconds has not been a
      problem for us. We do have a proctor for each group and
      don't require written answers. This has been a fun thing
      and the competitive aspects haven't gotten out of hand. If
      a group is having trouble getting to all of the questions,
      I'd suggest that they work as a team and divide the work.

      YiS,
      Jak Stallings
      Training Chair
      Istrouma Area Council
      Prairieville, LA

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • David Gottshall
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 16, 2010
        Having attended and staffed both, I find them almost completely different in scope and audience.

        TDC is a toolbox course. It provides a wide variety of nuts and bolts to develop training aids with very little pre-course preparation and only limited practical training/exercise.

        Trainer's EDGE is a more practical course with extensive pre-preparation and with over half the course dedicated to practical exercises, delivery, and review of individual presenter skills.

        Gerry correctly notes that TDC is an excellent initial training development course. Trainer's EDGE is a different animal.

        I have found that this two-tier system of training; one for NYLT and WB and one for everything else to be counter-productive.

        Dave Gottshall