RE: [Scouter_T] Eagle Policy

  • Laura Kilby
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
      My two cents,

      One of my other hats (my Primary registration) is as the Advancement
      Chairman for our Troop. I've done this for almost 2 years now. We don't have
      "troop" requirements, but we do support the boys and help to educate them
      with all the requirements for Eagle.

      We are NOT an Eagle factory, but last year, I was reviewing the rank of all
      our scouts. We had a large number of boys (as a percentage of our troop of
      about 40 registered scouts) who were Life or nearly at that rank. I talked
      to all of them as a group and individually to explain to them exactly where
      they stood and what they had left to accomplish.

      I, then, made myself available to them to answer any questions they and/or
      their parents may have. Our troop is nearly 50 years old and we have a board
      that has a little metal plaque for each Eagle Scout from the troop over the
      past years. On close inspection, it was discovered that in two prior years
      they had 6 Eagles. We had/have a potential for 13 Eagles. When the boys were
      informed of this, THEY got really excited at the possibility of breaking
      that record! LOL, then one of those Eagles from a past year challenged the
      boys to beat his record. It's amusing to watch the young men holding each
      other accountable. The adults have been scrambling to meet all the necessary
      Merit Badge requirements as the boys request them. We aren't pushing this,
      however, we are encouraging it.

      This effort started in the beginning of 02, and we had a total of ONE Eagle
      last year, but, several of the boys were getting close. This month,
      February, we will conduct 2 Eagle Boards of Review, and either later this
      month or in March, we'll hold another 3 (based on the status of Service
      Projects and Merit Badges) There are several other boys who could finish
      their Eagle requirements this year, but it's the growth and excitement of
      the boys that is infectious.

      They've witnessed one boy whose mom did most of the work and that's NOT what
      they want for themselves.

      OK, that's what I have to say about Eagle Policy. We encourage the boys, we
      make ourselves available for questions and merit badges, we give suggestions
      for projects if asked or give guidance on how to find projects.

      :)
      Laura Kilby
      Advancement Chairman, T-133
      Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
      Quivira Council, Kansas
      OA Encampment Advisor 2003, Kansa Lodge

    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
        I only know what happens in the troop with whom I'm associated ... your
        mileage may vary.

        In our troop:

        BEFORE THE EAGLE BOARD of REVIEW:
        Each Eagle Candidate (read: Life Scout) should have an advisor to help them
        along the way with any paperwork questions.

        Generally speaking it is someone who is familiar with the process of
        becoming an Eagle, but who is not closely associated with the particular
        scout [read: not a parent, or scoutmaster ... but instead, a committee
        member, or a Scouter-friend from outside the unit].

        You (Eagle Counselor) do not just hand the Eagle packet to the Scout and
        send them on their way. You first review the packet with the Scout to be
        sure he understands what is required of him. You are then available to the
        Scout should he have any questions. You do not do the work for him, you are
        an observer and an advisor should he need it.

        AFTER THE EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEW:
        1) The TROOP does the court of honor with the involvement of the committee,
        just like all of the courts of honor.

        2) The FAMILY handles the reception if there is to be one.

        Therefore, anything associated with reservations for the ECOH, is the
        TROOP/TROOP COMMITTEE responsibility. Subsequently, anything with the
        RECEPTION is the FAMILY'S responsibility. If the reception is to be held at
        the same location as the ceremony, the family and the committee/troop
        coordinate.

        Again, this is what happens in my troop ... your troop may do things
        differently ... this is what we find works for us. Your mileage may vary.

        Ida