RE: [Scouter_T] Eagle Policy

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
      Wow, this topic scared me. Two years ago at JLTC we had an older
      participant (17)
      who said it was a requirement for Eagle in his troop to attend JLTC. When I
      read
      your note I envisioned your putting together 'troop' requirements for Eagle.
      While
      there are nice things for the boy to have done (ex. attending JLTC), no
      troop
      requirements should be added to the BSA requirements.

      Pete Mullaney

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
        My two cents,

        One of my other hats (my Primary registration) is as the Advancement
        Chairman for our Troop. I've done this for almost 2 years now. We don't have
        "troop" requirements, but we do support the boys and help to educate them
        with all the requirements for Eagle.

        We are NOT an Eagle factory, but last year, I was reviewing the rank of all
        our scouts. We had a large number of boys (as a percentage of our troop of
        about 40 registered scouts) who were Life or nearly at that rank. I talked
        to all of them as a group and individually to explain to them exactly where
        they stood and what they had left to accomplish.

        I, then, made myself available to them to answer any questions they and/or
        their parents may have. Our troop is nearly 50 years old and we have a board
        that has a little metal plaque for each Eagle Scout from the troop over the
        past years. On close inspection, it was discovered that in two prior years
        they had 6 Eagles. We had/have a potential for 13 Eagles. When the boys were
        informed of this, THEY got really excited at the possibility of breaking
        that record! LOL, then one of those Eagles from a past year challenged the
        boys to beat his record. It's amusing to watch the young men holding each
        other accountable. The adults have been scrambling to meet all the necessary
        Merit Badge requirements as the boys request them. We aren't pushing this,
        however, we are encouraging it.

        This effort started in the beginning of 02, and we had a total of ONE Eagle
        last year, but, several of the boys were getting close. This month,
        February, we will conduct 2 Eagle Boards of Review, and either later this
        month or in March, we'll hold another 3 (based on the status of Service
        Projects and Merit Badges) There are several other boys who could finish
        their Eagle requirements this year, but it's the growth and excitement of
        the boys that is infectious.

        They've witnessed one boy whose mom did most of the work and that's NOT what
        they want for themselves.

        OK, that's what I have to say about Eagle Policy. We encourage the boys, we
        make ourselves available for questions and merit badges, we give suggestions
        for projects if asked or give guidance on how to find projects.

        :)
        Laura Kilby
        Advancement Chairman, T-133
        Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
        Quivira Council, Kansas
        OA Encampment Advisor 2003, Kansa Lodge

      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
          I only know what happens in the troop with whom I'm associated ... your
          mileage may vary.

          In our troop:

          BEFORE THE EAGLE BOARD of REVIEW:
          Each Eagle Candidate (read: Life Scout) should have an advisor to help them
          along the way with any paperwork questions.

          Generally speaking it is someone who is familiar with the process of
          becoming an Eagle, but who is not closely associated with the particular
          scout [read: not a parent, or scoutmaster ... but instead, a committee
          member, or a Scouter-friend from outside the unit].

          You (Eagle Counselor) do not just hand the Eagle packet to the Scout and
          send them on their way. You first review the packet with the Scout to be
          sure he understands what is required of him. You are then available to the
          Scout should he have any questions. You do not do the work for him, you are
          an observer and an advisor should he need it.

          AFTER THE EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEW:
          1) The TROOP does the court of honor with the involvement of the committee,
          just like all of the courts of honor.

          2) The FAMILY handles the reception if there is to be one.

          Therefore, anything associated with reservations for the ECOH, is the
          TROOP/TROOP COMMITTEE responsibility. Subsequently, anything with the
          RECEPTION is the FAMILY'S responsibility. If the reception is to be held at
          the same location as the ceremony, the family and the committee/troop
          coordinate.

          Again, this is what happens in my troop ... your troop may do things
          differently ... this is what we find works for us. Your mileage may vary.

          Ida