Re: TDC

  • Mike Nicholson <radiomike426@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi,

      I too went to TDC this past weekend, as a participant. As I read
      the first question I began to chuckle. The group I was in had the
      same reaction, but we were given a logical answer that caused us to
      re-think the purpose of the 500.

      Normally I would snip and cut but in this instance I think I will
      keep the original and answer each question after it is asked.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sharp, Annemarie" <ansharp@i...>
      wrote:
      > Our council held a Trainer Development Conference this past
      Saturday. I was a presenter for one of the sessions, and will be co-
      chairing the event next year. We had a few hitches, but by and large
      it went well. I have a few questions to pose to the list:

      > 1.) How long do you give for the BSA 500 quiz after each session?
      We had one team get very upset because they thought 60 seconds wasn't
      nearly enough time.

      As I mentioned above we had the same question. We were told everyone
      was having the same problem. As we went along it became apparent teh
      questions were intended to cause us to think. It was also fun.

      > 2.) How many particpants do you run through at one time? We had 18
      in our session. It was a bit crowded due to space, but I think we
      could have handled more in a larger area.

      If I recall there were 23 students at our course. We had plenty of
      room and there was no problem.

      > 3.) How long does the entire course take for you? We had a
      difficult time staying on schedule, while we finished on time, we
      were really rushed, and we used lunch and breaks to make up time.

      Lunch was a quick affair. Our breaks were fairly short as well. At
      first I thought more time was needed but I as we came to an end I was
      ready to go. The day began at 8 AM and ended about 4-4:30 PM. The
      only way I could see adding time would be to make a 2 day course. I
      could that being problematic as well. Can those taking the course
      afford 2 days? Would the course become too slow and bog down? I
      don't know for sure. I do know I would have had a problem getting 2
      days in a row to attend.

      > 4.) How often do you hold a TDC? We've been doing it once a year,
      but I'd like to see it done twice a year.

      I am not positive but I think the course was only offered 1 time per
      year here as well.

      > 5.) Do you always have it in the same location? We have a pretty
      large council geographically. Some people had to drive nearly three
      hours one-way.

      I am in an urban area. There are several councils in the area. I
      would be willing to guess like some other courses only offered once a
      year it would be possible to go to one offered at another location.
      Again I am not positive, but it would make sense.

      > 6.) Any other suggestions?

      If there is any way to provide most of the information in the
      powerpoint presentation or other visual aids to the participants at
      the end of the day it would help. Several of us, myself included,
      missed a few things while scrawling notes. If the participants were
      told this would be provided it would help and might speed things up a
      little. As an alternative if there was a way to review or see these
      again to allow corrections or completion of notes already taken that
      might be helpful.

      Now I have the information. What I need now is practice and
      experience.

      > Annemarie Sharp
      > Office of Development
      > Kelley School of Business
      > 1275 East Tenth Street, #3000
      > Bloomington, IN 47405-1701
      > (p) (812) 855-6994
      > (f) (812) 855-3535
      > ansharp@i... <mailto:ansharp@i...>

      Mike Nicholson
    • David Gottshall
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 16, 2010
        Having attended and staffed both, I find them almost completely different in scope and audience.

        TDC is a toolbox course. It provides a wide variety of nuts and bolts to develop training aids with very little pre-course preparation and only limited practical training/exercise.

        Trainer's EDGE is a more practical course with extensive pre-preparation and with over half the course dedicated to practical exercises, delivery, and review of individual presenter skills.

        Gerry correctly notes that TDC is an excellent initial training development course. Trainer's EDGE is a different animal.

        I have found that this two-tier system of training; one for NYLT and WB and one for everything else to be counter-productive.

        Dave Gottshall