Re: [Scouter_T] TDC

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 3, 2003
      Sharp, Annemarie wrote:

      >Our council held a Trainer Development Conference this past Saturday. I
      >was a presenter for one of the sessions, and will be co-chairing the
      >event next year. We had a few hitches, but by and large it went well. I
      >have a few questions to pose to the list:
      >
      >1.) How long do you give for the BSA 500 quiz after each session? We had
      >one team get very upset because they thought 60 seconds wasn't nearly
      >enough time.

      -- 60 seconds is the recommended time frame. Remember, the intent is to
      make it fun by adding a little competition and "esprit de corps" into
      the mix. This is a "game with a purpose" and the purpose here is to get
      everyone excited and trying to win. Besides, didn't you also note how
      time constrained you were? :-)

      >2.) How many participants do you run through at one time? We had 18 in
      >our session. It was a bit crowded due to space, but I think we could
      >have handled more in a larger area.

      -- We average 30-50 per class. We've handled as many as 100+. If you
      divide them up into teams of 6-8 this makes for more teams, thus more
      competition, and smaller learning and discussion groups. It also makes
      the right size per table. The size and layout of your facility is very
      important to the success of the conference. Fellowship halls, large
      conference type rooms, even gymnasiums (with flexible table and chair
      arrangement) make good locations. Auditoriums or rooms with fixed or
      stadium type seating do not work well with this conference.

      >3.) How long does the entire course take for you? We had a difficult
      >time staying on schedule, while we finished on time, we were really
      >rushed, and we used lunch and breaks to make up time.

      -- The recommended time schedule seems adequate but tight. It does not
      allow a lot of flexibility for an over abundance of discussion or Q&A.
      You have to keep to your schedule and keep things moving quickly,
      especially the BSA 500 question and "race" period at the end of each
      session. Little things make a big difference. It starts with
      registration - get as much done ahead of time as you possibly can. This
      means an emphasis on pre-registration, preprinting of things like name
      tags, preparation of paperwork, etc. As far as lunch goes, we try to
      feed everyone onsite (included in TDC cost) to save some time (45 min.
      max.). Also, having the right equipment prepped, staged and ready to go
      helps too.
      I believe it is the intention of the course to be run tight time
      wise. It forces you to keep things moving, which inturn makes for better
      participation and the time seems to go by quicker, making it a better
      experience for the participants. Also, adequate prep on the part of the
      presenters is essential in getting the material delivered in the
      allotted time.

      >4.) How often do you hold a TDC? We've been doing it once a year, but
      >I'd like to see it done twice a year.

      -- This is really a matter of meeting the needs of your individual
      Council. We are a large Council, so we hold TDC's 3-4 times a year
      (about every 3-4 months). That may not work for every Council. You
      really need to assess the local need and respond accordingly. The other
      side of this coin is demand, that is, how well you promote this course
      in your Council. That makes a difference too. Start with the Council's
      Training Committee and Wood Badge Course Director(s) to create interest.
      The DE's and Council Program staff can have a big influence too. Also
      push with the individual training chairs and key 3 in each district. It
      is their best interest to have as many instructors of training course
      "trained" through TDC as possible. Obviously RT's., Council web site,
      and Council newsletter promotion is important too. We have found that no
      one avenue of promotion is adequate in reaching a majority of adult
      leaders. Do what seems to work beat to get the word out of the benefits
      and importance of this course.

      >5.) Do you always have it in the same location? We have a pretty large
      >council geographically. Some people had to drive nearly three hours
      >one-way.

      -- Our Council is fairly large too, covering seven counties and almost 3
      hours drive from one end to the other. Most of the time we try to hold
      in a central location. Recently, we have been experimenting with holding
      every other TDC in a remote area of the Council, moving it around to
      make it more convenient for that particular area to participate. This
      really only works well when it is also promoted heavily in that area
      that is best served.

      >6.) Any other suggestions?

      -- Educate about the TDC's benefits whenever and wherever you can, and
      promote, promote, promote!
      At least once a year we put an article in our Council newsletter
      explaining all about TDC and its importance.

      Hope some of this helps. It takes a lot of work to properly prepare for
      one of these conferences, but it makes a big difference in the quality
      of the training and is worth the extra effort when it comes off well
      received.

      YiS,
      Jim
      Sand Lake District Training Chair
    • David Gottshall
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 16, 2010
        Having attended and staffed both, I find them almost completely different in scope and audience.

        TDC is a toolbox course. It provides a wide variety of nuts and bolts to develop training aids with very little pre-course preparation and only limited practical training/exercise.

        Trainer's EDGE is a more practical course with extensive pre-preparation and with over half the course dedicated to practical exercises, delivery, and review of individual presenter skills.

        Gerry correctly notes that TDC is an excellent initial training development course. Trainer's EDGE is a different animal.

        I have found that this two-tier system of training; one for NYLT and WB and one for everything else to be counter-productive.

        Dave Gottshall