Youth Protection Online Training

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2003
      The "Youth Protection Guidelines for Leaders and Parents" web site is
      up and running. You may visit my council's Web Site to visit the YP
      Training <www.boyscouts-ncac.org>.

      The program has both text and audio. It appears to have been well
      done. Some of the participants are the same as the old video, while
      others are new. The screen has the text of what the speaker is saying,
      with a box in the upper right that is like a PowerPoint presentation
      based on what the speaker is saying.

      The Child Abuse Reporting guidelines are based on the Council Web Site
      you accessed the training from. That is why some Councils are ahead of
      others to be able to add the Youth Protecttrainingnnig link on its Web
      Site.

      You progress through the program at your own pace. You select the Back
      & Next buttons. The Next buttons sometimes appear before the speaker
      is finished, in the event that you halreadyrady read the text. Your
      downlspeedpead, and the amount of other traffic you are sending and
      receiving over the line may slow responseonse time down.

      There are questions along the way for you to answer. Some questions
      show a scene and ask you to identify the policy that is not being
      followed.

      There is a section summary at the end of each section.

      At the end of the course there is a test.

      This is not a course that you should expect to take in a few minutes.
      I have been on this for over an hour.

      YoursScoutingting,
      Ken

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
        Ken, I looked and could not find a link to the YPT online training. Some
        excellent YPT information, yes, but not the online training. Has the link
        been temporarily removed, or were my search efforts merely not clever
        enough?

        Thanks!
        Teresa Hall
        Pack 321 CC, Bluff Park UMC
        Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
        Greater AL Council

[...]

      • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
          I found that the link was right there on the front page, but the training is
          not there, the following message appeared:
          Online Youth Protection Training
          Required training in the comfort of your own home!
          Thank you for wishing to take the new online Youth Protection Training.
          Although this training module became available online February 1, 2003 as
          scheduled, there is a national problem with one of the final stages of the
          training - the "Verify and Submit" page. This stage must be completed in
          order to receive training credit for taking the course.
          To help prevent less than stellar experiences, this training link has been
          temporarily removed from the NCAC Web site until the problem is resolved.
          It is hoped this problem will be quickly fixed at which time the training
          link will be replaced.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
            LOL - thank you, Rick, this is what I get for being on my dial-up modem at
            home this week. The graphics don't always make it on the page before my
            impatience kicks in.

            Teresa

            The "Youth Protection Guidelines for Leaders and Parents" web site is
            up and running. You may visit my council's Web Site to visit the YP
            Training <www.boyscouts-ncac.org>.

            <http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Kevin Pate
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2003
              For those who are interested, I just completed the
              online version of YPT on Wednesday 2/05, about 1:20
              a.m. CDT. The Verify and Submit page at the end of
              the online course appeared to work just fine, so
              perhaps the folks down Irving way stayed late on
              Tuesday to correct whatever glitch was earlier
              noticed.

              I entered the YPT online module through my local
              council site: http:/www.lastfrontiercouncil.org
              there's a link on the main index that will take you to
              the YPT specific page on the site. Read or scroll
              down that page to get to the link to the module.

              Happy reading and clicking to all. As it's late late
              or early early, depending on one's perspective, night
              night too.

              Kevin outta Norman, America

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Ken Todd
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
                Teresa,

                You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
                Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
                link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
                it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
                results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.

                There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
                week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
                until BSA resolved the reporting problem.

                I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
                test results were submitted to my Council.

                Yours in Scouting,
                Ken

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
                  Ken Todd wrote:

                  > Teresa,
                  >
                  > You are going too deep into the Site if you are searching. On the
                  > Front Page <http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/>, on the right side is a
                  > link "New! Youth Protection Training Online". Click on that link and
                  > it should work. Just realize that if you completed the course, the
                  > results will be sent to NCAC, not you Council.
                  >
                  > There was a problem last weekend as the National Office. During the
                  > week, NCAC substituted a page explaining that it had disabled the link
                  > until BSA resolved the reporting problem.
                  >
                  > I just tested the link and took the test. I received a message that my
                  > test results were submitted to my Council.
                  >
                  > Yours in Scouting,
                  > Ken

                  I took the test there (and at the Last Frontier Council site) earlier this
                  wee.
                  I just tried to enter through NCAC and am advised that they have "Temporarily
                  Removed" the training due to a 'national problem' with "Verify and Submit".
                  2PMCST 2-7-03
                  Lloyd
                • Ken Todd
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Thsi was an error on the National Site that has been fixed, if you are
                    coming in from a Council Web Site. Check it out.

                    Yours in scouting,
                    Ken
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                      I wanted to share that we had a marvelous training session on Saturday. I
                      feel the syllabus for Troop Committee Challege is excellent. I need to get
                      another puzzle and card set though. I did make my own version, lol, long
                      story about how I did that! I did not have an overhead projector, nor access
                      to a system to use a computer projection system. SO, what I did was make BIG
                      printouts of the various topics cut them to look like cartoon conversation
                      balloons. Then I'd paste them on posterboard when I was ready for them. That
                      worked great! I'm going to laminate the pieces now, and put together
                      something like a flannel board to I can just stick them up there, and not
                      use tape.

                      OK, next event I'm putting together for the first time is.... Boy Scout
                      Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend. Does anyone else do
                      that? Do you have a list of supplies you ask the participants to bring?

                      I'm really looking forward to this training weekend. I love training adults
                      and I have assembled a top-notch training staff. It's not the normal
                      training crew which makes it even better! Not to say the normal crew isn't
                      great, they are preparing for Woodbadge training the next weekend. It's
                      always best to have lots of trainers anyway. IMHO.

                      YiS,
                      Laura Kilby
                      Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                      Quivira Council, Kansas
                    • Kevin Pate
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                        I've not taught the new versions of basic training,
                        but some friends have. As to the IOLS portion, you
                        might look at:
                        www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/train/IOLS/IOLS-F03.htm

                        The registration packet, with participant
                        questionairre, is available through links at the
                        bottom of the referenced page in your choice of these
                        formats: DOS TXT Adobe PDF MS WORD DOC

                        Hope that helps

                        Kevin outta Norman, America

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      • Judy Yeager
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                          Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the first time
                          is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE weekend.

                          How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course and OLS
                          is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?

                          Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!

                          Judy Yeager
                          NT District Training Chair
                          HOAC
                        • llk <kilbyl@cox.net>
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 17, 2003
                            Judy,

                            I realize I don't have a great answer to your question, I just know
                            that is how the other Districts have determined to do this training.
                            They said something about duplication of information. I'm checking
                            this out now. I know there is a certain amount of repetition from
                            training to training, for example each of the courses I've been
                            involved in develops the Aims of Scouting and the Methods of
                            Scouting, but I believe people should hear those over and over. :)

                            My new question is, has anyone scanned in the syllabus for the BSS or
                            IOLS? I'm making copies for my trainers, but it would so much easier
                            if I could just email them their portion of the syllabus.

                            Thanks,
                            Laura Kilby
                            District Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                            Quivira Council, Kansas

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@s...> wrote:
                            > Laura Kilby wrote: . . .next event I'm putting together for the
                            first time
                            > is.... Boy Scout Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills. ALL in ONE
                            weekend.

                            > How in the WORLD can you do that when SM/SA is a 7 1/2 hour course
                            and OLS
                            > is supposed to run from 7:00 pm Friday through about 2:30 Sunday?
                            >
                            > Inquiring minds want to know 8^)!
                            >
                            > Judy Yeager
                            > NT District Training Chair
                            > HOAC
                          • James Gallo
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                              Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the Patrol Method
                              session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is leadership and
                              ITOLS is the outdoors.

                              Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their Portion". They
                              will work much better, both individually and as a team, when they know the
                              entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the whole thing.
                              Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did attend TDC didn't
                              you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                              doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a back-up or primary
                              person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good thing before the
                              course, as a practice run and for team building.

                              I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate those courses
                              into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to squeeze in the
                              Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!

                              James Gallo
                              Leadership Development
                              Brooklyn Council
                              Greater New York Councils
                            • Laura Kilby
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 18, 2003
                                Thanks James,

                                I am attempting to find out why this course was managed as it is. Some of
                                the feedback has been that the BSS is very dry and lacks hands on. I believe
                                it has been taught the traditional way. The previous training chair prepared
                                a detailed schedule that integrates both and she's explaining where some of
                                the "extra time came from." I'll know more later this week, but, it does
                                seem as if things are getting covered. I do want a quality program, and one
                                that people leave better than they were and happy they attended.

                                No, I haven't been to TDC because I "inherited" this job after the council
                                had already conducted ours. I do have the syllabus for it, however. I have a
                                few trainers who are attending to teach just one or two parts, but cannot
                                attend the whole weekend. They are the experts in their fields and I'm
                                grateful to have them. To the other trainers that will attend the entire
                                weekend, I will give them the entire syllabus as you suggested.

                                I have planned a Staff Development as well. Due to the "regular" trainers
                                for our area being on Woodbadge staff, I've had to recruit trainers from my
                                own area of influence which isn't great yet because I'm fairly new to
                                meeting people in the District and Council. I was recruited for this
                                position because I've managed training programs for corporations for years,
                                and I've trained many trainers over the past years as well. Fortunately I
                                have a large troop I am a part of and the adult leadership is fantastic.
                                They have taught me many things about outdoor skills and I share leadership
                                training ideas with them. (I never thought I'd find myself camping in
                                freezing weather! and staying warm!)

                                I appreciate your insight and I'm grateful for it! Thank you,
                                Laura Kilby
                                Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
                                Quivira Council, Kansas

                                > Laura, the only similarity between BSS and ITOLS might be the
                                > Patrol Method
                                > session. Otherwise they are completely different. BSS is
                                > leadership and
                                > ITOLS is the outdoors.
                                >
                                > Anyway, give your staff the entire syllabus, not just "Their
                                > Portion". They
                                > will work much better, both individually and as a team, when
                                > they know the
                                > entire course. Have them develop their session, but read the
                                > whole thing.
                                > Remember your training as a "Training Manager" (you did
                                > attend TDC didn't
                                > you), you might need your "Plan B" if something happens and a staffer
                                > doesn't show for the course. You may need to replace a
                                > back-up or primary
                                > person. Also, a staff development meeting would be a good
                                > thing before the
                                > course, as a practice run and for team building.
                                >
                                > I think it you've got a difficult task trying to integrate
                                > those courses
                                > into one! The schedule for ITOLS doesn't leave much room to
                                > squeeze in the
                                > Boy Scout Specific, you may need a three day weekend!
                                >
                                > James Gallo
                                > Leadership Development
                                > Brooklyn Council
                                > Greater New York Councils

                              • Wendell Brown
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 21, 2003
                                  Kevin, I took your "not a moderator" comment to heart and decided to
                                  grant your unspoken wish. Poof... your a moderator.

                                  I would like everyone to welcome Scouter-T's newest moderator - Kevin
                                  outa Norman.

                                  PS.... Kevin, if you choose not to accept this offer please let me know
                                  and I'll back it out. :)

                                  Wendell Brown - Scouting The Net
                                  http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                                • R Fisher
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 22, 2003
                                    Hi Kevin Outa Norman, Congrats on your promotion.

                                    Roy Fisher