Re: [Scouter_T] Training Management Conference - Philmont

  • Kevin Pate
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
      --- Laura Kilby <kilbyl@...> wrote:
      > ... Yesterday, I received an invitation from
      > National, on the recommendation of the Council,
      > to attend the Training Management Conference. ...
      > We will be attending the June 15-21 session. This
      > is going to be great!

      Yes, it will, for you and your sons. A week at PTC is
      a truly great week. The conferences are outstanding.
      Depending on the ages and general health of your teen
      age sons, they will be able to choose between two
      routes.

      One is the teen group at PTC base camp which goes out
      on short outings and returns, permitting youth the
      opportunity to spend most meal times and evenings with
      you. Don't be too terribly surprised if you have
      trouble finding them at times though. Teens at PTC
      bond fast, and tight, and they tend to hang together
      most of the week.

      The other option for teens 14 (16?) and over is to
      take a Mountain Man trek. On The MM trek, they
      disappear on Sunday at 2 p.m. and you next see them
      (and smell them, lol) on Saturday morning, but the
      mini-trek (20-30 miles, lots of prgram opportunities)
      is an activity they'll never forget.

      If your teens opt instead for the group that remains
      in base camp at PTC each evening, they'll get to do
      COPE, perhaps horses, some great day hikes and also an
      all day outing with an overnight on Thursday night.

      Either way, they'll have a tremendous time.

      For the teens, it really boils down to are they
      backpackers or not. I wouldn't push someone who
      didn't love backpacking into a MM trek, but if that's
      a particular passion, a few years ago my nephew did
      the MM trek and loved it.

      My daughter, who can take backpacking or leave it, but
      generally prefers to leave it, has really enjoyed her
      trips to PTC. She is still in contact with youth she
      met two years ago, and although Philmont has since
      changed the youth program names, in her mind PTC mean
      LJ's!

      For us Scouters, there is no such thing as a bad
      conference at PTC. The volunteers who are slected to
      come teach put a massive level of effort into the
      conference, and so do the participants.

      Have a great time

      Kevin outta Norman, America
      PTC bound in '03, probably week 9 (7/27-8/2)

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com