Training Management Conference - Philmont

  • Laura Kilby
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
      I just had a dream of a lifetime happen for me. After pondering it for
      24-hours, I know it is because I "volunteered" to be the District Training
      Chairman, however, I never dreamed it might lead to an invitation to
      Philmont. At least 10 years ago I read about the Training Center in a
      Scouting magazine. I knew it was something I dearly wanted to do, but did
      not know how to accomplish that.

      Yesterday, I received an invitation from National, on the recommendation of
      the Council, to attend the Training Management Conference. I am a
      professional trainer in my "other" life, so I'm really excited about this.
      I'm a single mom and my ex has been able to provide Disneyworld and other
      "dream" vacations for my boys (I have three teen sons) but, to me, this is a
      dream vacation that I would have chosen. So, the boys are all saving (lol,
      after only 24 hours, it's really delightful to see their excitement about
      going as well).

      Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was, is anyone else going? We will be
      attending the June 15-21 session. This is going to be great!

      Just a little excited here,
      Laura
      Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
      OA Encampment Advisor, Kansas Lodge
      Advancement Chairman, Troop 133 (my primary registration)
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
        --- Laura Kilby <kilbyl@...> wrote:
        > ... Yesterday, I received an invitation from
        > National, on the recommendation of the Council,
        > to attend the Training Management Conference. ...
        > We will be attending the June 15-21 session. This
        > is going to be great!

        Yes, it will, for you and your sons. A week at PTC is
        a truly great week. The conferences are outstanding.
        Depending on the ages and general health of your teen
        age sons, they will be able to choose between two
        routes.

        One is the teen group at PTC base camp which goes out
        on short outings and returns, permitting youth the
        opportunity to spend most meal times and evenings with
        you. Don't be too terribly surprised if you have
        trouble finding them at times though. Teens at PTC
        bond fast, and tight, and they tend to hang together
        most of the week.

        The other option for teens 14 (16?) and over is to
        take a Mountain Man trek. On The MM trek, they
        disappear on Sunday at 2 p.m. and you next see them
        (and smell them, lol) on Saturday morning, but the
        mini-trek (20-30 miles, lots of prgram opportunities)
        is an activity they'll never forget.

        If your teens opt instead for the group that remains
        in base camp at PTC each evening, they'll get to do
        COPE, perhaps horses, some great day hikes and also an
        all day outing with an overnight on Thursday night.

        Either way, they'll have a tremendous time.

        For the teens, it really boils down to are they
        backpackers or not. I wouldn't push someone who
        didn't love backpacking into a MM trek, but if that's
        a particular passion, a few years ago my nephew did
        the MM trek and loved it.

        My daughter, who can take backpacking or leave it, but
        generally prefers to leave it, has really enjoyed her
        trips to PTC. She is still in contact with youth she
        met two years ago, and although Philmont has since
        changed the youth program names, in her mind PTC mean
        LJ's!

        For us Scouters, there is no such thing as a bad
        conference at PTC. The volunteers who are slected to
        come teach put a massive level of effort into the
        conference, and so do the participants.

        Have a great time

        Kevin outta Norman, America
        PTC bound in '03, probably week 9 (7/27-8/2)

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com