Re: [Scouter_T] Eagle policy

  • Debbie Beer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
      I beg to differ on this "the scout will be able to do it all by himself".
      When my son started on his Eagle packet, the advancement chair for our
      district asked him to write everything on paper first, then they would meet
      to make sure it was written up properly before it goes in the packet.
      Grammar, details, etc are things that these boys need help with. Remember
      this is their first real company project proposal as it were.

      From someone who has been there and done that, it is terribly unfair to just
      hand over that packet and not give guidance to the boy and his family. My
      son actually attained his life rank in another troop. When he attained rank
      he was handed the packet and that was it. No guidance, no information, no
      help. Needless to say he is no longer with that troop. His new scoutmaster
      and the advancement chair from our district help give the proper guidance to
      complete the steps required to reach the Eagle rank.

      As for his ceremony, my son and I did write the ceremony and submitted it to
      the scoutmaster for his approval. I have been a scoutleader for 11 years.
      If his scoutmaster had not guided me as to where the resources were to
      effectively plan the court of honor, I would have had difficulty pulling it
      off as well. Can you imagine parents who have never been involved in
      planning such an event trying to put one together for their son. Even with
      his help, there are allot of details that need to be covered.

      For those of you who feel that the proper way to handle advancement from
      Life to Eagle is just to hand over that blank packet, you may want to enroll
      in a class called from Life to Eagle at your local scouting university. You
      may learn a thing or two.

      Just my opinion.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
        I just had a dream of a lifetime happen for me. After pondering it for
        24-hours, I know it is because I "volunteered" to be the District Training
        Chairman, however, I never dreamed it might lead to an invitation to
        Philmont. At least 10 years ago I read about the Training Center in a
        Scouting magazine. I knew it was something I dearly wanted to do, but did
        not know how to accomplish that.

        Yesterday, I received an invitation from National, on the recommendation of
        the Council, to attend the Training Management Conference. I am a
        professional trainer in my "other" life, so I'm really excited about this.
        I'm a single mom and my ex has been able to provide Disneyworld and other
        "dream" vacations for my boys (I have three teen sons) but, to me, this is a
        dream vacation that I would have chosen. So, the boys are all saving (lol,
        after only 24 hours, it's really delightful to see their excitement about
        going as well).

        Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was, is anyone else going? We will be
        attending the June 15-21 session. This is going to be great!

        Just a little excited here,
        Laura
        Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
        OA Encampment Advisor, Kansas Lodge
        Advancement Chairman, Troop 133 (my primary registration)
      • Kevin Pate
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
          --- Laura Kilby <kilbyl@...> wrote:
          > ... Yesterday, I received an invitation from
          > National, on the recommendation of the Council,
          > to attend the Training Management Conference. ...
          > We will be attending the June 15-21 session. This
          > is going to be great!

          Yes, it will, for you and your sons. A week at PTC is
          a truly great week. The conferences are outstanding.
          Depending on the ages and general health of your teen
          age sons, they will be able to choose between two
          routes.

          One is the teen group at PTC base camp which goes out
          on short outings and returns, permitting youth the
          opportunity to spend most meal times and evenings with
          you. Don't be too terribly surprised if you have
          trouble finding them at times though. Teens at PTC
          bond fast, and tight, and they tend to hang together
          most of the week.

          The other option for teens 14 (16?) and over is to
          take a Mountain Man trek. On The MM trek, they
          disappear on Sunday at 2 p.m. and you next see them
          (and smell them, lol) on Saturday morning, but the
          mini-trek (20-30 miles, lots of prgram opportunities)
          is an activity they'll never forget.

          If your teens opt instead for the group that remains
          in base camp at PTC each evening, they'll get to do
          COPE, perhaps horses, some great day hikes and also an
          all day outing with an overnight on Thursday night.

          Either way, they'll have a tremendous time.

          For the teens, it really boils down to are they
          backpackers or not. I wouldn't push someone who
          didn't love backpacking into a MM trek, but if that's
          a particular passion, a few years ago my nephew did
          the MM trek and loved it.

          My daughter, who can take backpacking or leave it, but
          generally prefers to leave it, has really enjoyed her
          trips to PTC. She is still in contact with youth she
          met two years ago, and although Philmont has since
          changed the youth program names, in her mind PTC mean
          LJ's!

          For us Scouters, there is no such thing as a bad
          conference at PTC. The volunteers who are slected to
          come teach put a massive level of effort into the
          conference, and so do the participants.

          Have a great time

          Kevin outta Norman, America
          PTC bound in '03, probably week 9 (7/27-8/2)

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com