Eagle policy

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      >Of course the scout is responsible for the paperwork, but what's wrong
      >with the
      >troop committee making sure he gets the BLANK paperwork he needs? And
      >telling
      >him exactly what HE needs to do?

      What's wrong with it is that by the time a Scout is nearing Eagle material he
      is supposed to have developed his leadership abilities sufficient to do this
      himself, and having adults do it for him undermines his efforts at so
      demonstrating. As a courtesy many troops do present the Scout with the blank
      Life-to-Eagle packet along with his Life badge, but that's as far as it
      should go.

      The requirements are written quite clearly, and as a parent of a not-quite
      first class Scout you may not believe it, but he will be able to do it
      himself by the time he's earning Eagle...or he isn't ready to be Eagle
      material yet. There's a reason it's so special; let's not let adults dilute
      that acomplishment's meaning by interfering. And make no mistake, it IS
      interfering.

      YiS
      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA
      Training Committee Chair
      NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
      Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
      I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
      and now I'm a staffer! NE-I-209
    • Debbie Beer
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
        I beg to differ on this "the scout will be able to do it all by himself".
        When my son started on his Eagle packet, the advancement chair for our
        district asked him to write everything on paper first, then they would meet
        to make sure it was written up properly before it goes in the packet.
        Grammar, details, etc are things that these boys need help with. Remember
        this is their first real company project proposal as it were.

        From someone who has been there and done that, it is terribly unfair to just
        hand over that packet and not give guidance to the boy and his family. My
        son actually attained his life rank in another troop. When he attained rank
        he was handed the packet and that was it. No guidance, no information, no
        help. Needless to say he is no longer with that troop. His new scoutmaster
        and the advancement chair from our district help give the proper guidance to
        complete the steps required to reach the Eagle rank.

        As for his ceremony, my son and I did write the ceremony and submitted it to
        the scoutmaster for his approval. I have been a scoutleader for 11 years.
        If his scoutmaster had not guided me as to where the resources were to
        effectively plan the court of honor, I would have had difficulty pulling it
        off as well. Can you imagine parents who have never been involved in
        planning such an event trying to put one together for their son. Even with
        his help, there are allot of details that need to be covered.

        For those of you who feel that the proper way to handle advancement from
        Life to Eagle is just to hand over that blank packet, you may want to enroll
        in a class called from Life to Eagle at your local scouting university. You
        may learn a thing or two.

        Just my opinion.
        > >Of course the scout is responsible for the paperwork, but what's wrong
        > >with the
        > >troop committee making sure he gets the BLANK paperwork he needs? And
        > >telling
        > >him exactly what HE needs to do?
        >
        > What's wrong with it is that by the time a Scout is nearing Eagle material
        he
        > is supposed to have developed his leadership abilities sufficient to do
        this
        > himself, and having adults do it for him undermines his efforts at so
        > demonstrating. As a courtesy many troops do present the Scout with the
        blank
        > Life-to-Eagle packet along with his Life badge, but that's as far as it
        > should go.
        >
        > The requirements are written quite clearly, and as a parent of a not-quite
        > first class Scout you may not believe it, but he will be able to do it
        > himself by the time he's earning Eagle...or he isn't ready to be Eagle
        > material yet. There's a reason it's so special; let's not let adults
        dilute
        > that acomplishment's meaning by interfering. And make no mistake, it IS
        > interfering.
        >
        > YiS
        > Auntie Beans
        > Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA
        > Training Committee Chair
        > NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
        > Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
        > I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
        > and now I'm a staffer! NE-I-209

      • Laura Kilby
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
          I just had a dream of a lifetime happen for me. After pondering it for
          24-hours, I know it is because I "volunteered" to be the District Training
          Chairman, however, I never dreamed it might lead to an invitation to
          Philmont. At least 10 years ago I read about the Training Center in a
          Scouting magazine. I knew it was something I dearly wanted to do, but did
          not know how to accomplish that.

          Yesterday, I received an invitation from National, on the recommendation of
          the Council, to attend the Training Management Conference. I am a
          professional trainer in my "other" life, so I'm really excited about this.
          I'm a single mom and my ex has been able to provide Disneyworld and other
          "dream" vacations for my boys (I have three teen sons) but, to me, this is a
          dream vacation that I would have chosen. So, the boys are all saving (lol,
          after only 24 hours, it's really delightful to see their excitement about
          going as well).

          Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was, is anyone else going? We will be
          attending the June 15-21 session. This is going to be great!

          Just a little excited here,
          Laura
          Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
          OA Encampment Advisor, Kansas Lodge
          Advancement Chairman, Troop 133 (my primary registration)
        • Kevin Pate
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2003
            --- Laura Kilby <kilbyl@...> wrote:
            > ... Yesterday, I received an invitation from
            > National, on the recommendation of the Council,
            > to attend the Training Management Conference. ...
            > We will be attending the June 15-21 session. This
            > is going to be great!

            Yes, it will, for you and your sons. A week at PTC is
            a truly great week. The conferences are outstanding.
            Depending on the ages and general health of your teen
            age sons, they will be able to choose between two
            routes.

            One is the teen group at PTC base camp which goes out
            on short outings and returns, permitting youth the
            opportunity to spend most meal times and evenings with
            you. Don't be too terribly surprised if you have
            trouble finding them at times though. Teens at PTC
            bond fast, and tight, and they tend to hang together
            most of the week.

            The other option for teens 14 (16?) and over is to
            take a Mountain Man trek. On The MM trek, they
            disappear on Sunday at 2 p.m. and you next see them
            (and smell them, lol) on Saturday morning, but the
            mini-trek (20-30 miles, lots of prgram opportunities)
            is an activity they'll never forget.

            If your teens opt instead for the group that remains
            in base camp at PTC each evening, they'll get to do
            COPE, perhaps horses, some great day hikes and also an
            all day outing with an overnight on Thursday night.

            Either way, they'll have a tremendous time.

            For the teens, it really boils down to are they
            backpackers or not. I wouldn't push someone who
            didn't love backpacking into a MM trek, but if that's
            a particular passion, a few years ago my nephew did
            the MM trek and loved it.

            My daughter, who can take backpacking or leave it, but
            generally prefers to leave it, has really enjoyed her
            trips to PTC. She is still in contact with youth she
            met two years ago, and although Philmont has since
            changed the youth program names, in her mind PTC mean
            LJ's!

            For us Scouters, there is no such thing as a bad
            conference at PTC. The volunteers who are slected to
            come teach put a massive level of effort into the
            conference, and so do the participants.

            Have a great time

            Kevin outta Norman, America
            PTC bound in '03, probably week 9 (7/27-8/2)

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com