Eagle Policy

  • John Houlihan <johnnyh@otw.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2003
      The Troop Committe has recently put lots of effort into drafting a
      policy for eagle scouts from every thing to getting space in the hall
      for court of honor, and starting the paper work when a scout earns
      life rank.

      Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
      traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
      to be invented?

      Thanks,

      John
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2003
        Why? Isn't this the boy's responsibility?

        What is the purpose of codifying it? To help, _or_ to
        hinder?

        YiS,

        Chuck Bramlet
        (Sorry, no sig available here.)

        John Houlihan wrote...
        > The Troop Committe has recently put lots of effort into drafting a
        > policy for eagle scouts [snip]
        > Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
        > traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
        > to be invented?
      • Mills
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2003
          "John Houlihan " wrote:

          > Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
          > traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
          > to be invented?

          Go to http://www.usscouts.org and do a search for "Eagle." Lots of help
          there.

          Mary Ann Mills
        • kathy braden
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2003
            I agree. Most troops use the "Life to Eagle" packet and then set the youth
            on "HIS" way. Our Committee only gets involved as the ECOH approaches and
            "Helps" with the proper planning and such. The rest is up to the youth and
            his family. As it is HIS ceremony.

            Robert

            > Why? Isn't this the boy's responsibility?
            >
            > What is the purpose of codifying it? To help, _or_ to
            > hinder?
            >
            > YiS,
            >
            > Chuck Bramlet
            > (Sorry, no sig available here.)
            >
            > John Houlihan wrote...
            > > The Troop Committe has recently put lots of effort into drafting a
            > > policy for eagle scouts [snip]
            > > Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
            > > traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
            > > to be invented?

          • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2003
              I have created a handout sheet that I give out at Eagle Boards to help with
              this, you can get it here:

              http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/Downloads/Internet_Eagle_Scout_Resource
              s.doc

              Rick

              > Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
              > traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
              > to be invented?

              Go to http://www.usscouts.org and do a search for "Eagle." Lots of help
              there.

              Mary Ann Mills

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2003
                Please note that the link broke to two lines, so you need to copy & paste
                both parts into your browser
                Rick

                > Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
                > traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
                > to be invented?

                Go to http://www.usscouts.org and do a search for "Eagle." Lots of help
                there.

                Mary Ann Mills

                < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050661
                62:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https://www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22lp?Targe
                t=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • wahowland@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
                  In a message dated 1/31/03 8:36:48 AM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

                  >The Troop Committe has recently put lots of effort into drafting a policy
                  for eagle scouts from every thing to getting space in the hall for court of
                  honor, and starting the paper work when a scout earns life rank.

                  >Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop traditions that
                  could take away the feeling that the wheel is going to be invented?>>

                  Well, the Life to Eagle packet is pretty self-explanatory and all-inclusive.
                  <G>. And since it is designed for the YOUTH to carry out, the TC should,
                  well, politely put....ummmm... butt out. NO need whatsoever to reinvent this
                  particular round object.

                  As to the ECOH, there are a number of websites devoted to this (do a google
                  search for "Eagle Scout court of honor" and you'll get a gazillion sites),
                  with ceremonies, recipes, protocols.... that's all individual. If a Scout's
                  family or troop has had such a difficult time putting it together, then
                  perhaps some of those resources will help give them some ideas. Some troops
                  throw a totally scripted fete, some troops have the Scout's family do it,
                  some have the Scouts plan it themselves. No BSA rule about any of the above,
                  or any program content, although many use the traditional "Flight to eagle"
                  and the Eagle charge at some point. I would encourage the TC, if they want to
                  get involved with a particular Eagle, to ask him and his family what THEY
                  want.

                  YiS
                  Auntie Beans
                  Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA
                  Training Committee Chair
                  NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
                  Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
                  I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
                  and now I'm a staffer! NE-I-209
                • Tom Pardue
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
                    I agree with most of the responses that the Scout and
                    family are responsible for the ceremenoy and getting
                    the paperwork completed.
                    However, your committee's heart and thoughts are in
                    the right direction. Many of these parents have never
                    seen an Eagle Court of Honor and while they may have
                    been at the courts of honor to Life this needs to be
                    significant.
                    Our District Advancement chair has distribute "help
                    guidelines" for the troops to get to Life scouts to
                    help them understand the paperwork. I have been
                    blessed with an ASM who works with the older scouts to
                    guide them along. Remember the Troop Committee can
                    also have a board for scouts to check on their
                    progress. My troop is not a factory. I am wanting
                    any scout to reach for Eagle and we will assist in a
                    scout getting there. We do not let scouts go to the
                    merit badge university. We promote summer camp and
                    let them go the cycle there.

                    As far as the ceremony we are trying to help the
                    parents who are not involved know what to do and what
                    is "normal". My checklist is for these parents. They
                    reserve a hall or suitable location. I refer them to
                    macscouter.com for resources on Eagle congratulation
                    letters. We held three Egle courts in January for
                    scouts who had passed boards in the summer. In all
                    cases the parents arranged the hall, refreshments,
                    sent out invitations and set most of the program. In
                    one of these the scout had enlisted and was on leave
                    for the ceremony. His Mom found sites and had fun
                    looking for ceremonies. Some front end work was
                    needed to get her to some of the sites. She sent me
                    the ceremony to look over and with some editing a very
                    good ceremony was done. By editing, I double checked
                    his scouting leadership and advancement and then added
                    in several of the ASMs rather than me as SM doing all
                    the talking.
                    The Scout will need some help with the paperwork but
                    should do that part. The Committee should review the
                    packet to verify completion before turning the packet
                    in, note the TC Chair signature and SM signature.
                    Yes, make the youth responsible but verify the
                    information and make sure the council advancement
                    records match the troop records.
                    Each troop has props that are used such as banners,
                    candle boards and such. The parents need to know of
                    this. A review meeting needs to be made to make sure
                    there is nothing left to chance.

                    A checklist can be a good thing and a Eagle COH
                    resource packet needs to be given to the parents to
                    let them know what can be done to make this a very
                    special day. A very good tool for the planning to
                    take away the jitters. My son was one of the new
                    Eagles and without a checklist I would have been more
                    nervous.

                    Tom Pardue
                    SM Troop 548
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    Sioux District Boy Scout Training

                    --- "John Houlihan <johnnyh@...>"
                    <johnnyh@...> wrote:
                    > The Troop Committe has recently put lots of effort
                    > into drafting a
                    > policy for eagle scouts from every thing to getting
                    > space in the hall
                    > for court of honor, and starting the paper work when
                    > a scout earns
                    > life rank.
                    >
                    > Is there any established guidelines by BSA or
                    > existing troop
                    > traditions that could take away the feeling that the
                    > wheel is going
                    > to be invented?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > John
                    >

                    > For subscription and delevery options send a message
                    > to:

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Wow, this topic scared me. Two years ago at JLTC we had an older
                      participant (17)
                      who said it was a requirement for Eagle in his troop to attend JLTC. When I
                      read
                      your note I envisioned your putting together 'troop' requirements for Eagle.
                      While
                      there are nice things for the boy to have done (ex. attending JLTC), no
                      troop
                      requirements should be added to the BSA requirements.

                      Pete Mullaney

                      The Troop Committe has recently put lots of effort into drafting a
                      policy for eagle scouts from every thing to getting space in the hall
                      for court of honor, and starting the paper work when a scout earns
                      life rank.

                      Is there any established guidelines by BSA or existing troop
                      traditions that could take away the feeling that the wheel is going
                      to be invented?

                      Thanks,

                      John

                      <http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • Laura Kilby
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                        My two cents,

                        One of my other hats (my Primary registration) is as the Advancement
                        Chairman for our Troop. I've done this for almost 2 years now. We don't have
                        "troop" requirements, but we do support the boys and help to educate them
                        with all the requirements for Eagle.

                        We are NOT an Eagle factory, but last year, I was reviewing the rank of all
                        our scouts. We had a large number of boys (as a percentage of our troop of
                        about 40 registered scouts) who were Life or nearly at that rank. I talked
                        to all of them as a group and individually to explain to them exactly where
                        they stood and what they had left to accomplish.

                        I, then, made myself available to them to answer any questions they and/or
                        their parents may have. Our troop is nearly 50 years old and we have a board
                        that has a little metal plaque for each Eagle Scout from the troop over the
                        past years. On close inspection, it was discovered that in two prior years
                        they had 6 Eagles. We had/have a potential for 13 Eagles. When the boys were
                        informed of this, THEY got really excited at the possibility of breaking
                        that record! LOL, then one of those Eagles from a past year challenged the
                        boys to beat his record. It's amusing to watch the young men holding each
                        other accountable. The adults have been scrambling to meet all the necessary
                        Merit Badge requirements as the boys request them. We aren't pushing this,
                        however, we are encouraging it.

                        This effort started in the beginning of 02, and we had a total of ONE Eagle
                        last year, but, several of the boys were getting close. This month,
                        February, we will conduct 2 Eagle Boards of Review, and either later this
                        month or in March, we'll hold another 3 (based on the status of Service
                        Projects and Merit Badges) There are several other boys who could finish
                        their Eagle requirements this year, but it's the growth and excitement of
                        the boys that is infectious.

                        They've witnessed one boy whose mom did most of the work and that's NOT what
                        they want for themselves.

                        OK, that's what I have to say about Eagle Policy. We encourage the boys, we
                        make ourselves available for questions and merit badges, we give suggestions
                        for projects if asked or give guidance on how to find projects.

                        :)
                        Laura Kilby
                        Advancement Chairman, T-133
                        Training Chairman, Santa Fe Trail District
                        Quivira Council, Kansas
                        OA Encampment Advisor 2003, Kansa Lodge

                      • Ida Lively
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 4, 2003
                          I only know what happens in the troop with whom I'm associated ... your
                          mileage may vary.

                          In our troop:

                          BEFORE THE EAGLE BOARD of REVIEW:
                          Each Eagle Candidate (read: Life Scout) should have an advisor to help them
                          along the way with any paperwork questions.

                          Generally speaking it is someone who is familiar with the process of
                          becoming an Eagle, but who is not closely associated with the particular
                          scout [read: not a parent, or scoutmaster ... but instead, a committee
                          member, or a Scouter-friend from outside the unit].

                          You (Eagle Counselor) do not just hand the Eagle packet to the Scout and
                          send them on their way. You first review the packet with the Scout to be
                          sure he understands what is required of him. You are then available to the
                          Scout should he have any questions. You do not do the work for him, you are
                          an observer and an advisor should he need it.

                          AFTER THE EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEW:
                          1) The TROOP does the court of honor with the involvement of the committee,
                          just like all of the courts of honor.

                          2) The FAMILY handles the reception if there is to be one.

                          Therefore, anything associated with reservations for the ECOH, is the
                          TROOP/TROOP COMMITTEE responsibility. Subsequently, anything with the
                          RECEPTION is the FAMILY'S responsibility. If the reception is to be held at
                          the same location as the ceremony, the family and the committee/troop
                          coordinate.

                          Again, this is what happens in my troop ... your troop may do things
                          differently ... this is what we find works for us. Your mileage may vary.

                          Ida