Re: [Scouter_T] District or Council Groups?

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2003
      Chuck wrote:

      > Dan and others. Have you had any problems with your list members
      > being spammed because of the "marketing options" that Yahoo defaults
      > to "on" for all sorts of spam?

      Chuck, I haven't had any complaints about spam -- other than the volume of
      material I send out over the list myself! <VBG> But probably 2/3 or more
      of the list members are email only -- they don't have Yahoo! IDs or
      profiles. The Group website is set up so that the files can be viewed and
      downloaded by anyone, without the need for a Yahoo! ID. And I suspect that
      those who can navigate the process of getting a Yahoo! ID take enough
      interest that they can adjust their settings, or are simply used to spam and
      using their delete key. I probably get 20-30 spam messages a day. It takes
      me maybe 60 to 90 seconds total to deal with it, and in exchange I get all
      the benefits of email and Groups and the internet.

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2003
        Dan wrote...

        > Chuck, I haven't had any complaints about spam -- other than the volume of
        > material I send out over the list myself! <VBG>

        <snicker>

        > But probably 2/3 or more of the list members are email only --
        > they don't have Yahoo! IDs or profiles.

        As I understand it, they don't need the Yahoo profies or username to be spammed. WE set up a special purpose list like that at work. I was a "default member". I hand't had much trouble with spam before then, but I now get 20-50 spams a day.

        That takes me time fro my work to deal with -- usning inbox rules or whatever, and I don't have the option of blocking addresses.

        Persoannly, I blame Yahoo for that increase in spam.

        Dan wrote...

        > Chuck, I haven't had any complaints about spam -- other than the
        > volume of material I send out over the list myself! <VBG>

        <snicker>

        > But probably 2/3 or more of the list members are email only --
        > they don't have Yahoo! IDs or profiles.

        As I understand it, they don't need the Yahoo profiles or username
        to be spammed. WE set up a special purpose list like that at work.
        I was a "default member". I hadn't had much trouble with spam
        before then, but I now get 20-50 spams a day.

        That takes me time from my work to deal with -- using inbox rules
        or whatever, and I don't have the option of blocking addresses.

        > The Group website is set up so that the files can be viewed and
        > downloaded by anyone, without the need for a Yahoo! ID. And I
        > suspect that those who can navigate the process of getting a
        > Yahoo! ID take enough interest that they can adjust their
        > settings, or are simply used to spam and using their delete key.

        Or maybe they just don't know what to do about it? I know that's
        one of the reasons that I didn't take the newsletter that I do over
        to Yahoo -- I have a few folks in areas where they still have to
        pay for email access, by the byte. So I might be more sensitive to
        that.

        As a listowner, however, I don't feel that I have the right to make
        people put up with the hassle of getting a Yahoo ID, linking there
        addresses, and then turning all this #@$#%@ off.

        This address is my dedicated address for Scouting purposes. On my
        other address, I signed on this morning, and found 5 new messages.
        4 were spam, and one was a broadcast form the other NPO I work
        with. Cox doesn't offer me the option of filtering, like Yahoo
        does. But Yahoo now charges for POP3 download, and I get that free
        with my Cox account.

        > I probably get 20-30 spam messages a day. It takes me maybe 60
        > to 90 seconds total to deal with it, and in exchange I get all
        > the benefits of email and Groups and the internet.

        Personally, I blame Yahoo for the increase in my spam, and I
        _don't_ consider it a benefit, or "small price to pay".

        I know you've been around on Scouts-L and some other lists for a
        long time. You might remember my other address -- chuckb@aztec...?
        That address is now useless to me, because all I get there is spam.
        and it's about 125 messages a day! This is pure horse re-processed
        hay!

        <SLAP!> <Snap out of it, Chuck.>

        OK, I feel better now. Sorry for the diatribe... Anyway, I
        redirected it to a yahoo account, just to be able to handle it all,
        without closing the account. (It's on a freenet.)

        I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
        Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
        -- Stephen R. Covey
        PS: Spam is not the "Main Thing".
      • Dan Kurtenbach
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2003
          Thanks for your comments, Chuck. I guess spam just has not become much of a
          problem for me at this point, and, as I said, I haven't had any complaints
          about the Yahoo! Group. I don't know if groups/communities provided by
          other companies, such as AOL and MSN, have the same spam issues as Yahoo!

          I suppose there are other things I could do, such as simply maintain a list
          of email addresses in Outlook, or find a free bulletin-board type service
          rather than an email-based group. But the bottom line is that the Yahoo!
          Group (i) has substantial advantages over other options that I could handle,
          and (ii) is within my personal "technical" capabilities. If someone wants
          to do something else for a District news/information system, more power to
          them! I would never say that a Yahoo! Group is the best tool for the job;
          it's just the best tool I have in *my* toolbox.

          Dan Kurtenbach
          Fairfax, VA