Re: [Scouter_T] District or Council Groups? (Examples included--longish)

  • antelope95@cox.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2003
      Sean:

      I am requesting forwarding permission. My cousin and I set up a broadcast only list like yours, and the District secretary (on AOL no less) is refusing to use it. She "doesn't see the need", I guess.

      I'd like to forward this to her as an idea...

      YiS,

      Chuck

      > From: "Sean Scott" <sscott@...>
      > Date: 2003/01/17 Fri PM 12:23:18 EST
      > To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] District or Council Groups? (Examples included--longish)
      >
      > Laura asked: We have a Yahoo Group we've started for our training needs in
      > the District. Do any of you have one for your area? What kinds of things do
      > you put on them? <snip>
      >

      > Laura,
      >
      > I've been running such a list in my district for about 3 years now. It is a
      > 'broadcast only' list so people cannot randomly post to it.
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2003
        Chuck asked: I am requesting forwarding permission. My cousin and I set up
        a broadcast only list like yours, and the District secretary (on AOL no
        less) is refusing to use it. She "doesn't see the need", I guess. I'd like
        to forward this to her as an idea...

        Chuck,

        Forward away as needed. Feel free to take a look at the past two years worth
        of messages at Yahoo Groups under the list "Tahquitz-RT".

        Regarding problems with spam, no complaints from any members. Like Dan, most
        of my group is web-only, and because I've blocked non-administrator viewing
        of membership, the only spam they do get is Yahoo spam. (Wait, I'm not
        saying that some spam is good and other spam isn't, but Yahoo spam ain't
        that bad compared to some I get...)

        Incidentally, really good articles in SysAdmin Magazine this month on
        setting up a mail server on your home network to virtually eliminate spam,
        even on your Hotmail and Yahoo! web-based mail accounts. Looks like I'll
        have a project for the weekend...

        YiS,
        Sean
      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 18, 2003
          Sean wrote...

          > Forward away as needed.

          Thanks.

          > Feel free to take a look at the past two years worth of messages
          > at Yahoo Groups under the list "Tahquitz-RT".

          Thanks for that, too. I'll forward her (Dist. Sec.) the idea, too.

          > Regarding problems with spam, no complaints from any members.
          > Like Dan, most of my group is web-only, and because I've blocked
          > non-administrator viewing of membership, the only spam they do
          > get is Yahoo spam. (Wait, I'm not saying that some spam is good
          > and other spam isn't, but Yahoo spam ain't that bad compared to
          > some I get...)

          Are you aware that Yahoo sells that list? Also, see my comments to
          Dan.

          > Incidentally, really good articles in SysAdmin Magazine this
          > month on setting up a mail server on your home network to
          > virtually eliminate spam, even on your Hotmail and Yahoo! web-
          > based mail accounts. Looks like I'll have a project for the
          > weekend...

          So, how do I get a copy? >:) Thanks for the info.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
          Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Sean Scott
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 18, 2003
            > > Regarding problems with spam, no complaints from any members.
            > > Like Dan, most of my group is web-only, and because I've blocked
            > > non-administrator viewing of membership, the only spam they do
            > > get is Yahoo spam. (Wait, I'm not saying that some spam is good
            > > and other spam isn't, but Yahoo spam ain't that bad compared to
            > > some I get...)
            >
            > Are you aware that Yahoo sells that list? Also, see my comments to
            > Dan.

            I used to work for Yahoo and will say that their policy on spam (and list
            sales) was pretty decent, compared with Microsoft and AOL. Yahoo is in the
            position of supporting a massive system of mail groups like this one, which
            incur a tremendous cost to them. They've done surveys in the past and
            discovered that most members would leave with a very bitter taste if they
            made Groups a paid service. And the experiences of a couple other list hosts
            who converted to subscriptions and lost business elsewhere demonstrated that
            netziens can get nasty when their free services get pulled.

            So while not all spam is good spam, Yahoo is doing (in my opinion) a pretty
            good job of riding the fine line of maintaining excellent service for their
            Groups, while not trying to turn it into a money maker in and of itself.
            Just making sure it's self sufficient. Personally, I've found that most
            Yahoo spam comes from spamhauses grepping through the unprotected member
            lists of the groups themselves. Group owners have the ability to restrict
            access to the membership lists, but by default they're left wide open.

            > > Incidentally, really good articles in SysAdmin Magazine this
            > > month on setting up a mail server on your home network to
            > > virtually eliminate spam, even on your Hotmail and Yahoo! web-
            > > based mail accounts. Looks like I'll have a project for the
            > > weekend...
            >
            > So, how do I get a copy? >:) Thanks for the info.

            You can pick up a copy at most Barnes & Noble booksellers for $5.95. The
            article is in the Feb 2003 issue, which arrived in my mailbox yesterday, so
            it may not be on the shelves yet. Check their website at www.sysadminmag.com
            for more info.

            YiS,
            Sean
          • Scouter Chuck
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 18, 2003
              Sean:

              You wrote...

              > I used to work for Yahoo and will say that their policy on spam
              > (and list sales) was pretty decent, compared with Microsoft and
              > AOL.

              Fie! Fie!! ;)

              I do have a relevant questions, though: Is there any way to
              contact a _real_live_ person at Yahoo help? All I've managed to
              get is the canned response.

              One of the things they do that ticks me off, is to limit my filters
              to 15, and blocks to 100. Now, 100 block is OK, but I have to
              block a full address.

              One of the spammers that I get uses the following usernames:

              funformondaynnnn@...
              funfortuesdaynnnn@...
              funforwednesdaynnnn@...
              funforthurdaydaynnnn@...
              funforfridaynnnn@...
              funforsatdaynnnn@...
              funforsundaynnnn@...

              In addition, they have several other addresses that they use.

              I would _like_ to be able to block everything from yourbigvote.com.
              They don't give me the option. But, if I wanted to filter it, I
              could filter is by the address fragment.

              This whole spam issue is a real heartburn to me, but I'm also
              enough of a realist to know that if the US passes a law against
              spam, the spammer will just move to Tonga or Shanghai, where it's
              not regulated, and US law doesn't apply.

              I also find it interesting that Microsoft Outlook won't allow me to
              set an address to block. So, at work I have to filter by the
              address fragment to a folder, usually named "spam", and then go in
              there and delete it.

              I also am annoyed with them because our company policy says to not
              respond to the "remove me", or even open the stuff. But I have to
              open it to get the address to block.

              Also, I just found out that when one goes on vacation and set the
              "out of Office Assistant", that responds to each address --
              spammers included, and my rules don't work.

              Talks about a protection racket... :(

              I could go one, but I think you get the picture.

              BTW, did you hear about the fellow that had a political anti-tax
              website that got permanently banned by one ISP? The ISP used the
              spam rules against him on the unsolicited email. but all he was
              doing was allowing people to send email to their legislators, using
              his system. Each email was from a different person, but went to
              all 110 legislators. The legislative webmaster blocked the domain,
              and all the rejections went to his ISP.

              Personally, I think it's a stretch. If the capitol had received
              30,000 emails about that tax hike, maybe they should have listened?
              :/

              That's on Worlnetdaily.com, in today's (weekend) edition. If you
              are one that reads their stuff. Every time I post anything from
              there to one of the lists, Ted Burton on one of the others posts a
              reply that states "Hardly a reliable source". Oo.:(

              I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
              Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
              -- Stephen R. Covey
            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 22, 2003
                On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:00:36 -0500, Scouter Chuck wrote:

                >I also find it interesting that Microsoft Outlook won't allow me to
                >set an address to block. So, at work I have to filter by the
                >address fragment to a folder, usually named "spam", and then go in
                >there and delete it.

                I'm using a freeware program called POPFILE that uses statistical
                probability to auto-categorize messages as spam or clean. If it puts
                something in the wrong bucket, you go tell it where it goes and it will
                guess better on messages like that in the future. After about 3 weeks
                it's guessing better than 98% correctly. It works with almost any
                e-mail program that uses POP (ie, not web based).

                In outlook, I set my pop server to point to popfile - and it points to
                my real pop server. When I retrieve messages, it guesses if they are
                good or spam and adds a header record (or a [spam] to the subject)
                which I use to filter the spam into a spam folder.

                > http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

                Hope you find this useful!