Cub Leader Pow-Wow

  • Lady T <eagleladyt@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2003
      A good friend and I held our first cub leader pow-wow today. One
      hurdle after another, almost a constant barrage of hurdles were
      thrown at us in pulling this event together. It had to be hosted by
      the District, our Council would not allow us to have a council-wide
      event.

      However, we held it at a District level, and invited other districts
      to join us, although there were only about a half-dozen people in
      attendance from other districts.

      Our theme was Land of the Pharaohs, and the co-chair and I had a
      great time with the theme! We received lots of compliments. The
      last pow-wow in our council was held 2 years ago, and was very poorly
      organized. We received lots of praise regarding how much better than
      the last one today's event was. We also had our one or
      two "grumpies," who were complaining about the location and the
      restrictrictions requested of them (it was at an LDS facility, and we
      could not allow smoking or caffienated beverage on the property).

      Attendance was not as great as I had hoped it would be, we had a
      total of 83 in attendance today, our staff members brought the
      numbers up to approximately 100 folks.

      All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good event. I'll get to look
      over the evaluations later in the week, but I've heard the vast
      majority of them are favorable.

      Trish
      (formerly known as Redhotladyscorpion)

      Keith, thanx for all the tips at Philmont this summer!
    • leslie (in Michigan)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2003
        Been there, done that. I have faced some of those
        same hurdles. Our SE said "if you want to do a PW go
        volunteer to staff one in the next council". That was
        12 years ago, and he is no longer SE. We put one
        together (after convincing the VP of Program that it
        was necessary) and have been holding them every other
        year ever since.

        Don't think that you ONLY had 85 participants. Think
        of them as 85 more CS leaders who have had an
        opportunity to learn.
        ---
        Leslie
        Blue Water Council
        http://www.powwow-online.net

        --- "Lady T <eagleladyt@...>"

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • antelope95@cox.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2003
          I just helped teach a class at out CLPW yesterday. We do it every
          year, and it's always a councilwide event. I think it's so well
          established now that it's almost a "cut and paste" event. Most
          of the planning is documented, and the hardest part is to get the
          event staffed, themed, and a location.

          As with most events, some times they are so-so, sometimes they're
          not so good, and others they are excellent. It all depends on
          the event "dynamics".

          I'm curious, though, why a council would require an event of this
          size to be done on a District basis? That raises some red flags
          to my recent experiences in my home council/District.

          Leslie wrote...

          > Been there, done that. I have faced some of those
          > same hurdles. [snip]

          YiS,

          Chuck
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2003
            > ----------
            > From: Lady T <eagleladyt@...>
            > Subject: [Scouter_T] Cub Leader Pow-Wow
            >
            > A good friend and I held our first cub leader pow-wow today. One
            > hurdle after another, almost a constant barrage of hurdles were
            > thrown at us in pulling this event together. It had to be hosted by
            > the District, our Council would not allow us to have a council-wide
            > event.

            You've got to be kidding? Were they afraid of a big financial
            loss? After your success have they changed their minds for next
            year?

            Pete