Re: Scout Sunday

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2003
      > What do you do for Scout Sunday? I need some ideas. In the past we have just
      > worn our uniforms to church that day. We typically do a service project on
      > Good Friday and clean up around the church.
      >
      > Keith Dowd
      > Cubmaster, Pack 91
      > Mt. Elam Baptist Church
      > Coharie District / Tuscarora Council
      > Spivey's Corner, NC

      What our Pack does is attend church together for Scout Sunday and any
      special services (i.e. Thanksgiving, Flag Dedication, etc.). We're
      sponsored by a church, so we attend that church. MOST of the boys attend
      the other church in town (small town). So, we also go to THAT service the
      following week.

      Since we're in a rural community, the "big" church where most boys attend,
      shares their pastor with another church a few miles away. Because the
      sister church has a LATER service, we normally attend THAT, too. Yes, it's
      a bit rough for the boys (even for some of the adults!) to sit through two
      services, but it doesn't hurt them to do so, and the boys normally surprise
      us at how well they behave.

      The Boy Scout Troop associated with our pack (again, small town) normally
      performs at least PART of the service for the church -- responsive reading,
      special song, etc. Our Cubs help in holding the door, serving as greeters,
      serving as ushers, distributing the programs, and even taking offering.

      Also, our Boy Scouts attend church on "Service Sundays" -- the Sunday before
      any honored day (President's Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Veteran's Day,
      etc.) and provide the "sermon" part of the service. They normally each read
      inspirational readings or poems.

      Memorial Day we travel to two cemeteries (we alternate between four) and the
      American Legion for wreath-laying services. Again, each Boy reads a short
      poem or inspirational reading, and provides a Color Guard. The American
      Legion then feeds everyone who attended as a thank you for giving up a part
      of their 'holiday' to honor the veterans.

      For the 9/11 service, our Boy Scouts did the readings/poems and Color Guard
      for the community service.

      Ida Lively
      -Pack/Troop/District Committee
      Juniata Valley Council